The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 126 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

usethis2

Medalist
Yuna's PCS was 74.5 - it was her TES that dropped from Worlds 2013. She stopped getting showered in +2 and +3s, so she got +12.2 GOE instead of the 16.51 GOE from Worlds 2013. She also got a mysterious Level 3 footwork sequence. She had little control over the GOE, but putting the 3S combination in the first half and only doing a Level 3 layback spin is entirely her fault. You have to go down to the 8th-place FS from Akiko Suzuki to find a LP with lower BV.

Well, I thought that was one of the things we discussed. Why Yuna's scores were held down in levels and GOEs while Adelina was showered with never-before-seen GOE and PCS.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gold, Lipnitskaia, and Sotnikova are not even in the same league as Kim, Asada, and Kostner. In fact, it's been that way since forever. But suddenly in the last month, they are able to outscore them apples to apples. :rolleye:

But Gracie and Julia didn't outscore Kim, Asada or Kostner. Not in TES, Not in PCS or overall. :think:

Again, you can't make a case out of a hypothetical scenario.

Ven

Match Penalty
I don't see what you have to gain for your case by picking on Gracie. You're actually mudding things a bit if you ask me.

Someone brought up the discussion of the French newspaper report. I commented that Gracie's score in the free skate was also suspect, compared the scores she has always received, and compared to her clean team skate.

It's not like Gracie had a magical moment and gave the skate of her life out there. She fell and made some mistakes. How she could have been scored so high does not make sense. Even more curious that American judge was swapped out and in came the Russians and Ukrainians.

usethis2

Medalist
Gold, Lipnitskaia, and Sotnikova are not even in the same league as Kim, Asada, and Kostner. In fact, it's been that way since forever. But suddenly in the last month, they are able to outscore them apples to apples. :rolleye:

Yup. The notion that one-fall Yuna/Mao/Caro equal one-fall Gracie or two-fall Yulia is absurd, to be frank.

CarneAsada

Medalist
But she wasn't clean. Yes you can do some math to assume what she would have scored, but since she wasn't ACTUALLY clean, I don't see what is to be gained form the exercise.

I don't see what you have to gain for your case by picking on Gracie. You're actually mudding things a bit if you ask me.
Well she got 68.33 PCS, lower than Asada's 69.68 by a measly 1.35. That's a major problem. But she wouldn't have outscored any of them had she gone clean. She would gain 1 for the fall and 2 for the GOE. Putting her sub-140 still.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Someone brought up the discussion of the French newspaper report. I commented that Gracie's score in the free skate was also suspect, compared the scores she has always received, and compared to her clean team skate.

It's not like Gracie had a magical moment and gave the skate of her life out there. She fell and made some mistakes. How she could have been scored so high does not make sense. Even more curious that American judge was swapped out and in came the Russians and Ukrainians.

She made ONE mistake -- the fall. YMMV, but I thought she performed quite well. She definitely performed that program better than she did all season.

The PCS were a bit inflated, no doubt, but I think you're barking the wrong tree if you're making a case for corrupt judging.

Ven

Match Penalty
But Gracie and Julia didn't outscore Kim, Asada or Kostner. Not in TES, Not in PCS or overall. :think:

Again, you can't make a case out of a hypothetical scenario.

Apples to apples...what do you think Julia's score would have been in the free skate if she had not fallen essentially twice?
Gold's?

Sotnikova's score bested Kim's Les Mis and almost set a new world record. Would anyone raise their hand if they thought Sotnikova's scores were deserved in comparison?
To say she deserved her scores because of jumping is also inaccurate...she flutzed and had an UR that weren't called.

usethis2

Medalist
But she wasn't clean. Yes you can do some math to assume what she would have scored, but since she wasn't ACTUALLY clean, I don't see what is to be gained form the exercise.

I don't think he is muddying the picture. He is suggesting legitimately possible hypothesis. (unless you think they can never go clean)

jaylee

Medalist
@verymuchso

L'Equipe article suggested the Russians and Americans conspired to rig the games.

