Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............ | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Now that Belbin/Agosto will be competing in Turin............

nymkfan51

Medalist
Yes, mzheng ... they won gold at SA. Pulled out of NHK.
I'll be interested too, in seeing where they place, now that they can go to the Olympics. If they suddenly are only the 4th best team in the World, I will smell a big fat rat.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
nymkfan51 said:
Yes, mzheng ... they won gold at SA. Pulled out of NHK.
I'll be interested too, in seeing where they place, now that they can go to the Olympics. If they suddenly are only the 4th best team in the World, I will smell a big fat rat.
Or if they suddenly are only the fourth best team in the world maybe it means that teams 1, 2, and 3 have been working their asses off since last season.

nymkfan51

Medalist
dancindiva03 said:
Or if they suddenly are only the fourth best team in the world maybe it means that teams 1, 2, and 3 have been working their asses off since last season.

And if they skate better than Tanith and Ben, then there's no problem.
But if they don't ... like I said, there will be the odor of that big fat rat.

heyang

Record Breaker
Well, we'll have to see what happens. After all, B&K and F-P&M both had unexpected falls during their FD's in SLC.

I hope Ben & Tanith do well in Torino.

mzheng

Record Breaker
It was just that B/A had had this supprising fast track last season to climbed to silver at the 2005 worlds. While at the same time Bulgarials, the majore competetors to top Russian team at 2004 worlds, was dumped off the podium.

So let's see.

In any rate, I'm going to rooting for them at US Nationals and Olympics. I was pissed off by that letter written by Mitchell's mom.

orchid

On the Ice
Signed

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2005/12/30/1373811-cp.html

Now what, Ms. Mitchell ?

nuge

On the Ice
mzheng said:
It was just that B/A had had this supprising fast track last season to climbed to silver at the 2005 worlds. While at the same time Bulgarials, the majore competetors to top Russian team at 2004 worlds, was dumped off the podium.

Bulgarians will be back .They were sick and were lucky to skate as well as they did at worlds with disappointing programmes.They have better dances this year especially FD.

Dyan

On the Ice
nuge said:
I wouldn't count on that as the russians D/S and K/N will have climbed to the top by then ;)

True that D&S (Rus) will be the top Russian team after this season and they will be one of the teams standing in B&A's way of becoming world champions but in the last few years I've gotten the impression that nothing is written in stone anymore. Unfortunately I've never gotten to see K&N.

Look at what happened when K&O were forced into early retirement. It was a couple of years after that when L&A finally won worlds and that IMO may not have happened if A&P and F/P&M had not skipped worlds. True that F/P&M finished behind L&A in SLC but if they had decided to attend worlds I'm pretty sure they would have trained enough to not have similar performances to what they had in SLC.

I also think that the other two D&S's (Fra & Bul) will also provide some stiff competition for Tanith and Ben. Delobel & Schoenfelder have indicated that they will continue to compete through Vancover Olympics and IIRC Denkova & Stavisky will compete through the 06/07 season.

I still (maybe naively) believe that B&A will win the world title. I don't think they will win several in a row but at least one is in their cards.

mzheng

Record Breaker
nuge said:
Bulgarians will be back .They were sick and were lucky to skate as well as they did at worlds with disappointing programmes.They have better dances this year especially FD.
Great, I like see them win a medal at Olympics. IMO, they should've won 2004 Worlds, and many had the same feeling.

I read in FSU the season before, at one of the banquet of 2004 Worlds, a drunken Pisseev (Chairman of RF?) said to Bulgarians something like "we lend your coach, we lend your skater (Maxin?), now you want us Gold? I'll make sure you finished off podium."....back at that season the Bulgarians really running strong. And they were basically at the same foot as N/K with Gold and Silver from 2003 both retired.....But now the stage is clearly setup for N/K.

nuge

On the Ice
When I said the bulgarians will be back I was meaning that they will be hopefully back to their previous form.Un fortunately they skated really badly at NHK whether the groin injury was the cause we don't know.They skated the FD a lot better at their show in Bulgaria so I'm sure it will be improved by euros .It's such a good programme .Very difficult and lots of choreography .Whether they can succeed and finish on any of the podiums we'll have to wait and see but I'm not willing to give up on them yet.

euterpe

Medalist
Dyan said:
Delobel & Schoenfelder have indicated that they will continue to compete through Vancover Olympics and IIRC Denkova & Stavisky will compete through the 06/07 season.

I still (maybe naively) believe that B&A will win the world title. I don't think they will win several in a row but at least one is in their cards.

Delshoes said just recently that they didn't know if they would continue to compete after this season. That was a bit of a schocker, as they are still relatively young, compared to other teams.

I think B/A will be on top for more than one world title. I see their top competitors as DomShabs and by 2008, add Matthews/Zavozin and possibly Virtue/Moir. These are the teams who will be in the fight for gold in 2010.

fuido

Rinkside
As much as I love B/A, I'm pulling for the Canadian team of D/L. I think their dance is best this season, although it doesn't quite match the Russian team (N/K) technically.

I actually like N/K's interpretation of "Carmen" but I think it needs a lot of polishing to be the clear winner of the OGM. Bits of it are still sloppy and some of the transitions and timing are a bit off. If they clean it up I won't complain if they win.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I personally see Grushina and Goncharov as one of Belbin and Agosto's best competitors for the silver medal behind Navka and Kostomarov. I wouldn't be surprised if the Olympic podium turns out very similar to the world podium last year, if not in the same order.

Dyan

On the Ice
euterpe said:
Delshoes said just recently that they didn't know if they would continue to compete after this season. That was a bit of a schocker, as they are still relatively young, compared to other teams.

I think B/A will be on top for more than one world title. I see their top competitors as DomShabs and by 2008, add Matthews/Zavozin and possibly Virtue/Moir. These are the teams who will be in the fight for gold in 2010.

Oh, that's too bad about DelShoes. I've been lurking about a bit and I believe that I saw some references to Isabelle possibly being injured which might be why they watered down the second half of their "Carnival in Venice FD." A few issues ago in BOI they had indicated they might stay in till 2010. D&S's last two FD's have been amazing and I was looking forward to seeing them build on that. I hope they are able to stay.

I do agree that in addition to the Russian couples B&A will also be challenged by their own teamates M&Z and the Canadian team of V&M. I am so impressed with V&M, they are amazing technical skaters and with their expression (especially Tessa) they show a sophistication far beyond their years.

euterpe, I'd love to see B&A win more than one world title but for now I won't get greedy. I'd settle for one to start with.

nuge

On the Ice
If G/G win the olympic silver and N/K retire' they may like to go to worlds to try and win the gold.They'll have nothing to lose .