Worlds on ESPN | Golden Skate

Worlds on ESPN

MissCleo

On the Ice
Is this the last year that ABC/ESPN will air Worlds? Is that the reason they're being very nostalgic?

MissIzzy

Final Flight
They're showing favorite moments from previous worlds. We've already seen Maxim Marinin's wardrobe malfunction for 2002. I admit it was funny, and I hadn't seen it before.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
at least until after 2010... I don't think NBC has a contract with the ISU past that.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They did the same thing when they aired US Nats last year (2007)- a lot of retro footage, etc. It definitely seemed like they were bowing out for good.

Also, for the first time since 2004 there will be ABC coverage of the event, on Saturday afternoon I think. If that doesn't signal the end I don't know what does. :laugh:

Also an FYI- this worlds is being shown in HD. I taped coverage on ESPN's HD channel and was pleasantly surprised to see a high-def picture when I played it back.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I'm surprised to say this but I am really enjoying ESPN's coverage thus far. I like the retrospectives, and I'm enjoying the commentary too....wow.

gourry

Final Flight
I can live without Dick's obsession about pointed toe and stretch. Definetely.:frown2:
And I was kind of surprised when Peggy commented a couple of improperly taken off jumps 'clean'.

But anyway, so far I'm really enjoying free dance.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Gotta love Dick Button calling Mirai's layback spin a sit spin

they were doing audio over a previously recorded event... it wasn't live... they could have gone back and redone the commentary at least for him to save face

but it ain't Worlds until he makes an obvious flub. :rolleyes: it just annoys me that he will get all upset with his co-commentators when they disagree with him and act like he is the end all of commentary, and then he can't call an element.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
i especially loved it when peggy said she liked yuna's layback, and dick disagreed. dick then said he better put on his glasses, and peggy said, it would be hard.
lol. throwdown between peggy and dick?

gold12345

Medalist
Dick wouldn't shut up about Yu-Na's "unattractive" spirals and spins. I'm not sure why he was so harsh on her. She has some weak positions, but so do many of the other ladies and Dick wasn't nearly as vocal for the others. Peggy had to to keep shutting him up.

They did a Kimmie fluff and it said she's dealt with personal problems this season. I'm nosy and wondering what they are referring to. The way she talks about how positive Richard Callaghan is in practice every day leads me to believe that maybe Pam Gregory was getting a little too negative?

I'm still flabbergasted as to how Kiira Korpi was anywhere near 4th after the short program. And Mao should have been in 1st. This judging system is very frustrating.

Ice dancing, I will never understand. I have to give all these couples credit for sticking it out year after year because barely any of it makes any sense.

Overall, I thought ESPN's broadcast tonight was really good. We even got to see the top 3 long programs from Jr Worlds! (All 3 were great, but they skate slow as heck.) I just wish they had had enough time at the end of the free dance to do a couple interviews. Then again, it's not like Peter would have asked any good questions. But I'm really going to miss skating on ESPN/ABC.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Dick wouldn't shut up about Yu-Na's "unattractive" spirals and spins. I'm not sure why he was so harsh on her. She has some weak positions, but so do many of the other ladies and Dick wasn't nearly as vocal for the others. Peggy had to to keep shutting him up.

Well in fairness, the Eurosport commentator wasn't thrilled with Yu-na's spins either in the short. I suspect that was an "off" performance for her. I think Yu-na's spiral while not perfect is okay.. Still I think that Yu-na's spins in the long program are really quite nice. I get the feeling that Dick doesn't like Yu-na that much.

Last edited:

gourry

Final Flight
Well in fairness, the Eurosport commentator wasn't thrilled with Yu-na's spins either in the short. I suspect that was an "off" performance for her. I think Yu-na's spiral while not perfect is okay.. Still I think that Yu-na's spins in the long program are really quite nice.

I'm pretty much sure it's not because of her leg position.:eek:hwell: There is bigggg difference.

