The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 104 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Are you kidding me??? hahahaha.

Adelina's PCS is almost same as YuNa. go watch the video in Youtube.

Adelina's PCS increases 20 points by 2 month. A BIT OVERSOCRED FOR EVERYONE??

REALLY?? IS THAT YOUR WAY TO INGORE THE TRUTH????

OMG, why are you yelling? :frown:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do u ever see a player hug a referee in Soccer, NBA,NFL, Hockey after winning a championship. I have NEVER seen this. If u do... we call this conspiracy.

I've never seen any of those athletes do an axel or a layback spin. I've seen a lot of handshakes after sporting events. Just saying..circumstantial yes...concrete no.

yuki90

On the Ice
Do u ever see a player hug a referee in Soccer, NBA,NFL, Hockey after winning a championship. I have NEVER seen this. If u do... we call this conspiracy.

The thing is not just Russian judge hugged with Sotnikova.
In the picture, the person right next to the Sot. and hugged is also judge panel who is from Finland.

kslr0816

On the Ice
Problem was the judge's personal connection to the Russian skaters via her husband's position. That is called "conflict of interest" and it is a real problem. I think the hug was just a clear demonstration that the conflict of interest existed. Also, if you look at the video, Adelina pushes past at least two other people at that moment to get to the judge for that hug.

Personally, I believe that it really is an impropriety on the part of the judge--not Adelina. Judges need to quietly leave the building, not go about congratulating skaters. But they should not have personal relationships with the skaters in the first place. And that is a problem that the ISU needs to address. This particular judge should not be judging senior elite events because of her husband's position.

i do agree with this - i don't think it's professional nor do i think it's appropriate. yes, you'll usually have someone of the same nationality/country on the panel, but this went a little beyond that - people shouldn't forget the tech panel either, with adelina's former coach on it.. that's crazy conflict of interest.

the more i think about it the more outrageous i think it is. people are saying yeah its normal or it's happened, but it just isn't right/wise of them. my god if i didnt know better i would have thought that woman was her mother. in no other circumstance could i see this as being normal

BhDaEaHIAAAElhW.jpg:large

twitter handle is: This sums up the sport. Not necessarily cheating, but enough to make you go Hmmmmn

yuki90

On the Ice
i do agree with this - i don't think it's professional nor do i think it's appropriate. yes, you'll usually have someone of the same nationality/country on the panel, but this went a little beyond that - people shouldn't forget the tech panel either, with adelina's former coach on it.. that's crazy conflict of interest.

I understand If Russian judge just hugged Sot. BUT what about the judge from Finland???
Lol.

(I've never actually understood comparing one sport to another. "Well, it is like if in..... er.... cricket such-and-such were to occur". Every sport is so different, and has so different rules, that I've never quite seen the point myself.)

All sports have this in common, that the athletes have a right to expect neutrality on the part of the officials whose decisions determine who wins and who loses.

Figure skating is almost unique in that the judges are part of the team, with a personal stake in the outcome.

On the other hand, the all-time successful Olympic athlete was the emperor Nero. He won every contest he entered -- dozens of them, including singing. ;)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

kslr0816

On the Ice
I've never seen any of those athletes do an axel or a layback spin. I've seen a lot of handshakes after sporting events. Just saying..circumstantial yes...concrete no.

yes, but handshaking is more like, good game/respect kind of thing. this is a congratulations (right after i judged your and yours competitors' scores)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All sports have this in common, that the athletes have a right to expect neutrality on the part of the officials whose decisions determine who wins and who loses.

Figure skating is almost unique in that the judges are part of the team, with a personal and stake in the outcome.

On the other hand, the all-time successful Olympic athlete was the emperor Nero. He won every contest he entered -- dozens of them, including singing. ;)
I completely agree and completely :rofl:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Maybe the ISU should change the rules so that the only judges on the panel have to be from countries that do no have a skater in the competition. At least that would cut down on some of the bias...until someone's federation buys them out. :laugh:

leafygreens

Final Flight
How quickly they forget Sarah Hughes.

MK and Slutskaya imploded. Yuna and Caro skated perfectly. There's no "Sarah Hughes" excuse here.

