Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............ | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............

curious

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Yes but wouldn't a SHOCKING WIN in one of the four skating divisions be just what the ISU needs to finally quiet the skeptics? And where else could the ISU make a more dramatic 'statement' than in the dance division? I honestly believe that if the ISU judges are going to give us a shocker, it will be in the dance. If all of the top teams skate to their ability, of course.

That is why, all along, I've been saying that the USA's greatest chance for a figure skating gold medal rests with Tanith & Ben...not Sasha or Michele or Johnny or or or.... That's why I've considered the drive for Tanith's citizenship to be extremely important. We're talking not just a podium spot but the big enchilada.

N/K is the best team now so I don't see any upset there sorry lol! They just want to position B/A as the team to beat at Worlds. That's why getting a silver medal in Turino is so important for them:biggrin:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Navka/Kostomarov would have to make a HUGE HUGE error for Belbin/Agosto to even have a small chance of beating them. I dont see that happening, and even if it does, the judges will make sure they win the other dances by enough points to win overall. I also dont see a big scandal if Navka/Kostomarov win with a major error, dance is not that popular anyway, and the Olympics are not in the U.S this time around. People who have tried to argue dance results, have already been numbed with resistance by the powers-that-be(think the Gritschuk/Platov period winning with so many falls in the 97-98 season) it would take something more drastic than the dominant team not losing gold to an up and coming rival despite a major error to go there. I agree Belbin/Agosto are not a lock for even the silver, Grushina/Goncharov are atleast a threat to them this year, and possably a few others as well.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Assuming that President Bush signs the bill to enable Tanith to get her US citizenship, and that she and Ben are healthy and injury-free, I would expect them to skate for the silver or bronze medal at the Olympics. The gold medal is out of reach, as far as I'm concerned. Nobody is going to wrestle the gold from Navka/Kostomarov unless they make several huge mistakes, and that's simply not going to happen. That team is solid gold, IMHO. Even though their "Carmen" free dance is still being tweeked and improved, it's absolutely impressive, great skating, and full of intricate footwork and difficult lifts.

C'mon, George, sign that bill!!!!

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
eyria said:
Someone earlier commented that Tanith was "so far behind" the other top women ice dancers. I don't really understand that remark. I've always felt that Tanith was one of the very best in terms of expressing a program and "selling" it to the audience. And also she's strong technically, with the footwork.

That was my comment, and I stand by it. In terms of "expressing" a program... Tanith has exactly two expressions. "Queen of Perk" and "the O face". And she doesn't express the music with her whole body, her arms just flap about. She isn't quite polished enough, she still skates with a bent free leg and she doesn't point her toes. Technically, yes, she is very strong, but in ice dance that just isn't enough, at least not for me. When watching the top teams I still think Tanith looks... not exactly juniorish, but not quite finished yet. If all the skaters perform up to their ability, I'd have N&K, G&G, D&S (fra), D&V, C&S, and probably F-P&M ahead of B&A. 2010 could be another story entirely, Tanith may be able to smooth out the rough edges by then, but while I think B&A deserved the silver medal at Worlds last year based on how they performed compared to everyone else, right now in the current field of skaters they do not look like Olympic Gold medalists. But, they could surprise me, who knows?

nicole_l

Final Flight
I don't expect them to win gold, but I think that they've got a pretty solid grip on that silver.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
Personally I don't want to see Navka/Kostomarov win the Olympic gold medal! From what I hear they are craptacular this season and have made numerous mistakes. I also hear that their program is bland, not to mention Roman is one of the worse top 10 ice-dancers.. wait he is the worst. Maybe the Olympics will be their final judgement and they will get 10th place = what they deserve.
Wait? I don't think 10th is low enough for them. They are like the Green Day of the figure skating world, once great now lame. Maybe that wasn't a good analogy but I liked them better in 2002. Now they have fermented. Instead of getting better they are sucking even more. Why don't they just give up? Hopefully Tatiana or Roman will get the avian flu or get the hives and not skate? I don't want them to die, but I don't want them to do well at the Olympics. If they are not sick they can aleast skate poorly and fall on the asses all over the ice, and maybe even hit the boards or have a wardrobe malfunction?
I think it is time for Delobel/Scheonfelder to shine? They have a beyond brilliant free dance this season and I would hate to see them lose out to Nav/Kos because of the damn politiks and subjective judging. The only way Nav/Kos will win is if the Russian mafia holds all the judges at gun point and gives Carolina Kostner the ladies gold. Isn't it too obvious that Del/Shoe's FD blows Nav/Kos's out of the water, or in their case the ice? Let the best man and woman win and may that not be Nav/Kos!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Frau Muller said:
Yes but wouldn't a SHOCKING WIN in one of the four skating divisions be just what the ISU needs to finally quiet the skeptics?

