Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

E

emiC

drug - drug, food - drug interactions

There are more (FDA) drug - drug interaction information. Drug - food interactions or herb - drug interactions information are less robust.

Grape fruit juice is an injhibitor of cytochrome P450 3A4 enzymes, and according to the available data, it inhibits the metabolism of clarithromycin (Biaxin) which is a substrate of 3A4. The clarithromycin - grape fruit juice interaction may increase the levels of clarithromycin in your blood, and may increase the risk of side effects of clarithromycin, but it seems like you are doing Ok.

I think hospitals quit serving grape fruit juice.

From pubmed abstract
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entr...t=Abstract

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I know that if a woman is taking birth control pills that an antibiotic can render the bc pills useless.[/quote]

Well I do not think all antibiotics does that. BC pills like any drug has to be digested by liver enzymes, the only way another drug can render the BC useless is for it to induce a lot of liver enzymes. With an increase amount of liver enzymes the BC is digested away quicky.

Referring to the cytochrome P450 cyzyme table

medicine.iupui.edu/flockhart/

scroll down all the way to look at the inducers, rifampin and isonazid are the 2 antibiotics that function as inducers. Interestingly broccoli, brussel sprout, and tobacco are inducers of 1A2, and st. johns wort is an inducer of 3A4.

I have my bias for drugs that are FDA approved, because there are more information available on these drugs. Herbs OTOH are pharmacologically active, but there are less information available. (St. Johns's wort is the exception, there are tons of information about SJW)

L

Lynn1951

Re: drug - drug, food - drug interactions

emiC, thanks for the info!

My husband started taking liquid vitamins a little over 2 months ago. Are there any studies that show the benefits of liquid over the ususal kinds (ie pill, caplet or capsule)?

If I'm remembering correctly, the liquid that he's taking has arsenic and lead in it too. What could be the reasoning for those two things being included in a vitamin mixture?

Lynn

S

sk8m8

Lynn,
Liquid Vitamins are often the answer for people with poor absorption problems in the GI/Digestive track. When the vitamins are in liquid form, the body is more able to absorb the nutrients than the pill or capsule form.

As for the lead, I'm not quite sure why that's in there, though I do know that we do carry small traces of lead in our body.
However, small, controlled amounts of arsenic have been proven to vastly improve appetite and even jump-start metabolism in a few folks.

Just make sure this is administered by someone who has the training and qualifications to do so. The last thing you need is your snake oiled. ;)

L

Lynn1951

sk8m8, I kinda figured that the liquid would be absorbed much faster. I'm not real sure where my husband bought the liquid vitamins (abt a quart bottle). He's a truck driver and is all over the US. He does frequent stores such as GNC so maybe he bought it in a health store.

I'm a little leery of the lead though cause I have 2 grandkids in the midwest who have been lead poisoned. The 4 yr olds lead level has finally started to come down (I think it was up to 32 points at one time) and the 2 yr old's level has risen to 17 points as of 2 weeks ago. I know there is some med that can be given to lower the levels, but their doctor has chosen not to give it to either of the little ones because of side effects. I also read online that some foods can lower the lead levels too.

Lynn

S

schmooze1

this is a really interesting thread!!! I have picked so much info!

Couple of points - Ladskater you say you go for the more natural remedies where you can! That is really great and very very good for you. I am like you and only take meds when I feel it is absolutely necessary. One thing I noticed you said was that you stop taking them as soon as you feel better. If they are prescription drugs I would strongly recommend that you complete the prescription. One of the major issues causing drug resistance is that people fail to complete prescriptions and what is happening is that you are only partially ridding your system of whatever caused the problem in the first place. Not completing the course is like giving bacteria a vaccine - a small dose of something that could kill them allows them to develop a resistance to the drug so that you can suffer reinfections.

A healthy balanced diet is one of the first steps towards a healthy immune system. I don't believe very much in these faddy diets that recommend cutting out certain types of food or eating according to your blood type. I eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fruit and veg and lots of water and herbal/fruit teas. Small amounts of sweets/cakes/fizzy drinks etc and plenty of exercise and fresh air. I feel really healthy, I am rarely sick and have maintained a stable and healthy weight since my early teens.

There is so much that doctors don't tell you either because they don't think of it or because they don't know. One thing I discovered recently wish scared me a bit was that Vit C can affect the reliability of the contraceptive pill! How many women pop vit C tablets on a regular basis and top it up with vit C from natural sources!

L

Ladskater

Re: Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

schmooze1:

Wow! I did not expect this to turn into such a topic for discussion! Do you know any good remedies for eczema? I have a real battle with it all the time. My skin is so sensative and dry. It drives me nuts.

Ladskater

S

schmooze1

Re: Cherry Juice - Works as Anti-Inflammatory

Eczema Hmm lets see - off the top of my head I know of people who have had great success with Vit E creams. Being out in the fresh air and sunshine can help too. Don't take really hot baths or showers cause that aggrevates the skin and make sure to use loads of moisturusers after showering swimming etc. (you can get moisturisers with Vit E) but use hypo-allergenic or as much natural product as you can so that artificial ingredients don't aggrevate the skin even more.
Aloe Vera or cammomile lotion are also very good remedies for the itch ;)
To be honest I guess it totally depends on how bad the eczema is.
Vit E is creams are also very good for improving the appearance of scars on the skin.