Wrlmy

Medalist

They did a Kimmie fluff and it said she's dealt with personal problems this season. I'm nosy and wondering what they are referring to. The way she talks about how positive Richard Callaghan is in practice every day leads me to believe that maybe Pam Gregory was getting a little too negative?

I'm still flabbergasted as to how Kiira Korpi was anywhere near 4th after the short program. And Mao should have been in 1st. This judging system is very frustrating.

Overall, I thought ESPN's broadcast tonight was really good. We even got to see the top 3 long programs from Jr Worlds! (All 3 were great, but they skate slow as heck.) I just wish they had had enough time at the end of the free dance to do a couple interviews. Then again, it's not like Peter would have asked any good questions. But I'm really going to miss skating on ESPN/ABC.

Because there is nothing more fulfilling for 60+ old man than picking on an underage girl. Ok, kidding aside, over many years of listening to his commentary, I made peace with Dick being Dick (no pun intended). Yu-Na's positions are actually weaker than Mao's and some other ladies'. There is nothing wrong being vocal about the truth. But his constant critique and arguments with Peggy were embarassing and ruined the moment.

I'm happy Kimmie is having wonderful experiences with Richard Callaghan. I definitely see her improvements over very short period of time since the coaching change, and I'm anticipating how she will further improve next season.

My first impression was that Mao should've won sp, and I still stand by my first impression. But I'm no expert with levels. Actually, this is why I can't dispute Kiira's placement since I believe she deserved her pcs. I can only assume she received high levels on non jumping elements. She was still beautiful to watch nonetheless.

I'm glad ESPN showed Julia Sebestyen despite her poor placement in sp. I hope ABC will air her lp as well, which was her best lp since long time ago.

I thought it was an excellent show. I liked the little mini-fluff pieces and skaters' introductions.

I agree with Gold12345 about the segment on junior worlds. As sweet and lovely as the finalists were, the step up to seniors was made very evident by inserting that little feature into the program.

I liked Sarah Meier's program the best. In deference to the point system, I suppose I can't say that she should have won the segment (no triple-triple), but Sarah was the one that held my attention most.

I also like Kira Korpi -- I've got no problem with her placement (except that Meier should have been ahead of her, LOL.)

With Yu-na Kim off her game, I have to say that Asada is really in a class by herself (no offense to Carolina Kostner fans.)

Dance = super contest. Such a lot of variety in the free dances. I liked every performance. My faves were Khoklova/Novitski and Virtue/Moir.

Delobel and Schoenfelder are my overall favorite couple -- they always bring something new to the dance floor --but this was not their best program or their best performance, IMHO. Still, I was glad to see them win.

feraina

Record Breaker
I definitely appreciate Yu-na's soft ethereal quality with a hint of fragility, but I also can't avoid noticing her free leg position in the layback spin. There's no turn-out, and she needs to point her toes. And it's not only in this spin that she needs to point her toes but in everything she does, including jump landings. It's because she does everything else so stellarly, that her flaws become so blatant. Maybe it's the same with Dick...

Mao used to do an unattractive layback position like Yu-na's (in fact, most Asian skaters seem to have been taught the layback this way), but she re-learned it half way through this season, and now it's beautiful.

Of course your layback position depends on how you were first taught, but it's not nearly as hard to fix as, say, a flutz. I'm sure Yu-na can make hers look amazing too after working on it intensely for a few weeks. *shrug* I guess it's a matter of priorities. I don't know how much additional GOE one gets for having a "classical" position, as opposed to the bent-knee, stuck straight out kind.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Dance = super contest. Such a lot of variety in the free dances. I liked every performance. My faves were Khoklova/Novitski and Virtue/Moir.
I think I preferred Belbin & Agosto. Compared to them, K&N seemed a bit frantic. I think Belbin's "line" in this program was the best we've seen in ice dancing since Navka. In any case, Delobel & Schoenfelder were my least favorite of the top 4.