Skater's skater

Paul Wylie
Yuka Sato
Matt Savoie
Jeff Buttle
Michelle Kwan
Shizuka Arakawa
Kurt Browning

If Carolina Kostner could get more control and elegance in her skating, she has the basics to be a "skater's skater."

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Paul Wylie
Ryan Jahnke
Matt Savoie
Kurt Browning
Michelle Kwan
Angela Nikodinov
Yuka Sato (Dang, you can't hear her edges at ALL when she skates!)
G&G
T&D

Just my random list. ;)

Vash01

Medalist
You don't hear B&S's skates either when they skate, and I was in the first row.

Vash

It seems to me that no one including me has given a definition of just what a skater's skater is. I think once we have that, we just might name those skaters who fulfil that criteria.

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
CDMM1991 said:
There are so many different definitions of the word, but to me it is someone who you could watch just skate. Not jump, not spin, not do any sort of intricate footwork. They just have to stroke around the rink and they captivate you.

That's the closest I could come to a definition.

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
It seems to me that no one including me has given a definition of just what a skater's skater is. I think once we have that, we just might name those skaters who fulfil that criteria.

Joe

Many of us (including me) have given our own definitions of a skaters skater before listing our choices.

Vash

I always thought a "dancer's dancer," "musician's musician," "skater's skater," etc was one who had all the goods but was less flashy, so that while the public may not see how great s/he was, other skaters definitely do. A certain quiet quality is entailed.

Is there anyone like that? An Olympic commentator put Matt Savoie in that category and from what I saw he would seem to fit this definition. (But then they applied the label to some others who didn't fit as well....)

Spun Silver said:
I always thought a "dancer's dancer," "musician's musician," "skater's skater," etc was one who had all the goods but was less flashy, so that while the public may not see how great s/he was, other skaters definitely do.
I always though that, too. Like, Joel Grey was an "entertainer's entertainer" because no one but other entertainers could ever see anything entertaining about him.

MM

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I always though that, too. Like, Joel Grey was an "entertainer's entertainer" because no one but other entertainers could ever see anything entertaining about him.

MM

:rofl:

Jasper

Final Flight
Completely agree about Buttle as the ultimate skater's skater. I don't mind if he misses his jumps, because every move in between is so glorious and perfect. No one else captivates and inspires me so much with his edges, flow, and precision. To me, all of that skating skill and musicality is far more impressive than doing the quad consistently but ignoring the other components like a Plushenko. I think Jeff's Naqoyqatsi and S&D programs are masterpieces.

I do think Savoie has incredible basic skills as well, but I'm sorry I find him boring. He doesn't have the flair or ease that stands out to me like with Jeff.

soogar said:
IMO, Jahnke is a true skater's skater. Matt may do a lot of transitions , but Matt always strikes me as working really hard to do all these things. I get exhausted watching him on the ice. I also consider Shizuka Arakawa to be a skater's skater as there are no weaknesses in her skating.

I also think very highly of Buttle's skills, as well as Kurt Browning's.

I agree. Matt's transitions are great, but they seem sort of forced and less natural.

Ryan has a beautiful flow over the ice. I love his classic style.

Last edited:
Spun Silver said:
I always thought a "dancer's dancer," "musician's musician," "skater's skater," etc was one who had all the goods but was less flashy, so that while the public may not see how great s/he was, other skaters definitely do. A certain quiet quality is entailed.

Is there anyone like that? An Olympic commentator put Matt Savoie in that category and from what I saw he would seem to fit this definition. (But then they applied the label to some others who didn't fit as well....)
I like that definition and it certainly eliminates personal favorites or it should. Matt fulfills that criteria. Another one for me would be Ilia Klimkin. Among the ladies I would put Yukina Ota, and maybe Angelina Nikidinov.

Joe

I once saw Belousova and Protopopov do an exhibition skate at a Stars on Ice show. They were in their 60s at the time. I'm sure the audience was like, what are these old geezers doing out here.

But the SOI cast -- Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi -- they were in rapture, like they were in the presence of :bow: :bow:

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I once saw Belousova and Protopopov do an exhibition skate at a Stars on Ice show. They were in their 60s at the time. I'm sure the audience was like, what are these old geezers doing out here.

But the SOI cast -- Scott Hamilton, Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi -- they were in rapture, like they were in the presence of :bow: :bow:

Well the Protopopovs are :bow: :bow: . And believe me, while you may not be impressed (at least it doesn't seem so in the post), there are many non-skating fans who are stunned to see this old couple skate. A few years ago, a boyfriend saw a clip of the Protopopovs on an ice show or something and he was amazed at them.

kyla2

Final Flight
My List

Michelle Kwan
Janet Lynn
John Curry
Dorothy Hamill
Yuka Sato
Matt Savoie
B&S
The Protopopovs
Kurt Browning
Paul Wylie
Angela Nikodinov

lulu

Final Flight
soogar said:
Well the Protopopovs are :bow: :bow: . And believe me, while you may not be impressed (at least it doesn't seem so in the post), there are many non-skating fans who are stunned to see this old couple skate. A few years ago, a boyfriend saw a clip of the Protopopovs on an ice show or something and he was amazed at them.

ITA. I have never seen the Protopopovs skate live (I've only see some video clips) but I think they have gotten a standing ovation pretty much every place they go.

If you haven't seen the Protopopovs, the Magic Memories On Ice Vol. 1 has a clip of their Olympic LP (can't remember if it is from 1964 or 1968). There is also a video from the professional world championships of 1980s, where they perform Ava Maria.