The next Sasha Cohen? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The next Sasha Cohen?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
Yes, the first spiral photo is of Carolyn-Ann Alba, who placed 6th in Intermediate Ladies at U.S. "Junior" Nationals in December 2005. Alba also competed in a "Young International" competition in Switzerland this spring and won the Novice A event there. (Side note to the mods: Considering her young age, I don't think it's a good idea for a link to her personal page to be posted in this forum, as was done earlier in this thread.)

Thank you!!!!!:clap:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I can't believe three and a half pages later, we STILL can't confirm who the skater in the first pic is. :laugh: Maybe the thread starter can confirm for us?

I think the original poster said s/he would'nt share the skater's name because the skater didn't know the picture was posted.

Back to charlotte spin-I cannot find a photo! I'm sure it was Pang/Tong that did it last year in COI (Pang is the one that is often criticized for being SOOOOO skinny, right? I know it was her!).

edited: didn't see it was confirmed who the skater is!!!

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
You can get your leg much higher when you drop your body down. It is much harder to keep your body up during a spiral. The leg will not be as high.

In skating, is it considered poorer technique to drop the body down low while doing a spiral?

MKFSfan

Medalist
I doubt it as long as the extension of the free leg is big. Maybe it's not as appealing and won't receive as high +GOE's, but look at Emily Hughes' spiral:

http://www.emily-hughes.net/pic229.jpg

she gets the free leg way up and her body is so low, her inside hand is inches away from the ice. I'd guess skaters like Miki:

http://www.jayadeff.com/SA2004/IMG_4058.jpg

who drop their body's way down and also don't get the desired extension (or tension) are penalized. Sasha may drop her body to get a perfect split, but her spiral position is still gorgeous. However, this is my all time favorite spiral shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/lakersgirl712/aaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
:love:

But this one always makes me smile:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/olympics/images/photogallery/oly-gallery2-20.jpg
:)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Just "ThinkiBu" talking, but I particularly like how Sasha can keep her back "flatter" and such great extension. She doen't appear to be leaning over sideways as much and keeps her head up - most of the time. Flexibility or whatever, it is Sasha and it is gorgeous!:bow: :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
the last one is the best because it's a side view. Not quite 180 but still impressive. Looks about 160-165 to me.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Thanks! I've been looking for that last picture! Love the angle and how the ice looks.

I guess what I meant to say, Michelle seems to bring her shoulders up and closer to her body, while Sasha stays flat. No idea what's "correct" or "harder". My guess is it depends on the skater's body type-Sasha has a longer torso, and a history of back problems, so that may be a more natural position for her. Michelle is more compact and known to have more upper back than lower back flexibility, so perhaps that's more natural for her!

All I care is that the spiral looks pleasing and comfortable, that extension is at the fullest potential without looking forced and the tension is held. The actual degree doesn't impress or disgust me if those other things seem to be met. Eye of the beholder, I suppose!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Most of those were what I considered the times she was not as "flat backed" except for the Oly 06 shot - the first pic on this thread was more what I picture ( I think that is right toward the end of her spiral????). That last pic is a AWESOME pic!!!! as I am sure a few of us are thinking, would be nice if it were a little larger though - might make a nice desktop or screensaver pic.

MKFSfan - I didn't think that might be why Sasha holds her back that way sometimes. Hum thanks.:agree:

Last edited:
I

IcyBallerina

Sasha has been criticized in the past for having shallow edges in her spirals. She's probably worked on deepening her edges with the bonuses for changing edge. I have noticed that they curve much more recently- the lowering of the upper body could be her mechanism for shifting her weight around her foot. Some skaters adjust their hips and free legs with the same effect, but Sasha couldn't possibly do that without sacrificing some of her amplitude.

While the above is possible, It's also possibl that as Sasha has strengthened her lower back, she's lost some of that flexibility that made it easier for her to hold her back more upright a la Sentimental Waltz, posted on one of the first pictures in this topic. She still looks good through her upper body even if it isn't quite as lifted of a line.

Personally, I'd rather see a slightly droopy spiral than have anybody risk further back injuries, which can be debilitating. Nevertheless, the Sentimental Waltz picture remains my favorite photo of Sasha.

CDMM1991

Medalist
IcyBallerina said:
Sasha has been criticized in the past for having shallow edges in her spirals. She's probably worked on deepening her edges with the bonuses for changing edge. I have noticed that they curve much more recently- the lowering of the upper body could be her mechanism for shifting her weight around her foot. Some skaters adjust their hips and free legs with the same effect, but Sasha couldn't possibly do that without sacrificing some of her amplitude.

While the above is possible, It's also possibl that as Sasha has strengthened her lower back, she's lost some of that flexibility that made it easier for her to hold her back more upright a la Sentimental Waltz, posted on one of the first pictures in this topic. She still looks good through her upper body even if it isn't quite as lifted of a line.

Personally, I'd rather see a slightly droopy spiral than have anybody risk further back injuries, which can be debilitating. Nevertheless, the Sentimental Waltz picture remains my favorite photo of Sasha.

This one?

evenstar

Final Flight
That Skating Magazine cover wan't the best example of Michelle or Sasha's best spiral positions.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
passion said:
You can get your leg much higher when you drop your body down. It is much harder to keep your body up during a spiral. The leg will not be as high.

In skating, is it considered poorer technique to drop the body down low while doing a spiral?

I was under the impression that it was...my coach always yelled at me about that.

I think it is the law of physics. If the body is lower to the ice then holding the edge becomes much easier.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
evenstar said:
That Skating Magazine cover wan't the best example of Michelle or Sasha's best spiral positions.

I agree-it looks like Michelle is exiting her spiral, and Sasha is just beginning hers.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Nice! I like that you chose good spiral pictures of both, while both are on an outside edge. To me, side by side, you can see the differnt strengths. Here are my thoughts:

~Michelle has a deeper edge and good extension. She's free-er (if that's a word!) in her upper back, so her head and chest are held higher. Sasha has more extension, and rotates her hip less than Michelle to acheive that extension (which I think has more to do with joint structure more than flexibility).

~I've always thought Michelle placed her skating leg more under her body than Sasha does, while Sasha's body seems to be held more to the right of her skating leg. I have no idea what that means, just an observation!

~I think both ladies twist their body for more lean which creates the edge, so I don't think that is a bad thing (someone early pointed out some skaters twist their body and some keep their backs flat). Sasha's body is lower though, but she is also longer in the torso, so maybe that has something to do with it.

That was fun! Both ladies are gorgeous and have beautiful spirals, just place different emphasis on their strengths.