Advanced Beg., do I need new boots? | Golden Skate

Advanced Beg., do I need new boots?

skaterjane

Spectator
I'm concerned that my boots are breaking down. Not sure if I need new ones?

I'm 41yo, 5'5, 90-95lbs, greek-shaped feet/reg arch, and started skating in Jan 2023. I'm in Starskate 1ish (singles up to & incl. loop, 1ft spin, starting sitspin, backspin etc.) Plan for next season is to work on flip, Lutz, and axel(maybe?)

I skate 2-3+ hrs/wk depending on the season (summer is lighter, as little ice here). I'm in Jackson Elles(bought Jan23). When I got them, I ordered them online, so no professional fitter. (I just got what Coach Julia on yt recommended, lol)

They've been great until the last month or so, no real creases but the ankles are squishing, the tongue is floppy?and I have to re-tie my skates a lot more often. A couple months ago I switched to derby core laces and they were great at first, but now I have to re-tie them a few times per hour session.

So do I need new ones? Up the stiffness or will Elles be okay?
I'm in Ontario, so I can make the trek to Toronto area for a proper fit this time.
Thanks so much!

silverlily1

On the Ice
Sounds like yes, you need new ones. I can't recommend what brand or skate would be best, but probably not the Elles again.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

I'm 41yo, 5'5, 90-95lbs, greek-shaped feet/reg arch, and started skating in Jan 2023. I'm in Starskate 1ish (singles up to & incl. loop, 1ft spin, starting sitspin, backspin etc.) Plan for next season is to work on flip, Lutz, and axel(maybe?)

I skate 2-3+ hrs/wk depending on the season (summer is lighter, as little ice here). I'm in Jackson Elles(bought Jan23). When I got them, I ordered them online, so no professional fitter. (I just got what Coach Julia on yt recommended, lol)

They've been great until the last month or so, no real creases but the ankles are squishing, the tongue is floppy?and I have to re-tie my skates a lot more often. A couple months ago I switched to derby core laces and they were great at first, but now I have to re-tie them a few times per hour session.

I'm in Ontario, so I can make the trek to Toronto area for a proper fit this time.
Thanks so much!
Yes, you need new boots, current ones aren't stiff enough. Yes, you need a professional fitter (and not one that knows hockey boots best). With your shape of feet look into Risport Electra and a good traditional intermediate blade: MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace.

BTW: Don't try jumping in the current elles.

Good luck!

kikokiko

Spectator

Thanks so much!
Definitely look at buying a boot with more stiffness. It’s probably time to purchase a boot and blade separately instead of the beginner skates that come premounted. Maybe Jackson debut? If you like the Elle blade I would recommend going to the legacy 8 as I personally have found it to be really similar.