Who's retiring after this Worlds? | Golden Skate

Who's retiring after this Worlds?

traz66

Rinkside
Can we try to compile a list of who is planning to retire from eligible competition after this year's Worlds? So far, I have heard Shen and Zhao, Denkova and Staviski, Petrova and Tikonov and the Siudeks. Are there others? Thanks.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
maybe johnny wier. but really, i think you have named thm all. Is Fumie coming back?

rain

Record Breaker
I have to wonder if Sandhu will stay in. He has slid backwards both in terms of his skating ability and his placements.

I read something about Del/Schoenfelder ruminating on retirement as well.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I&b

I&B or maybe M&B. Truly change of guards in pairs world, but won't have much impact on medal contenders.

rjulie510

Rinkside
I wouldn't be surprised if Denkova/Staviyski will consider coming back next season. And frankly, I would love to see them back. They showed us ice dance can make CoP work -they still skated beautiful programs within limitations of CoP.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
All he said is that he's considering using Russian pop music next season.

You've already decided that he's not doing the jumps planned in a hypothetical program that hasn't even been choreographed yet. Wow, that's some crystal ball you got there. :rolleye:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
All he said is that he's considering using Russian pop music next season.

You've already decided that he's not doing the jumps planned in a hypothetical program that hasn't even been choreographed yet. Wow, that's some crystal ball you got there. :rolleye:

At least he's picking something he wants to skate to--not a "style" he should try in order to please people.

Tigger

Final Flight
I think Sandhu will be back next season. He's quoted in a couple of articles he's looking forward to competiting at a Cdns at home in Vancouver, so...

Things very well could change between now and then of course, but that is what he was quoted saying.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Denkova/Staviiski are definitely retiring. Albena has recently accepted a position as the Chair of the Bulgarian federation.

Don't be surprised if DelShoes decide to pack it in as well. He is a new father and may want to spend more time with his family.

mike79

On the Ice
I hope the DelSchoes stick around. I love their FDances every year and they're now ranked 3rd in the world with DenStav's retiring. I'm sure DubrueilLauzon will stick it out.

I could see Sandhu retiring but as someone else said he has Canadians in Vancouver next year. I'd say next year is do or die for him. If he does well he'll stick around until 2010, if not he'll move on.

Kasey

Medalist
I could see Sokolova retiring. It doesn't look like her heart has been in it much of this season.

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
I could see Sandhu retiring but as someone else said he has Canadians in Vancouver next year. I'd say next year is do or die for him. If he does well he'll stick around until 2010, if not he'll move on.

In an article, he said his plan has been all along to stay for the 2010 Olympics and ride out the next couple of years.
Whether or not he does this will remain to be seen, it just depends on whether he gets tired in that time frame.

As others have said, I'm sure Petrova/Tinkonov, Siudek/Siudek will be retiring. Although, I do feel they both had sad endings to beautiful careers. :(

I don't see other official retirements at this point; they're all going to put them "on hold" like Shen/Zhao. Not sure what Denkova/Staviski will do however; I think they might have a good shot at 2010 Olympics.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Out of all the names mentioned in this thread, I'm most surprised to hear Emanuel's still planning to stick around. I understand why he'd be tempted considering both next year's Canadians and the next Olympics are both in his hometown, but the way he's been skating, I wonder if he'll be able to even make the World team next year.

After seeing Emanuel skate such a great LP right after Jeff's awesome skate at Canadians this year, I had a glimmer of hope there might still be some competitive fire left in Emanuel after all, but after both Emanuel's Worlds programs, that glimmer seems to be slipping away...

I know Petrova/Tikonov and Siudek/Siudek were both retiring after this year, but I'm sad both pairs withdrew from the LP. What a sad way for such great pairs teams to end their careers. :(

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Out of all the names mentioned in this thread, I'm most surprised to hear Emanuel's still planning to stick around. I understand why he'd be tempted considering both next year's Canadians and the next Olympics are both in his hometown, but the way he's been skating, I wonder if he'll be able to even make the World team next year.

After seeing Emanuel skate such a great LP right after Jeff's awesome skate at Canadians this year, I had a glimmer of hope there might still be some competitive fire left in Emanuel after all, but after both Emanuel's Worlds programs, that glimmer seems to be slipping away...

I know Petrova/Tikonov and Siudek/Siudek were both retiring after this year, but I'm sad both pairs withdrew from the LP. What a sad way for such great pairs teams to end their careers. :cry:

lutzskate

On the Ice
If Eman is planning to stick around, I'd like to see him make some major changes like Jeff did. Jeff went to the States to train. New surroundings, new coaches, new ideas. And he needs to get a different choreographer. I'd love to see him work with Kurt Browning and Kurt's friend from the Royal Ballet (he name escapes me right now, starts with an R I think). I'd love to see him come with a long program to Ave Maria or something that makes him go back to his ballet background. Perhaps it would provide the calm and the confidence that he needs. He also needs to go right back to scratch on his triple axel technique (again, a new coach or at least split his training as Jeff did). His axel's entrance has much too big of a curve and he loses power in doing so. Someone called it a granny curve cuz it's so slooooww.

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
I'd love to see him work with Kurt Browning and Kurt's friend from the Royal Ballet (he name escapes me right now, starts with an R I think). I'd love to see him come with a long program to Ave Maria or something that makes him go back to his ballet background.

That is a fantastic idea for Emanuel, actually! He seems most comfortable when he has some of that ballet in him; his Ave Maria exhibition was an exquisite performance. Kurt is good for some beautiful programs it seems, in particular Evan's SP and Brian's LP.

Indeed, though, something's going to have to change. Still isn't 100% clear on Emanuel though, even if he says he'll stay.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Too bad Toller Cranston no longer seems to be coaching/choreographing. I always thought he'd be the best choice to work with Emanuel. Emanuel's always reminded me of Toller since I first saw him skate.

But then again, Toller and Emanuel might be too much alike. I'm afraid they might wind up killing each other if they ever worked together. :p