Man, and I thought I was a bit of a conspiracy theorist.... :biggrin: :laugh: I do agree with your actual statement, but I don't think the SHOCKING WIN in Torino is going to occur in Dance. I'm thinking more in terms of the Men, but that's an entirely different thread..... Which I may or may not start later, depending on what kind of mood I'm in.....

Jasper

Final Flight
I've heard that they have until late January for Bush to sign, right? I think it'll still be up in the air during US Nationals. But I do think Bush will sign in time... I hope, at least.

Difficult to say if Belbin/Agosto can challenge N/K at the Olympics. I'd give them a slight chance, but I feel that N/K's is actually more dynamic and suited for the Olympics judges, whereas B/A's current FD is a little weaker and less compelling than their FD in past seasons. Too late for them to change music/program? There are certain other skaters I wish would please change music before it's too late... pssst, Jeffrey Buttle. I suppose it already is too late.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
According to FSU, the "Today" show reported that Pres Bush should sign the "Tanith Amendment" into law today.

~Muffin~

Match Penalty
I hope George signs that thing today! I would hate for them not to go because of our president's ignorance. Redeem yourself George and sign it!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dyan

On the Ice
My opinions on the N&K and B&A fall somewhere in between those of rain and dancindiva03.

I agree that B&A might not be quite ready to win the Olympic gold (they'll do that in Vancouver ;) ) but if we take a look at all the pluses and minuses of the other top teams they are definitely in the mix of medal contenders. Tanith is still developing her presentation skills but she is one of the best technical skaters in the world IMHO. At least when it comes to being able to pull of difficult footwork and upper body connections all while maintaining high speed. Plus I think B&A overall might be one of the only teams in which both partners are relatively equal. Most of the teams in contention have one partner who is considered much better than the other.

I see B&A as winning the silver but true they could also win the bronze or possibly even finish off the podium. I especially see this as a possibility in light of the results of the GPF. I've felt that C&S and D&S (Fra) had FD's that are at the very least equal to B&A's FD (which I love) but those two teams finished 4th and 6th in the FD portion. Then there is the strong showing by G&G which might be debated by some.

My fear is that the U.S. media will create controversy if B&A don't win a medal.

As for N&K, I realize I might be one of the few who believe this but they are a little underrated. If you watch their "Carmen" FD it does have the difficulty as well as polished and sophisticated presentation. Their basic skating skills are also very good; quality of edges and knee bend and good speed. They've also improved in how they sell the program throughout the season. I think there has been so much focus on Roman being the weaker partner that sometimes the positive qualities they do possess might get ignored. Another problem might be that at the moment there really isn't one or two really dominant teams as there has been in the past.

nuge

On the Ice
Dyan said:
I agree that B&A might not be quite ready to win the Olympic gold (they'll do that in Vancouver ;) )

I wouldn't count on that as the russians D/S and K/N will have climbed to the top by then ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
There was a feature story on ABC's World News Tonight (12/30) about the ordeal. In short, we can expect them to get everything done on time so they can represent us at the Olys.

Emilieanne

Rinkside
Wheeee...Dubya finally did something right!

Now...let's hope we have some exciting events to watch and that all the excitement will be on the ice and not at the judge's table. With the new scoring system, everybody will have to deliver the goods to get anything...let's just see how it all unfolds. It is all going to come down to who has the best skate at that time, and that ought to make for some excitement in and of itself.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And you bet a stink like this will bring in the RATINGS, RATINGS, RATINGS. Good news for NBC and crew. They'll milk this one to death. ABC, too, for it's coverage of Nats next month

The US having it's highest FS OGM chances in...ICE DANCING?!?! Now how's that for an upset.