SO, what DOES "Off Topic" mean??? | Golden Skate

SO, what DOES "Off Topic" mean???

K

Kasey

SO, what DOES "Off Topic" mean???

Since it still seems certain things are NOT meant to be discussed here...what exactly WOULD "Off Topic" entail???

Kasey

M

mathman444

Re: SO, what DOES "Off Topic" mean???

Kasey, Do you mean the war in Iraq? I think that's OK. And we ARE discussing it. As the actual fighting part of the war winds down I hope that emotions will cool without convictions being compomised. Mine have (and haven't, respectively).

All things considered, I think that the discussions on GS have satyed reasonably objective, for a topic that is literally a matter of life and death for thousands of people.

A while back we had to send out a plea to Golden Skate posters to take their arguments about religion elsewhere. This is one of my favorite off-topic topics, and I have to confess that I was one of the culprits. But some people said some offensive things -- not me, I hope -- and caused a lot of hurt feelings. So now we have kind of a gentle-person's agreement not to talk about that any more. But God bless you anyway.:lol:

And I'm not afraid of the GS monitor getting on my case for that, because I <em>am</em> the GS monitor with primary responsibility for the Cafe folder. So if you have any problems, drop me a PM. (To Mathman3, that is).:)

Mathman

L

Ladskater

Anything that is off the figure skating topic and is not of religious or political content is considered "off topic." I like to find interesting topics on the internet or in the news to discuss or ones' favorite books or movies. It's pretty much anything you have to say that you want to share with the rest of the gang!

Ladskater

S

sk8cynic

Mathman,

Just wanted to say quickly that I appreciate the job you are doing of moderating the Off Topic. I cannot think of a better person to be monitoring what is undoubtedly the most sensitive subject these days.

About PMing you if "issues" come up, I realize that my position on the war on Iraq is likely to set some members off here. Likewise, as I have said before, if my posts upset or anger anyone, please PM me about it so that we can resolve any dispute elsewhere and spare everyone else the drama.

Keep up the good work.

J

Joesitz

Kasey - Mathman's a super monitor of the whole board. He'll let you know when something is a little off color.

Joe

M

Mathman3

Actually, it's the easiest thing in the world. Golden Skate monitors itself. A little common courtesy, a little common sense -- voila!

Everybody on this board knows the difference between "I disagree with your opinion and here are the reasons why," and "You're a stupid nincompoop and your grandmother's a mule skinner!"

Also, everybody knows that this is a "family" board with readers and posters of all ages, so that hasn't been a problem.

Mathman