All That Skate and Stars on Ice (Japan) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All That Skate and Stars on Ice (Japan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPWest

Rinkside
Are you skaters' accountant? Yuna's accountant? Mao's? How can you know who pay what? Trolling much? It's boring. You should visit skaters' social media, like twitter, instagram, to see how they are doing while touring aroud Japan. Besides, Japan has really many shows. Korea- only one. In terms of fans=money Japan is better for skaters. More shows, more money. But if they have a time window to visit Korea's shows, why not. They are doing their work. Don't see a problem.

Japan is really a magnet for skaters to go for competitions as well as for shows, with such supportive communities and fans! from the pics from the current SOI shows, i am happy for all skaters being able to tour with it post-season. and there are more shows to come during the summer.

seabm7

Final Flight
Why isn't Yuna invited to Stars On Ice?

Which tour are you referring to? There are Canada, Japan, and the US versions.

I noticed that recently, both US and Canada versions are emphasizing the local / North American skaters. For the US version, the last time a non-North-America-resident was invited would be Shen and Zao in 2009. For the Canadian version, I do remember Stephane Lambiel and Javier Fernandez got invited recently, but cannot recall anyone else.

For the Japan version, I don't think I have to worry about it. For me, the more ice shows the better.

cooper

Medalist
^i think she had horrible history with img korea only.. i still remember plushenko's fans talked about this one time on another forum..and how painful that was for yuna.. but i don't think she have a problem w/ img outside of korea..

and for sure she doesn't need them.. she's doing fine for herself.. thank you very much.. :biggrin:

NMURA

Medalist
^i think she had horrible history with img korea only.. i still remember plushenko's fans talked about this one time on another forum..and how painful that was for yuna.. but i don't think she have a problem w/ img outside of korea..

I don't think she has participated any IMG-related events since 2007. Her only appearance at an ice show in Japan was DOI (Dreams on Ice) of that year, which is not an IMG event. In 2010, when Shen/Zhao did a show in China (Artistry on Ice), they had planned to invite Kim (along with Asada, Rochette, et al). But they never succeeded (reportedly "declined" by Kim). Since that show was dominated by IMG-contracted skaters. it is more reasonable to assume that they had pressure from IMG not to invite Kim.

cooper

Medalist
I don't think she has participated any IMG-related events since 2007. Her only appearance at an ice show in Japan was DOI (Dreams on Ice) of that year, which is not an IMG event. In 2010, when Shen/Zhao did a show in China (Artistry on Ice), they had planned to invite Kim (along with Asada, Rochette, et al). But they never succeeded (reportedly "declined" by Kim). Since that show was dominated by IMG-contracted skaters. it is more reasonable to assume that they had pressure from IMG not to invite Kim.

but yuna did participate in shen/zao's artistry on ice on 2012.. ;)

chairmanmao

Final Flight
What are your thoughts about these ice shows in terms of their popularity
I was quite surprised to see that some of Yuna's close friends like Patrick Chan and as well as old colleague like Carolina Kostner who participated in Yuna's ice show before will be in Japan.
Is Stars on Ice is an international ice show that travels or is it Mao's show.

I was just surprised how to see some of the casts (not that familiar) in Yuna's as well as Stars on Ice (lots of familiar faces).

I wonder if people were offered jobs but they had to choose one or the other, or simply others weren't invited. Any inputs would be appreciated.

SOI Japan has Olympic champion Sotnikova. You won't see that in Korea:lol.

cooper

Medalist
What horrible history did Yuna have with IMG? What happened?

at that time yuna struggled to get sponsors.. img korea did nothing to her and to top all that this happened way back in 2007.. img korea were the organizers of this event..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlzLY_nhFw&feature=player_embedded

Did you know there was a really sad, tearful stroy behind this gala program?

The story goes back to the year of 2007...

Plushy fans will remember the occasion when Plushy visited Korea again for annual Super Match, and how the show was cancelled because the arena got caught on fire and burnt down.

At that time, Yu-Na was one of the guest skaters who was invited to the show just as Plushenko, Yagudin or others were. A few hours after the fire, the show agent Sema and sponsor Hyundai Card did something very terrible to Yu-Na. All of a sudden, the name of the show changed from "Hyundai Card Super Match V 07 Superstars On Ice" to "Yu-Na Kim Ice Show". These nasty businessmen took it out on Yu-Na and forced her to make an apology at press conference as if it were Yu-Na's responsibility that the show was cancelled!

As you can see in the picture, there was no one but Yu-na alone at the press conference.

http://www.cbs.co.kr/nocut/show.asp?idx=617792

The cowardly producer, director and sponsor people were all hiding in the back, and this 16-year-old little girl had to make an apology for the fire and cancellation.

