The next Sasha Cohen? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The next Sasha Cohen?

floskate

On the Ice
While Sasha has more amplitude and a prettier leg line - IMO the best spiral still belongs to MK - spirals are about edges too and when CoE now counts for so much MK still has the best. Arakawa's spirals this last season were terrific too. Just my opinion.

MKFSfan

Medalist
floskate said:
While Sasha has more amplitude and a prettier leg line - IMO the best spiral still belongs to MK - spirals are about edges too and when CoE now counts for so much MK still has the best. Arakawa's spirals this last season were terrific too. Just my opinion.

Mine, too! Shiz's sequences have been AMAZING these past 2 years and I never understood why they were overlooked in favor of Sasha's so strongly, when Sasha's haven't really changed (with the exception of the included beillmann). Shiz, IMO, had it all: wonderful positions, deep edges and blade control, showed off good flexbility with full extension, maintains speed and had a difficult sequence!

tarotx

On the Ice
Why bring Arakawa into this discusion? She doesn't even do a traditional spiral position-does she? It's lovely don't get me wrong but if this is about all types of spirals then the discussion broadens-others can do lovely spirals.

Michelle does have the best coe tradional spiral sequence because of her edge control-nobody else has ever been able to do what she does as steady as she does it but the reason Sasha gets the praise that she does is because her spirals are an instant wow-Sasha gets her leg up there almost as soon as she goes into the move. Michelle gets a lot of praise too when she's doing her spirals too.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Shiz does do a "traditional" spiral, it's just not as WOW as either Sasha or Michelle, IMO. BUT she does get overlooked when people speak of good spirals. Considering good spirals are supposed to be more than extenstion, I think Shiz makes up for not having the WOW factor in her other strengths that I listed before.

I suppose you are right-this thread went off topic and then went off topic from the "off topic" topic! :biggrin:

rebeccaauburn

Rinkside
MKFSfan said:
I doubt it as long as the extension of the free leg is big. Maybe it's not as appealing and won't receive as high +GOE's, but look at Emily Hughes' spiral:

http://www.emily-hughes.net/pic229.jpg

she gets the free leg way up and her body is so low, her inside hand is inches away from the ice. I'd guess skaters like Miki:

http://www.jayadeff.com/SA2004/IMG_4058.jpg

who drop their body's way down and also don't get the desired extension (or tension) are penalized. Sasha may drop her body to get a perfect split, but her spiral position is still gorgeous. However, this is my all time favorite spiral shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/lakersgirl712/aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
:love:

But this one always makes me smile:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/olympics/images/photogallery/oly-gallery2-20.jpg
:)

It's not just the great postions of MK's spirals. It's that look of pure joy that makes them so special.

tarotx

On the Ice
MKFSfan as for as I can tell it wasn't until this year that Shiz's spiral became something special and she didn't do a traditional spiral at the Olympics as for as I remember.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
tarotx said:
Why bring Arakawa into this discusion? She doesn't even do a traditional spiral position-does she? It's lovely don't get me wrong but if this is about all types of spirals then the discussion broadens-others can do lovely spirals.

Michelle does have the best coe tradional spiral sequence because of her edge control-nobody else has ever been able to do what she does as steady as she does it but the reason Sasha gets the praise that she does is because her spirals are an instant wow-Sasha gets her leg up there almost as soon as she goes into the move. Michelle gets a lot of praise too when she's doing her spirals too.

I think this whole thread was about the NEXT Sasha, which Shi-chan would be as likely a Michelle to be defined that way - not applicable. this did turn into a Spiral discussion, and I personally see nothing wrong with bringing some other skater into the discution, but for "on topics" sake it should probably be a younger skater or someone still in it. As far as comparison, that can be done with anyone the poster would like to compare them to. Not that different variations of this same topic have been out there but the first one to be categorized by this (sorry MM I didn't look at the thread starters "handle" before I said code:frown: ) was a good example of the great new spiral positions coming out from younger skaters.

A note that Sasha's hand and FINGERS position are notably better then either MK or SA, BUT that is still just a preference of mine witch is an opinion that we all are here to give.

:scratch: Now I will show my humility :eek: and say, isn't this just one position in the "spiral?" Or is the position shown the spiral and the rest of the "free moves" done within the segment this move preformed - just a part of the "spiral sequence?"

Rephrase - is that particular position the "spiral" or is the "spiral" the whole sequence of moves in that segment of the routine?

I guess I am unclear if the segment is named after that move, or that move is named as the quintessential position in the segment?????:scratch: :scratch:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
That is the 3rd best spiral I have ever seen behind both Cohen and Kwan, very close behind, but behind nonetheless.

MKFSfan

Medalist
seanibu said:
I

:scratch: Now I will show my humility :eek: and say, isn't this just one position in the "spiral?" Or is the position shown the spiral and the rest of the "free moves" done within the segment this move preformed - just a part of the "spiral sequence?"

Rephrase - is that particular position the "spiral" or is the "spiral" the whole sequence of moves in that segment of the routine?

I guess I am unclear if the segment is named after that move, or that move is named as the quintessential position in the segment?????:scratch: :scratch:

Well, I think when people say spirals they automatocally think of the pics we've posted of Michelle, Sasha and the unknown skater, but you're right-there are many different moves that are considered spirals moves. Probably the correct term would be to say "spiral sequence" or refer to a spiral position by their actual name, like a fan spiral, a Y-spiral, an abrasque spiral, etc.

Wow, that's gorgeous. She seems just a little heavier there - do you think? - which only makes the position look more strong and glorious. (She can afford the pounds!)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
tarotx said:
I adore Shawn Sawyer!
I do too. I hope we get to see more of him this coming season.

Dee

Piel said:
Uhm....I think Mathman may have someting to say on this subject:biggrin:

Don't forget that before Michelle and Sasha here was Nicole Bobek.

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/pictures/misc/bobek.jpg
Piel, I was going to be a good boy and let that one go. :laugh:

But then, as Tarotx observed...hmm... Actually, though, in the picture that Brinababy posted, Sasha's line is great, and so is the lighting! I'm not so ecstatic about the edge. But, as has been mentioned several times, you sacrifice one thing for another.

About finger position, though -- hey, Seanibu, look again at the picture of Nicole that Piel just posted. That is absolutely classic. Note that each finger is on a different level, in the preferred order: pinky highest, then index fingure, then ring finger, with middle finger lowest.

Not wanting to sound like a broken record, but that mitigates the claw effect by ensuring that no matter what angle the hand is viewed from, the perfromer is always presenting five distinct digits. :love:

http://www.aa2sbu.org/aaezine/images/K/MichelleKwan03nat_spiral.jpg

MM :)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Uhm....I think Mathman may have someting to say on this subject
:sheesh:
Mathman said:
Piel, I was going to be a good boy and let that one go. :laugh:

About finger position, though -- hey, Seanibu, look again at the picture of Nicole that Piel just posted. That is absolutely classic. Note that each finger is on a different level, in the preferred order: pinky highest, then index fingure, then ring finger, with middle finger lowest.

MM :)

Just saying my own opinion of the hands, should I be careful not to state the same opinion? Kinda made me feel like I did something wrong - did I? It is not the first time someone has said the same thing in a post that was said even 3 or 4 posts prior.:scratch:

I think Nicole's is a great example of one even better (looked at it and noticed right away before I read your post). I really like it when I am "on" 'cause I maybe the least "educated poster" here, and it feels good to get something on the money to be enforced by a comment later. That is a gorgeous picture - Love the hands there:love: . Also like the back position - gorgeous!