Superbowl Sunday TV Alert: Europeans on ESPN | Golden Skate

Superbowl Sunday TV Alert: Europeans on ESPN

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Any skating on Sunday besides the Super Bowl?!?
ESPN is scheduled to air the 2008 European Championships on Sun. Feb. 3, 7-10 pm EST.

Also, a repeat of the Dec. 2007 Grand Prix Final is scheduled to air today from 4:30-7 pm EST on ESPN -- check your local listings.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
sad that ESPN makes figure skating compete with the super bowl.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it's sad. They know their audience

the hubby and boyfriend is watching the superbowl... mama's in teh other room watching skating ... that they're putting skating on against it means they think skating can get them the highest raitings possible...

or at least that's how I want to see it :laugh:

please note that I don't agree with the above target audience statement, but going by the american standards of television that have been drilled into my head since 04 in class after class that's what I have to assume. My dad said he'd rather watch the figure skating, but he does not have ESPN; mom wants to watch the football. :laugh:

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yes, thank you-found those! I'd rather watch those than the Super Bowl myself!:thumbsup:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
only downside is we miss the superbowl commercials... so I'm taping the game just for those (how sad am I? :laugh: )

missysays

On the Ice
You know I was just tuning into the European broadcast and it hit home how much I miss the ABC productions. Susie Wynne and Paul Wylie did their normal excellent job.

I know that this has been mentioned in other posts but it just amazes me how Terry Gannon as the non-figure skater commentator has really fallen in love with this sport and has his own well-informed opinions. He made this comment about the Russian figure skating style of Domnina and Shabalin projecting to the 30th row when there are only 20 rows in the building that cracked me up. :rofl:

Plus he just has this really natural and intelligent presentation voice. Tom Hammond just doesn't stand up in comparison. I can't wait until ESPN's world coverage.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hammond is a dork.

I love Terry... he and Verne Lundquist are the only color commentators that I would allow to work for skating :biggrin:

Paul is too much like a professor for me to really love his commentary, but he's better than Dick...

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I set up my DVD recorder to record Europeans from 7pm to 10pm, but when I went to look at it, it had just a black screen up to 9:30pm, when ESPN's SuperBowl Postgame show was scheduled - and since the Super Bowl was still running, what I got from ESPN was the last 1 minute 15 seconds of the game itself, followed by post-game commentary.

Did anybody here experience the same thing?