What's even worse, Sema and Hyundai Card did nothing at all. Yu-Na alone gave a free performance to the fans in compensation at the amusement park, which is "Once Upon A Dream", an exhibition program ever presented in front of audience only this time once. I cannnot watch this program without tears. So fragile to bear such burdens on her little shoulders... yet she seems so peaceful and transcendent in this video, almost ethereal.

(I recomment you to watch it in high quality. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IlzLY_nhFw)

Actually, this public rink in the amusement park used to be Yu-Na's main training place because she never had her own rink to practice at in Korea. Imagine she had to go to a public rink where people take photos of her, and where there is no proper heating system that she would get injured frequently. 2008-2009 was the first season she's been completely injury-free as now she trains in Toronto.

Nonetheless,Yu-Na never forgets her hard old days, and a lot of the money she earns from starring in commercials goes to funding for young prospective figure skaters. This is one of the reasons why Koreans adore her so much - she's totally the underdog dream come true. No funding, no support, no sponsors...yet she made it through. I'm always in awe of her perfection, because I know all the difficulties she must have gone through to get there.

Yu-na Kim performing "Once Upon A Dream" 2007.9.16 Seoul Lotteworld Ice rink.

http://plushenko.forumfree.it/?t=40151569&st=15

Mishia

Spectator
If I remember right, there was a bank that wanted to give sponsorship to Kim. and the bank kept contact with IMG. but IMG rejected it without telling her. so finally the bank called Kim directly, (I guess it was not Kim, maybe it was kim's mom who got the call). then Kim realized that IMG rejected those sponsorship and TV commercial ..
I don't know why they rejected good opportunities, but it happened. IMG wasn't really helpful to Kim...that's why she left IMG but right after she left ,IMG started a lawsuit against Kim. and IMG told her to join Hyundai Card Super Match V 07, then they said they will drop a suit. well then you know the fire and cancelation..
Back then she did not have enough money, she did not even have the right skate boots. she needed to have sponsor.. and for sure IMG knew.but they did not help her at all.
Even her fans collected money to buy her boots..

ahy

Final Flight
Sorry but what is IMG, her agency?
Byw i admire hiw Yuna can be so peaceful even in those situations :(

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
at that time yuna struggled to get sponsors.. img korea did nothing to her and to top all that this happened way back in 2007.. img korea were the organizers of this event..

If I remember right, there was a bank that wanted to give sponsorship to Kim. and the bank kept contact with IMG. but IMG rejected it without telling her. so finally the bank called Kim directly, (I guess it was not Kim, maybe it was kim's mom who got the call). then Kim realized that IMG rejected those sponsorship and TV commercial ..
I don't know why they rejected good opportunities, but it happened. IMG wasn't really helpful to Kim...that's why she left IMG but right after she left ,IMG started a lawsuit against Kim. and IMG told her to join Hyundai Card Super Match V 07, then they said they will drop a suit. well then you know the fire and cancelation..
Back then she did not have enough money, she did not even have the right skate boots. she needed to have sponsor.. and for sure IMG knew.but they did not help her at all.
Even her fans collected money to buy her boots..
:points: Hear, hear. Excellent Cinderella story with IMG as an evil step-mother. Everyone around Yuna is a demon. Judges are corrupted demons when they don't put her 1st. Her rivals are talentless demons in shadow of Her Greatness. Other skaters' rivals are bottish demons. Orser was her past demon. Her boyfriend is her present golddigger demon. KSU is helpless money-eater demon. That fire in the rink was set up by the Satan himself. Did I forget anyone?

This thread turned out to be quite useful after all- it showed the new facts about Yuna, new at least for me. You don't walk out of the valid contract arbitrarily by your own sole decision. That is what contracts are for- to set the obligations. Yuna did. After that she did whatever she could to create a negative image of her ex-agent. I agree with another poster- Yuna won't be and shouldn't be invited to IMG events. No one need a party that doesn't follow the contracted obligations and who gets badmouthing about ex-business partner.
Fires do happen. I am sure if the fire happened in Prince Ice World or Dreams on Ice rinks and the shows get canceled, then Mao, Yuzuru, Daisuke or any other headliner would addreess the public.
IMG are no angels. Yet IMG's clients like Kozuka, Honda take part in other agents' shows. Daisuke used to be their client, broke up with them, nevertheless he was always invited to IMG's Stars on Ice. It's business. It's normal.
How many shows does Yuna do a year? Like competitions, ocassionally :laugh:? Why doesn't she tour around Korea? Korea is not a city, not everyone can come to Seoul.

treeloving

Medalist
I don't understand why this show never invite Japense skater though, of course she is rival with Mao but how about Yuzu or Dai?

Status
Not open for further replies.