2023 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Pairs Free Skate

yesterday

Record Breaker
Stuffie throw statistics: 3 animals thrown, one picked up. And this was with the disadvantage of throwing from the end opposite the kiss and cry. Lea Periera went out of her way to pick it up and take it to the kiss and cry.
I noticed that! 🙂

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Chan/Howe are actually the one team I do think got a very significant score boost (Sorry, Emily and Spencer), and I already thought so yesterday. This was definitely their best skate of the season and they should be in first, but the total score should be a good 5-7 or so points lower.
I couldn't agree more. That skate should never have broken 130. I would have had them at around the 126 mark.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Stuffie throw statistics: 3 animals thrown, one picked up. And this was with the disadvantage of throwing from the end opposite the kiss and cry. Lea Periera went out of her way to pick it up and take it to the kiss and cry.
I can beat that, as I threw a rose for Chan & Howe (and gave them a standing O, as that was the best I’ve ever seen them skate) and though it was collected by the sweepers, Spencer was playing with it in the shots from the green room :) I declare myself one for one in pairs today!

statmam

On the Ice
I can beat that, as I threw a rose for Chan & Howe (and gave them a standing O, as that was the best I’ve ever seen them skate) and though it was collected by the sweepers, Spencer was playing with it in the shots from the green room :) I declare myself one for one in pairs today!
It was charming the way Spencer used your rose to acknowledge the other competitors.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I had resisted commenting in the sp thread. There was such whining going on there about U.S. teams being favored, which is not the case. The team we all know who are favored to the nth degree are Miura/ Kihara. They have Canadian fans and U.S. fans, as well as their Japanese fans. In essence, they are globally loved and apparently can do no wrong, even with mistakes. I enjoyed them initially as a new team. I was excited to see them steadily improve. But then, suddenly in the lead-up to the Olympics, their scores skyrocketed, and their fans began claiming they could rival the Russians. Forget about the fact that they hadn't yet placed above the top two U.S. teams at major comps to that point. SMH

Sadly, I can't enjoy watching M/ K because I dislike the overdone hype, and the fact that no matter how they perform, the podium will be theirs, with the top spot almost ensured. All this because, 'Oh, it's so historic.' A lot of people can't wait to exclaim about the first Japanese pairs team winning Worlds, as if it's a fait accompli. The push was in for them to win Worlds last year in the absence of Russian teams, as if they were going to be able to. roll right over the U.S. teams, even though both teams were ahead of them at 2021 Worlds, and at 2022 Olympics! M/K are highly skilled and competitive. They have a unique connection, but they are not the best team in the world, despite their 'lovable' and favored status, with Japanese fed clout fully behind them.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I had resisted commenting in the sp thread. There was such whining going on there about U.S. teams being favored, which is not the case. The team we all know who are favored to the nth degree are Miura/ Kihara. They have Canadian fans and U.S. fans, as well as their Japanese fans. In essence, they are globally loved and apparently can do no wrong, even with mistakes. I enjoyed them initially as a new team. I was excited to see them steadily improve. But then, suddenly in the lead-up to the Olympics, their scores skyrocketed, and their fans began claiming they could rival the Russians. Forget about the fact that they hadn't yet placed above the top two U.S. teams at major comps to that point. SMH

Sadly, I can't enjoy watching M/ K because I dislike the overdone hype, and the fact that no matter how they perform, the podium will be theirs, with the top spot almost ensured. All this because, 'Oh, it's so historic.' A lot of people can't wait to exclaim about the first Japanese pairs team winning Worlds, as if it's a fait accompli. The push was in for them to win Worlds last year in the absence of Russian teams, as if they were going to be able to. roll right over the U.S. teams, even though both teams were ahead of them at 2021 Worlds, and at 2022 Olympics! M/K are highly skilled and competitive. They have a unique connection, but they are not the best team in the world, despite their 'lovable' and favored status, with Japanese fed clout fully behind them.
Well I hear you and I have to say making Chan and Howe out as so amazing also was overdone here. It's too bad DS and Dechamps had so many issues here. But M/K really right now along with Alexa and Brandon are the two contenders for gold. Without Russia, China and Canada being in a lull you have teams lucky Russia is not competing that they become bronze medal contenders - Chan and Howe, two Italians, Georgia, and Deanna and Max. But I do think all are significantly below the Russians and Sui and han including the top two contenders.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well I hear you and I have to say making Chan and Howe out as so amazing also was overdone here. It's too bad DS and Dechamps had so many issues here. But M/K really right now along with Alexa and Brandon are the two contenders for gold. Without Russia, China and Canada being in a lull you have teams lucky Russia is not competing that they become bronze medal contenders - Chan and Howe, two Italians, Georgia, and Deanna and Max. But I do think all are significantly below the Russians and Sui and han including the top two contenders.
Georgia had no teams at Euros. One split up, the other are recovering from a severe injury. I am not so sure they are in the discussion. There will only be one Italian team at worlds as none participated last year due to Covid so they have one spot only. China : Peng and Jin are a question mark. Will they be at worlds? If so, I certainly wouldn't count them out.

