NBC and USFS 2023-24 Broadcast and Streaming Schedule | Page 3 | Golden Skate

NBC and USFS 2023-24 Broadcast and Streaming Schedule

NaVi

Medalist
It's only been a couple weekends and three events thus far(Skate America, nothing shown on Week 2, and then two Grand Prix shown on Week 3), but there has been quite a ratings decline this year on NBC. Not sure what the reason is, but this season has kind of started off weird as for Skate America they didn't show the women's event live like I'm pretty sure they usually did and then they didn't show anything the week afterwards.

Schedules: 2021 2022 2023

Week 1: ShowBuzzDaily SportsMediaWatch
Week 2: ShowBuzzDaily Nothing shown this year
Week 3: SportsMediaWatch Nothing shown in 2021 or 2022.
Week 4: ShowBuzzDaily SportsMediaWatch
Week 5: ShowBuzzDaily SportsMediaWatch
Week 6: ShowBuzzDaily SportsMediaWatch
GPF: ShowBuzzDaily SportsMediaWatch
ShowBuzzDaily has ratings for 2021 and 2022 while SportsMediaWatch has ratings for 2023.

Changes in raw viewers on NBC between 2022-2023 for each event. For some reason the 3rd event(France) was missing in the ratings listing in 2022 so I will sub in Italy which was the 3rd event in 2021.
1st event - Skate America: -61K
2nd event - Skate Canada: -125K
3rd event - Italy-2021, France:-169K
4th event - Great Britain, China: -107K
5th Event - Japan, Finland: -29K
6th Event - Finland, Japan: -17K
GPF: -148K. Ironically, last year was -45K from 2 years ago which was merely a highlight show(though a pre-Olympic one).

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's only been a couple weekends and three events thus far(Skate America, nothing shown on Week 2, and then two Grand Prix shown on Week 3), but there has been quite a ratings decline this year on NBC. Not sure what the reason is, but this season has kind of started off weird as for Skate America they didn't show the women's event live like I'm pretty sure they usually did and then they didn't show anything the week afterwards.

Week 4: ShowBuzzDaily
Week 5: ShowBuzzDaily
Week 6: ShowBuzzDaily
ShowBuzzDaily has ratings for 2021 and 2022 while SportsMediaWatch has ratings for 2023.

I'm sorry, I am finding it very difficult to compare the numbers using these charts, my brain is addled (they do not appear to using the same formulas or am I incorrect?) Is there a secret to reading them?

Not surprised that Sunday Night Football with the Eagles-Dolphins topped the charts however. :biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker

Week 4: ShowBuzzDaily
Week 5: ShowBuzzDaily
Week 6: ShowBuzzDaily

Do they list streaming numbers at all? More and more people are moving to streaming services

RobinA

On the Ice
Because broadcasts are hard to find and watch. After I missed the entire Cup of France (I think that's what it was) because I had something to do that Saturday afternoon, I started reflecting that I don't see anymore skating now than I did in the '70's. And frankly, they're losing me as a fan. What I have watched this year I really have no idea who anybody is, since I can't follow skating with all the weird times and nonrepeating coverage that is going on. And Peacock is streaming, so I can't seem to DVR it. I'm pretty much past frustrated now and rapidly approaching, I just don't care anymore. I got a lot of enjoyment out of being a figure skating fan, but it just isn't enjoyable anymore.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because broadcasts are hard to find and watch. After I missed the entire Cup of France (I think that's what it was) because I had something to do that Saturday afternoon, I started reflecting that I don't see anymore skating now than I did in the '70's. And frankly, they're losing me as a fan. What I have watched this year I really have no idea who anybody is, since I can't follow skating with all the weird times and nonrepeating coverage that is going on. And Peacock is streaming, so I can't seem to DVR it. I'm pretty much past frustrated now and rapidly approaching, I just don't care anymore. I got a lot of enjoyment out of being a figure skating fan, but it just isn't enjoyable anymore.
You can watch any of the broadcasts at any time on the ISU YouTube channel if you miss the 2 day Peacock replay window. Have to use a VPN. I get to see a ton more skating than in the 70s. I didn’t know there were more than 6 skaters in each category because that’s what we were shown.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Peacock is confusing me. I was so excited when the SA videos seemed to be left up for longer. But from SC onward and even the Sectionals, they are back to being taken down very quickly. Is it still 48 hours? It seems like 24 or less. It could just be me losing track of the schedule, or being too busy to watch. I notice at the end of each NBC broadcast it now says we can watch skating live on Peacock, with no mention of an on-demand window, brief as it might be.

Rebecca Moose

proud Tonia K fan since '95
On the Ice
Country
United-States
The USFS television deal with NBC is killing what pathetic interest level remains of the sport in the USA. Peacock is awful, you can't find anything on YouTube without a VPN, and makes it impossible for casual fans to follow along.

madisonfw

Rinkside
I've started paying for Peacock, in the hopes of being able to watch some of the Grand Prix competitions, but I didn't realize the replay window was so short. Very frustrating that I've still had to miss so much.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Peacock's Black Friday deal is out. It is only for new subscribers. I believe you could start a new account with a different email if you need to. The monthly deal is $1.99 (for 12 months) using the code BIGDEAL or if you commit to a whole year $19.99 for a year using the code YEARLONG which is a better deal (comes to about $1.67 a month).

NaVi

Medalist
I updated my post on ratings for the grand prix. The decline seemed to be steeper in the middle events.

