Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............ | Golden Skate

Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Do that have a chance at beating Navka/Kostomarov and winning the gold medal? They seem to have the best chance out of anyone of being able to do this if they bring it all to Turin. Maybe now there won't be a Russian sweep. I am interested in hearing your opinions.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if this has been confirmed (that they're going to Torino) but it now looks more likely that Belbin will get her citizenship so that they can get named to the team. They also must stay injury-free.

But other than that I don't follow ice dance so I have no idea. I'm inclined to say yes :laugh:

cmego500

Rinkside
It's still not guaranteed that they'll be in Torino because for the law to pass, Pres. Bush has to sign it. If he vetos it, she's screwed. I also heard that it has to be done by Jan 1st for her to get all her stuff on time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Many newspapers are already raising the possibility of her being there after there being basically no hope, so they have to know something we don't. Of course, that may not be the case, either.

orchid

On the Ice
cmego500 said:
It's still not guaranteed that they'll be in Torino because for the law to pass, Pres. Bush has to sign it. If he vetos it, she's screwed. I also heard that it has to be done by Jan 1st for her to get all her stuff on time.

He'll sign it. He needs all the friends he can get right now. :yes:

rain

Record Breaker
Even given success with the citizenship issue - no way in hell are they going to win that gold. If any one medal is sewn up in advance, it's N/K's grip on the OGM in ice dance IMO. I really wish they would be able to challenge, as I feel a number of other teams should be as well actually, but it won't happen. Not to sound too bitter, but this crowning has been in the offing for years and unless N/K make a significant number of glaring mistakes, they will win it — and easily.

What will be interesting is where the teams are left standing after the FD in Turin. Not only are there a number of teams who've come on strong this season - D/L, G/G — but there will also be the two returning former medalists F-P/Margaglio (something I never, ever hoped to see - sorry to their fans but I loathed this team) and D/V. Where will they find themselves slotted? How are they even skating?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Assuming that Tanith will be granted citizenship in time... no, I don't think they have what it takes to win the gold medal. Based on what I've seen this season, which I'll admit isn't a whole lot, I don't know that if everyone skates clean, that Tanith and Ben should even be on the podium. Their FD looks to be lacking something, though I'm sure it will look better at Nats than it did early on this season. Still, I don't see it as a winning program. I know they are the reigning world silver medalists, but Tanith still seems so far behind the other top ladies. Don't get me wrong, they are both very talented, and if they can stick it out another four years I think they could take it all in 2010, but IMHo right now they do not have the look of Olympic Champions.

cmego500

Rinkside
I didn't get to see them skate at Skate America but i will say this much, I loved their Black outfits lol. But i think they have what it takes to win a medal and it could be gold only if the top Russian team slips and falls (It's possible, the ice is slippery).

nuge

On the Ice
Noone has a chance of taking the gold from N/K unless they both fall flat on their asses :rofl: when they do their cantilever move :biggrin: B/A are extremely talented but I think they are not olympic podium yet.They will however I'm sure be on the world podium if N/K G/G retire.B/A FD music leaves me cold BTW.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
N/K did not skate well at Russian Nationals. Roman blew the twizzles in both OD and FD and there were a few wobbly moments as well.

If N/K make obvious mistakes, they are vulnerable, no matter how much the judges want to put them in first place. If they make the same kind of mistakes at Torino and B/A skate flawlessly, and N/K still win gold, there will be another big judging scandal.

B/A were on the World podium last year. Why would they not be Olympic podium material?

We have many knowledgeable posters in Golden Skate who will shed more than a speculative opinion on this topic. Has anyone heard how his injury is going?

Joe

nuge

On the Ice
chuckm said:
B/A were on the World podium last year. Why would they not be Olympic podium material?

I think because there is a big improvement in some of the other teams.C/S D/L for starters .Then there's the possibility of Denkova/Staviski skating well again and maybe moving back up .Also I don't think you can discount FP/MM .It's all going to be sooo exciting.There's never been an olympic dance competition that has been so open .

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C/S and D/L have improved, but B/A have improved as well. We just haven't seen B/A skate since Skate America so we have no recent comparison to the others.

Denkova/Staviiski were out with injury earlier in the season, and they didn't skate well at NHK at all. Why would they be better than B/A?

B/A beat the Lithuanians early this season, even though Tanith fell during the FD, cut her leg, had to stop to have the leg examined, then restarted.