Shouldn't we also ask about the suspect scores given to Gracie Gold? She scored 129 personal best for a clean skate in the team event (which was supposedly rigged for the Russians), but suddenly she scored almost 137 individual despite a fall and other mistakes? The protocols suggest she too would have beaten Carolina and Mao, and possibly Kim, had she gone clean.

It turns out that 3 ladies had very suspect scores...Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia, and Gold. Of course they just happen to be the top American and Russian skaters.

Gracie Gold's PCS rose from the team to the individual because she was unjustly lowballed in the team event. She had little reputation and was not on the radar coming into the games (outside of all the hype from US Nationals, which stayed within the US), and she was not skating for the gold medal favorite team. After she landed 7 triples in the team event, and everyone had a look at her skating, the judges realized they should have rewarded her more for what she did.

Her performance was also better in the individual, in spite of the fall, and her jumps had better flow, hence getting more +GOE (she had some tight landings in the team event).

You--and others--need to stop making a conspiracy theory out of EVERYTHING. It undermines any legitimate point you might have about the scoring system and whether it was properly utilized by the judges.

usethis2

Medalist
Had Yulia not fallen in FS she would have been on the podium, even with a fall in SP. Possibly as a silver. :laugh: (well, it is a scary thought even though I laughed)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
gracie gold's pcs rose from the team to the individual because she was unjustly lowballed in the team event. She had little reputation and was not on the radar coming into the games (outside of all the hype from us nationals, which stayed within the us), and she was not skating for the gold medal favorite team. After she landed 7 triples in the team event, and everyone had a look at her skating, the judges realized they should have rewarded her more for what she did.

Her performance was also better in the individual, in spite of the fall, and her jumps had better flow, hence getting more +goe (she had some tight landings in the team event).

You--and others--need to stop making a conspiracy theory out of everything. It undermines any legitimate point you might have about the scoring system and whether it was properly utilized by the judges.

:agree:

When it comes to any effort to make a change, you got to focus on the EVIDENCE at hand. Using speculative beliefs of what could have happened doesn't really help things.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Well, I thought that was one of the things we discussed. Why Yuna's scores were held down in levels and GOEs while Adelina was showered with never-before-seen GOE and PCS.
I actually thought Yuna's GOEs were more in line with reality here. I mean last year she got straight +2s and +3s for her layback. Adelina was just overscored, especially on her opening combination.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They want to get Gracie because of the L'Equipe article which based on the evidence of one Russian coach.

If you believe the article (and the coach), the conspiracy was pairs, dance and team and the players were Russia, U.S., and may be France and Italy.

Saying the article is right does not make sense.

1. Who benefited? Sotnikova and I and K. Maybe Plush in team.
Lipinitskaia got high scores in the team for what she did. Gracie got low scores in the team for what she did.

2. Frank complained about Gracie' s scores after the Team. Frank does not let go of that kind of grudge. Over 30 years later he is still complaining about Linda Fratianne' s scores. I would suggest that Gracie' s PCS went up for just that reason: to placate Frank and head trouble off at the pass.

3. Dick Button is right about two things. Why a French paper? I would presume the coach has good French contacts, which points to Morozov, who coached Florentine Amodio for quite a while, and coaches I and K now, or Zhulin, who coached Pechalat and Bourzat fir quite a while and now coaches Bobrova and Soloviev.

However, the only Russian team who got a raw deal this Olympics was B and S.

4. The other thing that Dick is right about is that they are too stupid to cheat. They are too busy with East Section infighting with West section. If they cheated it wouldn't be dance, it would be ladies. They have always felt that ladies was the whole pie

And the lady they would have been pushing for was Wagner.

Check they have given Meryl and Charlie so little hype before the games that interviewers are still not getting their names right- Meryl White and Charlie Davis :rolleye:.

Last edited:

usethis2

Medalist
:agree:

When it comes to any effort to make a change, you got to focus on the EVIDENCE at hand. Using speculative beliefs of what could have happened doesn't really help things.
It is not a speculative "belief," but highly possible scenario that actually happens in real world. Without such "belief," we cannot juggle our daily life let alone figure skating. How long would you wait for the next "speculative" bus? How much money would you keep on yourself when you go to a "speculative" movie? How would a skater and a choreographer make a program without a "speculative" score that they can expect?

Turning a blind eye is probably not a satisfactory answer to most people.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Gracie Gold's PCS rose from the team to the individual because she was unjustly lowballed in the team event. She had little reputation and was not on the radar coming into the games (outside of all the hype from US Nationals, which stayed within the US), and she was not skating for the gold medal favorite team. After she landed 7 triples in the team event, and everyone had a look at her skating, the judges realized they should have rewarded her more for what she did.

Her performance was also better in the individual, in spite of the fall, and her jumps had better flow, hence getting more +GOE (she had some tight landings in the team event).

You--and others--need to stop making a conspiracy theory out of EVERYTHING. It undermines any legitimate point you might have about the scoring system and whether it was properly utilized by the judges.
Jaylee, Ven was trying to help me with how to broach the subject with the Equipe reporter who has covered this topic already since the team events, since I proposed to contact the reporter. In her first report, the focus was on the alleged deal between Russia and US. So, I don't think Ven has an issue per se with Gracie's scores.
Anyway, although many of us are upset about the results, we all seem to see the problems in slightly different ways.

usethis2

Medalist
They want to get Gracie because of the L'Equipe article which based on the evidence of one Russian coach.

If you believe the article (and the coach), the conspiracy was pairs, dance and team and the players were Russia, U.S., and may be France and Italy.

Lipinitskaia got high scores in the team for what she did. Gracie got low scores in the team for what she did.

2. Frank complained about Gracie' s scores after the Team. Frank does not let go of that kind of grudge. Over 30 years later he is still complaining about Linda Fratianne' s scores. I would suggest that Gracie' s PCS went up for just that reason: to placate Frank and head trouble off at the pass.

3. Dick Button is right about two things. Why a French paper? I would presume the coach has good French contacts, which points to Morozov, who coached Florentine Amodio for quite a while, and coaches I and K now, or Zhulin, who coached Pechalat and Bourzat fir quite a while and now coaches Bobrova and Soloviev.

4. The other thing that Dick is right about is that they are too stupid to cheat. They are too busy with East Section infighting with West section. If they cheated it wouldn't be dance, it would be ladies. They have always felt that ladies was the whole pie.
Very sound analysis there.

Ven

Match Penalty
Gracie Gold's PCS rose from the team to the individual because she was unjustly lowballed in the team event.

She was lowballed into a personal best!

Gracie's score was reasonably accurate in the team event. The problem was Julia's score was grossly inflated by comparison. Obviously there was not a 12 point gap between the two.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

4. The other thing that Dick is right about is that they are too stupid to cheat. They are too busy with East Section infighting with West section. If they cheated it wouldn't be dance, it would be ladies. They have always felt that ladies was the whole pie

And the lady they would have been pushing for was Wagner.

Check they have given Meryl and Charlie so little hype before the games that interviewers are still not getting their names right- Meryl White and Charlie Davis :rolleye:.

^This. Times a quadrillion zillion dillion.

The USFSA has never given two figs about ice dancing. As Doris said, it is ALWAYS the ladies (with the gentlemen a distant second).

As I said in another post, you can also make a case that the real target for the L'Equipe article was Virtue and Moir, to upset them enough a Russian dance team could outskate them for silver. Really, you can spin this article several ways--which tells me for a conspiracy, it is not a particularly focused one. And all based on anonymous Russian coach.

Swiss cheese has fewer holes.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
^This. Times a quadrillion zillion dillion.

The USFSA has never given two figs about ice dancing. As Doris said, it is ALWAYS the ladies (with the gentlemen a distant second).

As I said in another post, you can also make a case that the real target for the L'Equipe article was Virtue and Moir, to upset them enough a Russian dance team could outskate them for silver. Really, you can spin this article several ways--which tells me for a conspiracy, it is not a particularly focused one. And all based on anonymous Russian coach.

Swiss cheese has fewer holes.
Celine Nonny, the author of that article, said herself in her next article on the ladies event that the deserving ones won until the ladies event. So she also finds only the ladies results controversial and does not swear by what she was told by the anonymous Russian coach.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Upsetting V and M is almost credible- they have had the Tessa and Scott reality show on tv and they have revealed far too much about themselves. Someone might have believed they could mess with their heads.