Men's LP start order up | Golden Skate

Men's LP start order up

Only 24 entrants? I thought there would be 30. Anyway.....

My experience from watching Live judging is that they tend to treat each group as a separate competition. It seems to me it works with CoP that way too. Therefore. Do not expect any skater to rise above their groups when all the judging is completed. Grps 1&2, definitely will remain the same. Group 3 may have one skater move up to the last group if there is any wd from group 1

The judges will only take the last group seriously. JMO.

Joe

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:

Joe

That always happens in Europeans, Worlds and Olympics. After short programme there are 24 skaters (or sometimes 25 that one extra being given to a skater from that country).

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Great draw for Plush, being first up. He goes out there & fires his cannons, then goes up to sit in the stands & watch the rest scramble for the scraps, so to speak.

Jaana said:
That always happens in Europeans, Worlds and Olympics. After short programme there are 24 skaters (or sometimes 25 that one extra being given to a skater from that country).
So there is a process of elimination with the SP. I thought the QR in Worlds only had a process of eliminating skaters.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
In pairs, S&Z rose from the 2nd group to take the bronze.

Ptichka said:
In pairs, S&Z rose from the 2nd group to take the bronze.
Your are correct, but I am thinking Singles and in this case Men's but Ladies would also apply. It can happen but it is rare. And given the personalities, I think there is some added interest to give a 'come back' contestant a break.

I do not agree with Joubert's 4th place but I have not yet looked at the details.

These things happen and my post was a sort of 'rule of thumb'.

Joe

Engwaciriel

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

That's the reason many of us sat there extremely nervous just hoping the not so good skaters would fail...in order to see our favourites (Kristoffer Berntsson :love: ) in the free skate..

FreeKatie

On the Ice
are my eyes deceiving me or did Savoie end up behind Sandhu in the short program? how can that be?

antmanb

Record Breaker
Bad draw

Not only did Plushy draw early for the SP but he's first nit eh final group...that will sap the energy right out of the stadium, since he can't be reached anyway, he'll likely be the skater to put out the most technically difficult and clean program and the rest will be left having to try to match his performance with no hope of catching him...way to show that with teh new system "skater can come back from a low placing in the SP to win the thing"!!! :laugh:

Ant

FreeKatie

On the Ice
I love Plush, but I kinda sorta hope he makes some little mistakes so this thing is interesting. a fight for the silver medal is just not that exciting.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Not a good draw for Johnny either. It would be hard for him to decide what risks to take without having seen either Jeff or Brian skate. The only two before him are Plushy and Lambiel, and Johnny is not likely to beat either of them.

Also, both Evan and Matt at the very beginning of their group.

flying camel

Medalist
I think Johnny can beat Lambiel. He is not skating that great. He clearly beat him on the second mark. The middle of the pack is always the best draw. Maybe Plushy will forget the freeskate is Thursday and Johnny wins ;o)

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
Johnny can definitely challenge Stephane for the silver. Stephan's re-injured knee could buckle anytime especially if you consider that he HAS no choice but do the 3 axel (maybe 2 of them) in the FS, and there's an article where his coach apparently downplays the severity of his student's injury.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060215/sp_nm/olympics_figure_skating_lambiel_dc_1

Speaking of other challengers for the silver, easily there's Takahashi (has the edge over Weir with a semi-consistent quad in international comps and high level spins and footwork, same as Weir). Buttle may move higher in the standings from his current 6th by virtue of his high PCS, but expect 1 or 2 jump errors from him , and also from Joubert (who hasn't consistently cleanly landed the quad this season, not even in the less pressure-packed French Nationals).

I'm not so sure Plush will frighten others in the competition. They know it's his to win. However, if he should melt (highly unlikely - Mishin would kill him) then there is a race to the gold. Otherwise Plush will sit back in his box seat and watch the humble do their thing. Nod when he sees a quad from others.

Joe

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Otherwise Plush will sit back in his box seat and watch the humble do their thing. Nod when he sees a quad from others

Yup. After the SP, it's pretty obvious he's in a league of his own. the battle is for the silver and bronze between Weir, Lambiel, & Jouby. With outside shots for Takahashi and Buttle. One thing I'm counting on is that, after a disaster short, Jeff Buttle usually fires back with a spectacular long. Emanuel-who knows what he'll do. I'd bet on a similar performance to last year's worlds.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:

My experience from watching Live judging is that they tend to treat each group as a separate competition. It seems to me it works with CoP that way too. Therefore. Do not expect any skater to rise above their groups when all the judging is completed. Grps 1&2, definitely will remain the same. Group 3 may have one skater move up to the last group if there is any wd from group 1

Joe

Exception: S&Z in the pairs competition.

I thought even S&S got pretty decent marks, considering the number of mistakes in their LP.

BTW, I think the top 24 make it to the LP.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
FreeKatie said:
I love Plush, but I kinda sorta hope he makes some little mistakes so this thing is interesting. a fight for the silver medal is just not that exciting.

If you can say that, you don't really love Plush. You secretly want him to fail.

I want Plush to skate the greatest performance of his career and win the OGM.

Vash

EvanLysacekFan

On the Ice
I just really hope that Evan has a clean skate.

I would be nice for Evan, Jeffrey, or Brian to medal, but my luck hasn't been that good lately.

I'd also just like to see anyone beat Plushenko.

Mafke

Medalist
Vash01 said:
If you can say that, you don't really love Plush. You secretly want him to fail.
I want Plush to skate the greatest performance of his career and win the OGM.
Vash

I'm not a Plushenko fan, but I don't mind him winning (aren't I gracious) I'm just peeved that the rest of the field is trying to make it so _easy_ for him to win (not his fault of course).
As things currently stand, he doesn't have to do anything but a standard (even below par by his standards) performance and he'll win walking away. An all-over-but-the-shouting lead doesn't usually make for a memorable competition (except for silver and bronze).

I hope that the next to the last group is on fire and pushes him to really do something special and that the skaters behind him also keep him glancing a little nervously at the leader board. In short, I want to see a competition rather than a coronation.