I don't think the returning teams will be savvy enough with CoP to contend for the podium.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Tanith & Ben are the current world silver medalists. So yes, I think they have an outside shot at beating Navka/Kostomarov, especially if N/K don't skate clean, and Tanith & Ben do. I think it's a really *long* shot, because N/K are held in high esteem by the international judges; they are two-time and reigning World champions, and they have the experience. So it's unlikely . . . but possible, in my opinion.

I actually really like Tanith & Ben's free dance the year. In fact, so far it's my favorite of their free dances. The technical difficulty is incredible and very impressive, and they skated the program very well at Skate America.

Someone earlier commented that Tanith was "so far behind" the other top women ice dancers. I don't really understand that remark. I've always felt that Tanith was one of the very best in terms of expressing a program and "selling" it to the audience. And also she's strong technically, with the footwork.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
B/A certainly have the technique & panache (audience-reaction-grabbing skills) to beat N/K. I'm not certain that their current flamenco FD is the best vehicle with which to achieve this. If anything, the 'Spanish' theme will be closely compared with that displayed by N/K in their Carmen FD...and Diva Navka can out-Carmen any Carmen out there. B/A cannot win the Spanish-themed sweepstakes, I fear.

If I knew B/A personally, I would ask them to seriously reconsider their choice of FD theme & music....NOT make it Spanish....perhaps go to a more all-American & peppy jitterbug/40s theme, which is what they do best. Remember their OD of two seasons ago? THAT'S what they need to convey in this year's FD, if they wish to 'clobber' N/K at Olympics. Just my own humble opinion & advise. :rock:

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I think that Tanith and Ben are pretty evenly matched, where there are distinct inequalities in the other top skaters, where often one or the other is more dominant. Navka > Roman, Elena > Ruslan, Sergei > Galit, Albena > Max. And of course, Barbara F-P >> Maurizio.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
If I knew B/A personally, I would ask them to seriously reconsider their choice of FD theme & music....NOT make it Spanish....perhaps go to a more all-American & peppy jitterbug/40s theme, which is what they do best. Remember their OD of two seasons ago? THAT'S what they need to convey in this year's FD, if they wish to 'clobber' N/K at Olympics. Just my own humble opinion & advise. :rock:

I have to agree. I watched their FD a couple times, and honestly my impression both times was "It's missing something." Also, I can't be the only one who wishes more teams had not decided to do Latin FDs when the OD is Latin this year. B/A excell at quickstep-type routines--I really wish they wouldn't try to out-drama the Russians because they can't.

Re: the bill. President Bush has never vetoed ANYTHING, especially not spending bills. (It's gotten some conservatives peeved at him many times.) I would be stunned if he decided to start now.

Realistically, N/K are two-time reigning World Champions. They would have to blow it substantially in all phases to leave the door open wide enough for B/A to slip through. And as the reigning silver medalists, I don't see B/A placing third or missing the podium unless, again, they make some serious errors. Ice dance has changed, but not THAT much.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Health may be an issue for both teams. Groin injuries are tricky ones, and Navka had been experiencing back pain. Unless health-related, I don't put much weight on N/K's performance at Russian Nationals.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I can't see B/A actually WINNING in Torino. Beyond the fact that the OGM seems a lock for N/K and has seemed so for at least the last year -- due to Ben's injury they were not able to compete in the GP as much as they were planning on and weren't at the GP, so they'll be coming into Torino with fewer competitions under their belt than G/G, Del/Sch, etc, so they won't have as much CoP input to try and improve upon. But either silver or bronze IMO is a possibility, though the competition for that will be fierce as well.

It is going to be such a nice change of pace to, for once, actually have an Olympics where the dance results (at least past 1st place) are actually quite difficult to predict, as opposed to knowing who more or less the medalists are going to be as soon as the previous Worlds have been completed.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
I can't see B/A actually WINNING in Torino. Beyond the fact that the OGM seems a lock for N/K .....

Yes but wouldn't a SHOCKING WIN in one of the four skating divisions be just what the ISU needs to finally quiet the skeptics? And where else could the ISU make a more dramatic 'statement' than in the dance division? I honestly believe that if the ISU judges are going to give us a shocker, it will be in the dance. If all of the top teams skate to their ability, of course.

That is why, all along, I've been saying that the USA's greatest chance for a figure skating gold medal rests with Tanith & Ben...not Sasha or Michele or Johnny or or or.... That's why I've considered the drive for Tanith's citizenship to be extremely important. We're talking not just a podium spot but the big enchilada.

Last edited: