Men - Short Program | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program

Rosaleen

Medalist
The 1st 5 of the 42 men are on the ice for their warm-up. 21 will skate in 4 groups, then a break and then the other 21 in 4 more groups.

After the excitement of last night, I'm hoping for the same today with lots of great skates.

Just a reminder, I'm writing as they skate and I sometimes miss things but men is my favourite (even the not so great ones) so I'm hoping I don't miss too much.

The arena is probably about a little better than 1/2 full with the crowd split fairly evenly between the upper and lower bowl

Only the top 3 after the 1st 21 skate are guarranteed a spot in the Free Skate, the rest will have to hope some of the ones in the 2nd 21 make a mistake (or two)

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
1 Dong-Whun LEE KOR
Music: Tango / wearing red & white top with black pants/
A few tango moves to start us off and down this way for 3t2t (planned content showed 3f2t) 2a with a step out / sit ch sit is a little slow but quite good pos & centering / 3z / flysit ch sit is almost the same as his sit ch sit / O ftwrk is kind of slow and simple - not a lot of connection to the music / I missed the next element because they TV guys in front of me are still setting up equipment and walking back & forth / he ended the program with his strt steps /

PB 37.52 TES 23.44 PCS 18.56 Tot 42.00 new PB currently 1st of course

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Thank you once again to Rosaleen for giving the pbp.

For those watching the ISU website, they seem to be having technical difficulties again, so Rosaleen looks like it is up to you again.

GO BRIAN JOUBERT!!!!

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Thank you Rosaleen, I know I couldn't be bothered with pbp if I was sitting by the rink myself :p

Rosaleen

Medalist
2 Christian RAUCHBAUER AUT
Music: Concierto de Aranjuez / black with hot pink with silver threads on one shoulder and arm /
His stroking is smooth & expressive into a 4t with I think a hand down / 3z2t with a wild free leg on the landing / music has picked up for flysit and an enthusiastic crowd is clapping along / 2a landed on his toe pick but pushed it out without putting his free foot down / spin was too close to this end of the boards for me to see and the monitor wasn't facing me (I've turned it now) / strt steps expressed the music well / O ftwrk seems to lose a bit of steam part way through / combo spin to end he program /

PB 35.44 TES 29.76 PCS 19.43 Tot 49.19 new PB by a mile !! currently 1st

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
thanks

thanks. but what a dreadful thing to sit through 41 guys' short programs.

It really needs stamina!

Rosaleen

Medalist
3 Boris MARTINEC CRO
Music: The Godfather white shirt with black suspenders and pants
Weird version of the music to start, now into familiar theme but still a little weird /
2a is clean / 3z fell out 2t / 3f on lean and thought he had it but edge slipped out from beneath him and he fell / sorry I don't have the other elements noted but the darn French TV in front of me is walking back & forth and distracting us (also the music weirdness has to be noted) / he ends his program with his O ftwrk /

PB 52.19 TES 18.44 PCS 19.65 Ded 1.00 Tot 37.09 currently 3rd

Rosaleen

Medalist
4 Ari-Pekka NURMENKARI FIN
Music: Classical Marakesh / top has shades of blue & darker blue & white & pink and yellow - it's a bit strange but actually quite nice.
Nice high 3z 3t / 2a / butterfly back sit - nice speed and pos / music changes now for O ftwrk that interprets it very well but somewhat slow and simple / 3f / sit ch sit with nice tuck position / back camel starts the combo spin - he seems to have a bit of trouble centering the camel both the back and on the change of foot - a fairly weak spin actually / strt steps with the crowd clapping ends the program / The jumps were very good as was his expression but I don't remember his spins and footwork being as weak as he showed here.

PB 51.14 TES 32.54 PCS 23.25 Tot 55.79 new PB currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
5 Justin PIETERSEN RSA
Music: Capone by Ronan Hardman /Black & white pin strip vest with white shirt & red tie
Crowd clapping along with the music for his 3t2t - nicely done / 2a / and into O ftwrk that is clever and right with music with a bit of humour thrown in / combo spin is centered with quite good pos if a bit slow / 3s step out at a dead stop / music changes and changes again during strt steps that interpret it quite well / I just realized I missed a spin at this end of the boards / he ends his program with a fly sit spin/ I have to say that the crowd here is here to enjoy every performance and is very supportive and into each skate.

PB 38.58 TES 20.60 PCS 19.13 tot 39.73 new PB currently 4th

Rosaleen

Medalist
thanks. but what a dreadful thing to sit through 41 guys' short programs.

It really needs stamina!

Not dreadful at all -- It's actually quite fun -- If I didn't love skating, I wouldn't be here. Most of the lower skaters put out very enjoyable and entertaining programs even if the difficulty level isn't there

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I think its ridiculous that Romania changed it's abbr. from ROM to ROU.

Love Romanian Gymnastics BTW and hoping one day they get some strong figure skaters

Rosaleen

Medalist
6 Igor MACYPURA SVK
Music: Carmina Burana black with dagger on front & mask and shield on back/
Dramatic opening music and a beautiful 3a to start / 3f3t is nice as is the 3z / now the jumps are over and the hard work is done - sit ch sit has nice low pos and good tuck / O ftwrk is ok but he seems to have lot a little of his intensity / fly forward sit with very nice tuck and height (don't see many of those spins well done) / strt steps as the music builds to a climax and he's brought his intensity level up / combo spin to end the program good pos & speed / and he is happy (and so he should be )

PB 50.11 TES 37.28 PCS 23.97 Tot 61.25 new PB by a mile and hug from his coach currently 1st

Rosaleen

Medalist
7 Alper UCAR TUR
Music: la Vie en Rose by L Armstrong / hot pink shirt with white suspenders and black pants /
Some interesting and slightly humerous chor to open / 3f from ftwrk / 3z2t little off balance on landing of z but clean / flysit is very nice / now we're into a really upbeat jazzy version of it and the crowd is clapping as he does his excellently chor'd strt ftwrk that I just loved / 2a / back sit ch sit with variations is good / O ftwrk plays with the music and the crowd - this guy has personality plus on the ice / ack cam starts the combo spin - had a bit of a balance check right at the end but it almost looked like it was part of the choreography /

PB 42.16 TES 26.98 PCS 23.11 Tot 50.09 another new PB currently 3rd