Canada is far from being in a lull. Deanna and Max could have received a bit more love for their brilliant SP. Chan and Howe had the performance of the night in the LP.. It was a special moment. Deanna and Max have brought back the 3S in the LP. It was not successful but that shows that they are working constantly to improve their chances.... Her throw flip was also not perfect but better landed than at many other occasions. They are improving despite the virus she had earlier on.

I wouldn't call that being in a lull. Lia and Trennt have added the throw 3S (they were previously only doing double throws). They are looking better and better each time out, especially with the lifts. Brooke and Ben were not at 4CC. They are solid. I don't think they quite yet have the charisma or connection with the crowd of the top 5 teams in the world, they are just out of juniors... but they are certainly a team to count on for the future.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you @4everchan. I was going to say similar regarding the Georgian teams. One team split (Metelkina/ Parkman -- they didn't have an impressive showing on the GP, but the split apparently has to do with personal reasons as stated by Parkman). The other team (Safina/ Berulava) have been missing-in-action due to injury.

I didn't know what to expect from Chan/ Howe at 4CCs, but they performed very well. They are a good pairs team with a lot capabilities and potential. They've been a team for several years despite this being their first year on the GP, and going to Worlds.

I don't think it's easy to skate as well as C/ H did coming right after a pretty clean skate by Lia/ Trennt. I think C/ H were prepared and they focused on themselves. They seemed very relaxed and determined. They probably had strategized with their coach, and they brought it, getting all the jumps out of the way first -- a good strategy in that altitude. Most teams placed their jumps in the first half, but C/H had both sets of jumps done first, and then the twist. It might be a gamble if they didn't land the jumps, but they did. And the program built from there, with energy and verve. Moreover, C/H projected and engaged with each other wonderfully well. I always enjoy an element of storytelling by skaters!

I enjoyed Lia/ Trennt too. They did well for themselves at 4CCs. They are obviously a new team, and they still need to continue developing advanced throws and perfect consistency on their sbs jumps, as well as getting better choreography to help define their pairing. Still, they are both good jumpers and they will continue to smooth out and further synchronize their overall skating. It was quite clear they went home and worked hard after their subpar performances at Cdn Nats. They looked more confident and at ease with each other at 4CCs. This was a very positive showing for them leading into Worlds.

Meanwhile, it was nice to see Deanna & Max increasing their form and fitness, despite a few errors and miscues. They are a wonderful pairing and will surely be in the competitive mix battling for at least bronze at Worlds.

I don't see any reason for your dissing Chan/ Howe's competent and fairly clean fp performance at 4CC. They truly performed engagingly well, and were noticeably comfortable and confident. That's a huge ask for any pairs team these days, with all the tech difficulty they are expected to perform in programs reduced by 30-seconds. This was one of the better performances I have seen by C/H. The other was their 2021 sp performance at the Cranberry event in Newton, MA (their home rink). Sadly, I didn't get to see each of C/H's performances on the 2022 GP, due to NBC/ Peacock's restricted coverage decision. Nor did I see C/H's opener at the 2022 U.S. International Skating Classic, in September. :( U.S. fed needs to do a much better job ensuring coverage for fans!

There has been no one that I've seen 'making out' anything OTT about C/H and their skating. Despite Spencer's fall in the sp, this was a great showing for them the way they stepped up in the fp with a very clean overall performance (just a few minor glitches on throw landings and a slightly awkward dismount on their final lift). If you don't root for them, okay. That doesn't negate how well they skated. Plus, understand that with Alexa/ Brandon not competing at 4CCs, C/H were the number 1 U.S. team at a home event, coupled with skating extremely well in the fp. Thus C/H's scores are not unreasonable. While Deanna/ Max skated well under difficult circumstances, it was still not up to their best level. At their best level, D&M could have rivaled the favored M/K.

Meanwhile, M/ K had negative GOE on both of their jumping passes and were slightly unsteady here and there, aside from tremendous lifts and smooth overall skating. They are also steadily improving their dismount quality on their 3-twist. Riku's position has always been amazing in the air, but typically with contact issues on dismounts. Judges have never taken anything off though. In any case, their dismount contact is noticeably more minimal, so thumbs up there. M/K's music selection and choreo this season are pleasant/ okay, but not outstanding.