When should blades be replaced? | Golden Skate

When should blades be replaced?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Can anyone tell me how to tell when skate blades need to be replaced? I need to know so if mine do I can replace them before the season starts.

Kypma

Final Flight
I think that when the sharpening part is too thin, the blades need to be replaced... the sharpening part being the bottom of the blade, about 3-4 mm thick when the blades are new (I think... I read this somewhere). Also with time the rocker tends to even out so maybe make sure it's still good, I think the back end of the blade is supposed to be 1-2- inches about the surface when you place you blade on, say, a table. I can't be sure of this, though, because I read this article a while ago, but if you go to usfigureskating.org and into the SKATING magazine section, you can search Mr. Blade's answers over the years and he has written about blades at some point. Other than that I have no idea... sorry.

Kypma

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Good question. I would think the blades are dissipating by being "shortened." As the grinder / sharpener process will not make the blade skinnier or thiner in length or width, but shorter in hight. Even like a chefs blade, it gets shorter as it is shaped.

I think the lobe / curve of the blade to the toe pick is the true determining factor.

This was a thought of mine when looking at the JW Ultima Lite. If you grind too much away on this blade you wont have a full blade.;)
-but I don't think it would ever be sharpened to the point where that would happen. The toe pick would have to be ground down as well or soon it will be flush with the edged / hallowed surface of the blade.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It usually depends on how much use they are getting. It is better to take them to a professional who does sharpening to determine this. You do not want blades that have pits in them as well as this will cause you problems. A skater always must keep his/her boots and blades in top notch condition.

I

IcyBallerina

Look near the heel first for the disappearing blade. If you have a good sharpener, ask them! They should warn you when you're going to need new ones soon, so that they can be ordered and ready for when you need them.

Lucyb

Spectator
I wish my pro shop here in Adelaide, Australia knew what they were doing. I just went to San Francisco to have a fitting with George Spiteri for custom boots, among other things. I bought my blades with me as I thought there were still excellent as they had only been sharpened twice. I was explaining to George that I was having problems spinning (ie I just couldnt all of a sudden) and he took a closer look at my blades and said no wonder, your proshop has sharpened the rocker off your blades. They are completely flat now. I am furious with my 'pro' shop. Is it fair that I should expect them (my pro shop ) to reimburse me for the cost of my new blades?

I

IcyBallerina

If you go and complain, the most you'll probably get is them offering you a free sharpening. Ha ha! Unfortunately, legal recourse will probably be more trouble than benefit. At least you know sooner rather than later that your rink's sharpener can not under any circumstances be trusted with your blades. Also, unless the entire bottom part of the blade is gone for part of it, they might be salvageable for a little while longer.

I had a similar bad experience- my sharpener took the hollow out completely. Unfortunately, this was from a shop I had used all my life. I haven't been back once since then: it was too far a trip to get there for my loyalty to keep me as a customer. Now I go about the same distance (my rink will give you hockey blades) to get to Rainbo in Chicago.

gsrossano

Final Flight
The not too helpful engineer's answer is, when you have a problem with some skating skill that you know is due to a defect/problem with the blade, and the blade cannot be corrected.

Things that cannot be corrected -- a badly altered rocker, a bent stanchion, toe picks ground down too small

Things that can be corrected -- a slightly altered rocker, uneven edges, toe pick too big compared to the rocker due to repeated sharpening.

So what do you feel on the ice that makes you think you have a blade problem? Controlling spins? Takeoff edges on jumps? Edges in stroking or crossovers? Problems with certain turns and steps?

Even if the shape of the blade has not been altered by repeated sharpening (a rarity) most people trash their blades when they are ground down to the chrome. Depending on the care of the sharpening that's about 50 - 100 grinds.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm just wondering because I havn't replaced my blades in a while and they look a little thin. I was hopeing to be able to decide before the season started, without driving the hour and 1/2 to the nearest expert or my skate sharpener. Fortunitly the guy who sharpens my skates is doing pick-ups at my rink, so I'm going to have him look at them when he comes by.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Well, if the blades do not feel like they have gone bad due to bad sharpening (nothing in particular giving you trouble that you can trace to the blades), if you have at least 1/16 inch (1.5 mm) of bare steel showing below the chrome, then your blades should last one more season (assuming you have them sharpened twice a month by a decent sharpener).

Also, as an FYI, if the width of the bare steel showing (not covered by chrome) is even from the toe picks to the heel, the original rocker is probably still intact.

dance4u

Rinkside
Most blades have a dip line ( because carbon steel blades are dipped in chrome. Stainless steel blades have a line etched in the steel. If you are sharpening your blades 2 x per month your removing alot of steel and the blades will not last long.
Most competitive skaters only sharpen to half the dip line. Reason as the blade gets further down in sharpening you roll to your front toe pick more quickly. This can throw your timing off.On average a highly competitive skater will go through 2 sets of blades per season.
How often you get your skates sharpened is personal preference. On average once every 6 weeks.