I personally think it's time for figure skating to move away from the Grand Prix and switch to multiple tournaments throughout the year. I wrote a long post about that here.

Fireplace7890

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I wonder if Terry Gannon is still part of the NBC broadcast team. He didn’t do many of the Grand Prix events and Andrea Joyce took his place at those.

Kris135

On the Ice
The USFS television deal with NBC is killing what pathetic interest level remains of the sport in the USA. Peacock is awful, you can't find anything on YouTube without a VPN, and makes it impossible for casual fans to follow along.
I agree. That and not sending Ilia to the Olympic Games in Beijing as he coming out party to America. Vincent Zhou should not have gone I will always stand by that observation. Jason had the body of work to go. I have always thought the NBC had a major role in picking the Olympic team because why would you send a skater who seemed like every other event was implodeing on the ice. Ilia might have issues but Vincent was implodeing on consistent basis. Ilia is the best ambassador that figure skating has had in years and it seems that NBC/USFS is doing their best to hide him away like a shameful secret. If he wins worlds this year and next and is leading contender for the Olympic Gold Medal it going to look strange to not promote him because people need a reason to tune in and like it or not Ilia is going to headliner of the American Figure Skating team, and figure skating is one of the marquee events of the Olympics. So NBC could start promoting him or their ratings are going to suffer and they need to earn back the huge sums of money they spent on the rights.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I updated my post on ratings for the grand prix. The decline seemed to be steeper in the middle events.

I personally think it's time for figure skating to move away from the Grand Prix and switch to multiple tournaments throughout the year. I wrote a long post about that here.
I read your detailed ideas. I think you are onto something, because change needs to happen in figure skating. Significant, ground-breaking change is long overdue.

I think you are correct that the Grand Prix format is outdated and ineffective for the skaters, the sport, and the fans. I commend you for thinking about the sport's drawbacks in an in-depth way and coming up with possible ideas and solutions. The sport has to start somewhere in reinventing itself for current times, and in order to better serve the athletes.

I don't know if you have done so, but the best way to be heard is to actually send your suggestions to figure skating authorities at the ISU. The sport is behind-the-times in exploring and testing out new ways of doing things. I don't know whether all the details of your suggestions would work, but I do think your ideas are on the right track for forward-thinking about overhauling the current antiquated competitive structure. 👏

Kris135

On the Ice
Big News! I just checked Peacock for the replays of the men's short program to catch up on who I missed earlier in the morning. I saw that I have 29 days now to watch it. I checked both the shorter versions of the men's events and Pairs both have the same 29 day limit. Finally maybe all of the events will be like this from now on. It not full access for the entire season but it is major step in the right direction in regard to coverage because I have a life outside trying to catch figure skating coverage so now I can plan to watch on my days off instead of rearranging my schedule to accommodate Peacock coverage. Thank you NBC/Peacock for this.

snowed

Rinkside
Big News! I just checked Peacock for the replays of the men's short program to catch up on who I missed earlier in the morning. I saw that I have 29 days now to watch it. I checked both the shorter versions of the men's events and Pairs both have the same 29 day limit. Finally maybe all of the events will be like this from now on. It not full access for the entire season but it is major step in the right direction in regard to coverage because I have a life outside trying to catch figure skating coverage so now I can plan to watch on my days off instead of rearranging my schedule to accommodate Peacock coverage. Thank you NBC/Peacock for this.
Thank you for bringing this up! I wouldn't have thought to check :rolleye:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I noticed the longer availability of archived fs events too. You would think they might have figured out sooner than now how difficult it is for fs fans to watch 3, 4, and 5 hour video events for each discipline over a limited 2 to 3 day period. 🙄 I guess it finally dawned on TPTB at NBC/ Peacock and U.S. fed, that this is impossible for viewers to succeed in doing.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Peacock is confusing me. I was so excited when the SA videos seemed to be left up for longer. But from SC onward and even the Sectionals, they are back to being taken down very quickly. Is it still 48 hours? It seems like 24 or less. It could just be me losing track of the schedule, or being too busy to watch. I notice at the end of each NBC broadcast it now says we can watch skating live on Peacock, with no mention of an on-demand window, brief as it might be.
Exactly@ What the heck is going on?? They give us 28 days to view Europeans and practically nothing to look at U.S. Nationals events. 🤯 With the Youth Olympics up now too! Do they realize fans who love the sport have lives, work, eating, and sleeping to attend to?! 🙄🤦‍♀️ At first, it looked like junior events were giving three days. Now it looks as if senior events are only 24 hours. Good grief. What is wrong with the people running usfigureskating and NBC Peacock?! 😡😳

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Exactly@ What the heck is going on?? They give us 28 days to view Europeans and practically nothing to look at U.S. Nationals events. 🤯 With the Youth Olympics up now too! Do they realize fans who love the sport have lives, work, eating, and sleeping to attend to?! 🙄🤦‍♀️ At first, it looked like junior events were giving three days. Now it looks as if senior events are only 24 hours. Good grief. What is wrong with the people running usfigureskating and NBC Peacock?! 😡😳
I wrote the post you quoted at the beginning of the season. Then Euros gave me actual hope that something had changed. But, I can confirm today that we are back to 2 days of viewing on Peacock for Nationals. Why on earth do we get 28 days for Euros but only 2 days for Nationals? :shrug: :palmf: It makes me really pick and choose based on my favorite disciplines/segments, which is very frustrating. Sigh.