2023 Four Continents Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Pairs Short Program

Seven Sisters

Medalist
@moonvine will be so proud of me!

Stuffie for the utterly adorable Kelly Ann Laurin, picked up by her personally

Rose thrown for Deanna, missed by sweepers and collected by Valentina Plazas, who gave it to Max, who gallantly presented it to Deanna, who posed with it in the KnC

Rose thrown for Valentina Plazas, great job kids!

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
This was a lovely ending to this segment. And that's 4CC for me, I fear it's just not my time zone. :(
dance is just in 1 hour
Gone are the days I set my alarm clock for H/D at 3.45 am :love2: . There's no one here I'd do the same for, but I'm trying to watch as it is still in my 'awake' hours... depending on what's on telly and the drink available :giggle:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Is it going to be home cooking when the Japanese pair gets a high score despite a major error?
There's certainly a difference between a pair capable of scoring 78 when clean, scoring 71 with a downgraded 3T fall (i.e. loosing 7 points), and a pair scoring 67 clean, and then scoring 67 with a fall on an underrotated 3T.

Personally, I'm not saying there was home cooking, but it is still important to keep in mind that the baseline level for all of these pairs is not the same and should not be treated like it is.

auser

Record Breaker
Gone are the days I set my alarm clock for H/D at 3.45 am :love2: . There's no one here I'd do the same for, but I'm trying to watch as it is still in my 'awake' hours... depending on what's on telly and the drink available :giggle:
Hope you will be joining us @LadyB! I miss H/D too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There's certainly a difference between a pair capable of scoring 78 when clean, scoring 71 with a downgraded 3T fall (i.e. loosing 7 points), and a pair scoring 67 clean, and then scoring 67 with a fall on an underrotated 3T.

Personally, I'm not saying there was home cooking, but it is still important to keep in mind that the baseline level for all of these pairs is not the same and should not be treated like it is.
I agree with the levels of pairs.. rr were hurt by their mistakes... not so much the two leading american pairs.

We are perhaps not in a salt lake city type of scandal but ice dance will be a huge test...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No cause with an error they got scored 7 points down from their SB while the USA teams with errors came much closer to their SBs.

I don't care enough to research this, but it's entirely possible that a prior season's best was also a flawed performance or included missed levels or came very early in the season before the program jelled and one would expect lower PCS.

There's no rule that a season's best is indicative of a flawless skate, only that it was the best scoring of their efforts.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I disagree. I’d have Deanna and Max above them. Folks sure are eager to pre declare them world champions. Oh well.
To be fair, if you want max and deanna on top, spencer and emily need to go much lower, same for pf. They both had their share of mistakes

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair, if you want max and deanna on top, spencer and emily need to go much lower, same for pf. They both had their share of mistakes
I don’t have a problem with P/F going lower. They certainly had mistakes. And yes C/H had a major error also. Not sure about “much” lower. 1 spot for C/H 2 for P/F.?

Ziotic

Medalist
I don't care enough to research this, but it's entirely possible that a prior season's best was also a flawed performance or included missed levels or came very early in the season before the program jelled and one would expect lower PCS.

There's no rule that a season's best is indicative of a flawless skate, only that it was the best scoring of their efforts.
While true S/D had one error that should have cost them max 2 points off their SB, yet they were almost 5pts shy.

C/H were less then a point off theirs with a fall and under rotation. For reference here is their season best where they skated completely clean.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, thanks to clients that demanded my attention, I basically missed the pairs program.

Oh well, I guess they don't pay me to watch figure skating.

When Ice Dance starts, there is only 30 minutes left in the work day. I hope they can leave me alone for that amount of time! LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don’t have a problem with P/F going lower. They certainly had mistakes. And yes C/H had a major error also. Not sure about “much” lower. 1 spot for C/H 2 for P/F.?
Much lower in scores not so much in ranking..
Trennt and Lia should be third. Emily and Spencer 4th. Kelly Ann and Loucas 5th. Just my opinion.. will be looking forward to see how each judge did their ranking.. spencer and emiliy getting higher pcs than max and deanna with a fall is bizarre to say the say the least...

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While true S/D had one error that should have cost them max 2 points off their SB, yet they were almost 5pts shy.

C/H were less then a point off theirs with a fall and under rotation. For reference here is their season best where they skated completely clean.

OK. If you care to take your research further, where on the protocols did S/H score better in this competition compared to the one you posted. If we assume they scored lower on the the SBS, then they would have had to have made that up in GOE or levels in other elements or in PCS. My bet is that their PCS is better here than it would have been at Skate Canada, since they've had three months or so to refine the programs. That's not shocking, and it's not evidence of a fix.

Similarly, where did S/D lose points? You say their error should have cost them two points, but I bet their throw in the SB was a lot better than this, meaning here they were dinged below base, but in their SB, they likely would have had a healthy positive GOE on the throw. I recall their throw at Skate America was awesome, and the differential between that throw and this one was certainly more than two points on the scoresheet.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of placements it is interesting that in ranking the #1 CAN vs USA, @2 CAN vs USA & #3 CAN vs USA, the Canadian judge consistently placed their own skaters lower than the American did. How is this home cooking? I also add that neither judge was out of line with the overall placement by the other judges. I am not seeing what you suggesting.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of placements it is interesting that in ranking the #1 CAN vs USA, @2 CAN vs USA & #3 CAN vs USA, the Canadian judge consistently placed their own skaters lower than the American did. How is this home cooking?

In that 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 matchup you reference, the American ranked the Canadian on top of the American pair every time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In terms of placements it is interesting that in ranking the #1 CAN vs USA, @2 CAN vs USA & #3 CAN vs USA, the Canadian judge consistently placed their own skaters lower than the American did. How is this home cooking?
Not surprising to many of us Canadian fans... this is a trend... Canadian judges rarely favour their own....

Last edited: