TV Commentary on Flutzes, Spins, etc. | Golden Skate

TV Commentary on Flutzes, Spins, etc.

jessyxyz

Rinkside
I taped the ladies' long program and was watching it the other night, and when they replayed the lutz that Sasha fell on, I noticed how she definitely switched into a back inside edge. I remember at the last Olympics, how the commentators would always point out whether or not a skater "flutzed" a jump or not, and they'd always say whether or not a skater centered a spin. But the past few seasons I can't really recall any commentators (NBC or ABC) doing so. Is it just not important to the average viewer anymore, so they don't mention it?

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
After the competition was over CBC had an in-studio chat with Lorie Nichol and Jennifer Robinson. They pointed out the "flutz" and said that only 3 judges actually caught it. I don't think Paul Martini and Barb Underhill caught it during the skate because neither made mention of it. I know I certainly didn't catch it. I found that a lot of the camera angles for those jumps were side views and it was often hard to tell what edge the skater was taking off on even when I was watching the tape again in slow motion.

That CBC segment was very interesting. In stop motion, Sasha was so far over on the inside edge it was like, "whoa." But at regular speed you couldn't see it at all. The foot is quicker than the eye.

I also agree with Jessy about centering and traveling on spins. I guess it is more important now to comment on the difficulty of position, etc. One thing I do like is that Dick Button especially is pointing out changes of edges during a spin. That's something that the average viewer would not notice or pay any attention to.

MM :)

It all depends on the camera angle. From watching Sasha live for the past few years, I would say the flutz was getting closer and closer to the back outside edge, but it was way off in Torino. I think that is what caused the fall. Too much thinking of doing it right.

Maybe the director of the Olys, insisted that the commentators, cool it on flutzes for all skaters. Just a guess.

Joe