Still…it sends the wrong message. What if it were the World Cup in soccer. One team wins on a controversial referee's call, and the referee in question immediately rushes over and starts high-fiving the victors.

Exactly.

No judge has ever hugged a skater before? Ever ever ever?

We are 6 days into the controversy. Where are the pictures of other judges hugging winners at the Olympics? Shouldn't they have been exposed by now, if they exist?

Back to Adelina. Not only did the judge hug her, she hugged her as if she knew her very well, almost like family because the judge is the wife of her federation's president. This clearly breaks the rules of conflict of interest. Then we have the judge with the blue collar (the "Finland" official with the Russian name) who was also on the panel, waiting with baited breath to congratulate her. Not suspicious at all!

Then there is Yuri Balkov... Problem after problem after problem with the judge's behavior.

ladyepheu said:
Here are the picture comparing ice coverage
i.imgur.com/2I8PTPb.jpg
i.imgur.com/mEo6mFQ.jpg
i.imgur.com/xanuQIb.jpg

WOW. Everyday I log on expecting the furor to have died down, but every day there is more evidence that Adelina did not deserve to win.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adelina's PCS increases 20 points by 2 month. A BIT OVERSOCRED FOR EVERYONE??

REALLY?? IS THAT YOUR WAY TO INGORE THE TRUTH????

You do realize that was my point. In one month both Caro and Adelina went up 20pts.

kslr0816

On the Ice
Maybe the ISU should change the rules so that the only judges on the panel have to be from countries that do no have a skater in the competition. At least that would cut down on some of the bias...until someone's federation buys them out. :laugh:

:laugh: check every judge's bank account! we need to see for large and sudden monetary increases.

yuki90

On the Ice
How about this approach. When I look at the protocols http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2014/owg14_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf
I could easily say...well I see two that love Yuna and the must be the Korean and a someone they clearly influenced. It's only based in circumstantial and bias. Is it not? Yet I could argue it to death. Right?

You are delusional. In FS, there was no Korean judge and 2 of judes gave generous score to Sot. dont you see??

2 of judges who gave ridiculous PCS AND ALL +3 GOE to Sot. gave YuNa 7~8 on PCS

Seriously, these judges gave 9.75, 9.5 9.75 9.75.. to Sot and to YuNa 7 on PCS.

Are you [*********] just trying to defend this corrupt judge????

Last edited by a moderator:

kslr0816

On the Ice
You are delusional. In FS, there was no Korean judge and 2 of judes gave generous score to Sot. dont you see??

2 of judges who gave ridiculous PCS AND ALL +3 GOE gave 7~8 on PCS.

Seriously, these judges gave 9.75, 9.5 9.75 9.75.. to Sot and to YuNa 7 on PCS.

Are you [**********] just trying to defend this corrupt judge????

omg... relax...

Last edited by a moderator:

LRK

Record Breaker

Figure skating is almost unique in that the judges are part of the team, with a personal stake in the outcome.

Totally OT, but since you mentioned Nero, and I do think it might amuse you, I just couldn't resist ;) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Nh-zSMzqo

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MK and Slutskaya imploded. Yuna and Caro skated perfectly. There's no "Sarah Hughes" excuse here.

Exactly.

We are 6 days into the controversy. Where are the pictures of other judges hugging winners at the Olympics? Shouldn't they have been exposed by now, if they exist?

Back to Adelina. Not only did the judge hug her, she hugged her as if she knew her very well, almost like family because the judge is the wife of her federation's president. This clearly breaks the rules of conflict of interest. Then we have the judge with the blue collar (the "Finland" official with the Russian name) who was also on the panel, waiting with baited breath to congratulate her. Not suspicious at all!

Then there is Yuri Balkov... Problem after problem after problem with the judge's behavior.

WOW. Everyday I log on expecting the furor to have died down, but every day there is more evidence that Adelina did not deserve to win.
Who are MK and Slutskaya? And what evidence did you discover today when you logged in? I'm willing to be convinced I promise you but when I look at what evidence that isn't circumstantial I'm more suspicious of the heart of the conspiracy itself it seems.