Andre Lutai to work with Tom Dickson | Golden Skate

Andre Lutai to work with Tom Dickson

Nigel

On the Ice
Dickson is doing Abbott's LP this year and his wife, Catarina Lindgren is doing Abbott's SP. Dickson works with skaters from all over the world as well as Colorado skaters.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Isn't Katarina a judge? I thought that judges can't coach/choreograph...

I have a question about the role of choreographers in general.

I see that Lutai spent a week in Colorado working on his two routines. Will Andrei come back from time to time for the choreographer to tweak and polish the programs? Or does the choreographer just give the skater the layout of the elements, etc., and that's it?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that's great news. He was terrific in Warsaw, but needed better choreography. I hope Dickson can help him get to the next level. I'd love to see him compete again.

I think that's great news. He was terrific in Warsaw, but needed better choreography. I hope Dickson can help him get to the next level. I'd love to see him compete again.
Very much agree. There is so much talent there but I think he gets the heebie jeebies from time to time. However, Mischin has his hands full with Urmanov's Voronov. Does Russia get more than l place for a 4th place world's finish?
Hope so. Makes it more interesting even at Russian Nats if Evgeni skates.

Mathman - Good questions! Kwan always had her programs tweaked after being laid out by eminent choreographers. I think in her case, it was to take out anything that would cause a problem with he bad hip.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Voronov earned two spots for Russian Men at Worlds next year. Lutai earned two spots for Russian Men at Euros next year.

Much of the two places depend on Plushenko. While I am not against Plushenko for returning (skaters should decide this) I feel that there are certain eras, in a competitive skaters life for competitions. Along with Michelle, Sasha, Irina,Yagudin, Weiss, etc. the new comers hold more of a fascination for me. Understanably, many fans would like very much to see their 'retired' favorites to skate the comps again, I would not keep those favorites from doing so if they so chose, but I think the Sport should move on.

The two Russian men both of whom have correctable flaws should be allowed to pursue their dreams and perhaps in LA come up with the magic number permitting 3 Russian skaters for the Olys. Plushenko already has his gold Oly.

Joe

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ I have to agree. Sergei Voronov's successes this past season at Trophee Eric Bompard (where he perhaps could have beaten Patrick Chan had he not been restricted from performing the 3Lutz and 3flip due to injuries, which caused him to give up many points to Chan), at Europeans (3rd LP/4th overall), and at Worlds (4th LP/7th overall) should be proof to the Russian federation that the dire need for a Plushenko return is nowhere near as urgent as it seemed during the 2007 season when they had no man finish in the top 10 at Worlds. Voronov has proven to be a much better competitor under pressure than '07 Russian champ, Andrei Griazev, whom I'd also really like to see come out blazing with improved choreography and better competitive nerves. Unfortunately, after his National win in '07, Griazev bombed at Euros and was left off the '07 World team. He tends to turn it on at Cup of Russia, but normally runs cold in his performances overall. Lutai, Dobrin, and Uspenski are still very young and have not had very much senior experience. I'm really excited to see how the Russian men continue to develop. I love watching them skate and they are all very talented! GO RUSSIA!!

Last edited:
^^ I have to agree. Sergei Voronov's successes this past season at Trophee Eric Bompard (where he perhaps could have beaten Patrick Chan had he not been restricted from performing the 3Lutz and 3flip due to injuries, which caused him to give up many points to Chan), at Europeans (3rd LP/4th overall), and at Worlds (4th LP/7th overall) should be proof to the Russian federation that the dire need for a Plushenko return is nowhere near as urgent as it seemed during the 2007 season when they had no man finish in the top 10 at Worlds. Voronov has proven to be a much better competitor under pressure than '07 Russian champ, Andrei Griazev, whom I'd also really like to see come out blazing with improved choreography and better competitive nerves. Unfortunately, after his National win in '07, Griazev bombed at Euros and was left off the '07 World team. He tends to turn it on at Cup of Russia, but normally runs cold in his performances overall. Lutai, Dobrin, and Uspenski are still very young and have not had very much senior experience. I'm really excited to see how the Russian men continue to develop. I love watching them skate and they are all very talented! GO RUSSIA!!
I think Lutai will be 22 for the 2009 Worlds. It would be a shame if he doesn't get another chance. I've seen more of Griazev in a lot of international competitions. He is not exactly dependable. IMO, Dobrin and Uspenski are ok but nothing special. I think Voronov should go to Kurt to loosen him up, and if that happens, he will contend for the gold. However, I prefer Lutai who already has the flow on ice which I like, but needs to click with the technical. Mischa should take care of that.

Joe