The brilliance of Michelle Kwan | Page 8 | Golden Skate

The brilliance of Michelle Kwan

Germanice said:
Just take one ordinary Kwan gush thread, here, on FSU, wherever - and how many European fans normally participating there...
All the more reason why we appreciate you taking the time to participate on this Kwan gush thread, Anke!

Here's what Lord Byron, an Englishman, had to say about Michelle:

"She skates in beauty, like the night
Of starry skies and cloudless clime,
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her titles -- count 'em, nine!
Thus mellow'd to that tender light,
She should be in the Gugenheim!

"So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
A halo round her noble brow,
It tells of days of goodness spent,
The splendor of her closing bow!
A heart whose love is innocent,
And oh! the grace of her Salchow!" :love:

(I added the :love: They didn't have smilies in Lord Byron's day.)

K-Mo

On the Ice
Mathman said:
All the more reason why we appreciate you taking the time to participate on this Kwan gush thread, Anke!

That's the best thing I've read all day!

antmanb

Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Antmanb, you bring up a very good point here and what I think it does is bring on good adult conversation and other thought provoking ideas.

I love to watch skating and I was so excited for the Olympics and I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the men's long programs. Yet, even though I said in this thread that Johnny is one of my favorites, I did not have blinders on when it came to his LP skate. I made quite a few comments about he needs to concentrate more on his skating than all this other princess Johnny stuff. I was very angry with him for a few days. The one skate that did give me goosebumps and is not considered a favorite was Joannie Rochette. I loved her music and her skate.

For me until the Olympics i never really got Johnny's skating, then with that SP he absolutely blew me away, i thought it was such a beautiful program and the fact that it was intricate in terms of choreography and the theme, the whole mood he captured and kept up right through all of the elements, i really thought it was perfection. If it had included a 4/3 combination it should have been 20 points ahead of pluschenko! I was converted, the LP i didn't think was as bad as the media made out, i still have a problem with him doing Otonal because it left me cold when he did it at worlds, and it seemed to leave him cold too - he didn't have the pashion he had in his SP, i don't know if that's just that Olympic nevers and that he was rattled or whether its the program...i gather the program on last year's GP had been better?

Rochette too was one of my favourites - i think she moves beautifully and her LP was stunning. I think he arm movements are a tiny bit wooden but at least she makes an effort with the choreography and i think another couple of seasons will soften out her arm movements and bring her along choreographically. I'm hoping for her to pull off two amazing programs in front of the home crowd and geet on the podium at last.

Dee4707 said:
I think what is irritating is when a poster says, Skater A, is the best, end of story. Well, I might not think the same, and make a comment about Skater B and that skater is then bashed to the nines or everything they ever did will be rehashed from the time they saw the skater picking their nose to how poorly they lace their skates to it looks like they are not well trained and it goes on, and on, and on. So to me what is happening is Skater A is still shining and Skater B has been totally picked apart. So then I have doubts about posters who are very insecure about Skater A that they have to bash Skater B to make a point.

Antmanb, thanks for your post, I appreciate your comments.

Dee

I can see that, and i also find the criticisms for stupid little things really gets on my nerves (like your nose picking example!!!). The thing that really annoys me (as i mentioned in another thread) is when people bring another skater's fans into the argument and start whining about oh such and such a body would have been criticised in a much harsher way if it had been her, that just frustrates me beyind all belief.

And if you think i'm going overboard on Kwan, give me agentle nudge and i'll see if i can't up my objectivity a little :p

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

MM you really have been making me belly laugh these past few days!

Ant