Who would benefit from competing at Four Continents | Golden Skate

Who would benefit from competing at Four Continents

ilovepaydays

Rinkside
Assuming that they skate well at Nationals and made the Turino team...would any of the US skaters benefit from competing first at Four Continents?

Would doing a smaller international competition help them in COP experience? Perfomance confidence?

4CC is in late January and in Colorado Springs, CO so they wouldn't have to travel far.

Here are some names I throw out:

Ladies:
Kwan
Liang
Messner
Hughes

Men:
any of them?

Pairs:
Orcher/Lucash
Hinzmann/Parchem
Evora/Ladwig

Dance:
Silverstein/O'Meara

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwan, IMO, will benefit the most of any skater in any discipline from doing 4CCs, since she has not had her current programs tested under the current CoP rules at all. If there is any doubt or controversy over Kwan's making the Oly team (either because of the judging at Nats or because she is given a medical bye), then maybe (if Michelle is well enough), 4CCs could be used by Michelle and the "third girl" to determine who gets to go to Olys. Also -- could the USFSA delay naming the Oly team to give Tanith more time to become a citizen? I understand that Sen. Levin is planning on reintroducing the amendment to other legislation, but it allows 30 days of processing where an international event is at issue -- and the bill might not be passed quickly enough to give Tanith that 30 days before the Oly team is named.

Good points, Attnfan - I'm still expecting a retirement announcement at Nationals. I do believe the body has suffered enough.

However, if I am wrong and she does skate Nats and comes out 4th then a trip to the 4CC would be imperative if she is to go to the Olys.

Still no news about La Kwan and well, that's the way it is in Kwanland.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Actually I think there are many skaters who could benefit...

....from 4CC participation, but for varying reasons.

MK under conditions already mentioned. I would think this event will be somewhat questionable in terms of being a benefit or not for people like I/B, O/L, maybe a couple of the men (although I think that event is a bit up for grabs on some level), and Cohen.

But IMO many of the younger and/or less internationally prominent skaters/teams could potentially benefit from this event. This is considered an international championship. So unless a skater or team is a serious Oly podium contender, in which case there can and will be any number of pro's / con's related to Oly's, why NOT go for a medal (or just more experience) at an international competition?

In any case, it will be interesting to see who participates!

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
So who benefits?

Kwan, for obvious reasons

Who else? Maybe the third place finisher at Nats may also benefit from doing the Four Continents. If Cohen doesn't do so well at Nats, a little extra exposure couldn't hurt her as well. (Isn't 4CC's in Colorado, BTW? It could be a good way to prepare for the OLYs in more ways than one.)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Red Dog, just to clarify, I wasn't talking about strictly anyone who benefits relating to Oly's. I think there are pro's and con's no matter where you are on the charts, and mainly pro's for US skaters who may not be considered Oly contenders.

DG

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Lysacek is doing a new program, he would definitely benefit from one more performance before Torino (assuming he makes the Olympic team).

flowjo35

On the Ice
attyfan said:
Kwan, IMO, will benefit the most of any skater in any discipline from doing 4CCs, since she has not had her current programs tested under the current CoP rules at all.

Attyfan, hopefully if MK makes the team she will go if healthy. It would be good for MK to get both her programs out there before an international panel of judges to get feed back on what needs to be improved before the olympics. I know that in Phil Hersh's recent article he stated something about the possility of 4CC, but it was not a quote from Michelle. I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes at nationals. What is the time frame between the last day of nationals and 4CC?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, the 4CCs is about 2 weeks after Nats, and 2 weeks before opening ceremonies at Olys. Therefore, I think it would be very hard for pairs skaters who are planning to go to Olys to do 4CCs, since they have to compete at Olys very close to opening ceremonies. It will be much easier for the ladies, since the ladies event is one of the last events at the Olys, so it is about a month away from the 4CCs.

Also, I believe that the USFSA names a "team" for the 4CCs after Nats, just like it does for Worlds.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
But IMO many of the younger and/or less internationally prominent skaters/teams could potentially benefit from this event. This is considered an international championship. So unless a skater or team is a serious Oly podium contender, in which case there can and will be any number of pro's / con's related to Oly's, why NOT go for a medal (or just more experience) at an international competition?
Yeah. In general the up coming and less known skaters would benefit from this competetion.

As for Kwan, this season if she does not make it to Nationals, USFSA may want to send her over to test out her programs, then decided if name her to the team or not. But if she makes it to Nationals, there is no doubt in my mind she'll earn her berth to the team. Then if USFSA offers her the slot to 4CC. It is Kamp's decition based on her situation to evaluate the pro and con if she should go.....like some poster said let's wait and see how National goes.

Red Dog said:
So who benefits?

Kwan, for obvious reasons

Who else? Maybe the third place finisher at Nats may also benefit from doing the Four Continents. If Cohen doesn't do so well at Nats, a little extra exposure couldn't hurt her as well. (Isn't 4CC's in Colorado, BTW? It could be a good way to prepare for the OLYs in more ways than one.)
Certainly anyone who is going to the Olys and wants to tweek their program before they go there. There are more skaters involved than just Cohen. Think Canada, Japan, China. The 4Cs are an answer to the Euros and Irina will be at Euros. It's an Olympic Year.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Certainly anyone who is going to the Olys and wants to tweek their program before they go there. There are more skaters involved than just Cohen. Think Canada, Japan, China. The 4Cs are an answer to the Euros and Irina will be at Euros. It's an Olympic Year.

Joe

I was focusing solely on the US skaters, but sure, skaters from other countries could do the same thing. Then we'll have a showdown of our own. :rock:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
The main difference between the US skaters (especially the California contingent) and the other skaters who might benefit is that they have one significant reason not to go -- travel (esp. for the Chinese pairs) OTOH, the Japanese have already used the 4CCs as a skate off, so we might see some of the "top guns" there.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I doubt if anyone who makes the Olympic team will participate in the 4CC's. Why risk even a slight injury? 4 CC's has never been that important a competition for the top US skaters so why change this year? The US will send the up & coming, promising youngsters, IMO.