Lambiel Injured Again - No Skate Canada? | Golden Skate

Lambiel Injured Again - No Skate Canada?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Too injured for Skate Canada, but not for show skating.... :sheesh:

lcd

Match Penalty
So disappointing... either his head, his heart, or his body... something seems to let him down... would be sad if his best competitive years were behind him.

libby

Match Penalty
It is not yet an absolute that he is out of either of his Grand Prix events - he hasn't withdrawn from Skate Canada or Trophee Eric Bompard. IFS took the news from Lambiel's own website, where he only says that "although he really hopes to be ready for the Grand Prix, his participation is still uncertain." He also states that he held back on his jumps and spins at COI in order not to aggravate his injury.

You can read his official statement on his site here:

http://www.stephanelambiel.ch/?p=homepage

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ISU will be on his back if he continues to appear in shows while cancelling GP events.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's really no need for the snarks about him doing shows. There's a HUGE difference between doing a 3toe and a 2Axel during low-stress show tours and being expected to land 4toes and 3Axels in competition, along with a full plate of all the other triples and all the other required elements in a SP and LP. The level of pressure and stress on the mind and body are nowhere near the same. Anyone should be able to understand that fact and thus, give Lambiel a break. He doesn't want to let his fans down that come to those shows to see him.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am so eager to see what's going to happen for Lambiel this season! Honestly, and it was nothing more than a completely subjective impression on my part, I had thought that his heart had left competitive skating by last season. After all, he'd reached the pinnacle of the sport by being World Champ twice in a row. What more was left at that point? (I've become disillusioned by the Olys and revere Worlds as much or more.)

Then, Lambiel switched coaches, so I was thinking, wow, he's really re-lighting the fires. And he still may be -- I really don't know what to make of this latest injury/maybe not ready to compete report.

I can definitely see where someone could be reasonably ok to do a low-key show but not feel ready to compete, BUT he or she should remember that any show skating could risk aggravating whatever injuries are making competition difficult. But I also see the point that the skaters all have bills to pay and fans they want to perform for. Tough calls to make, indeed.

I don't think the question here is whether or not a participation at a show will aggravate his injury. Lambiel's problem is now the ISU, because they are stricter now with skaters missing Grand Prix events.

If Lambiel decides to skip one or both Grand Prixs because of this injury the ISU might claim that he already participated in a show after the injury concluding that he is also able to compete. They don't care about the different stress levels for the body of competition vs. shows as museksk8r mentioned. They just don't like to see the skaters doing shows instead of competing. So Lambiel might have done a tactical mistake in participating in Champions on Ice Japan a week ago.

I image that he will compete because of what I stated above. He needs the money and he can't afford to have no show/competition income till the end of the year. Because he wouldn't be allowed to do a single show for as long as he is injured - means: till the second Grand Prix event or the whole Grand Prix.

P.S. Skate Canada might be especially angry, because they would even loose their second headliner of the Skate Canada International Grand Prix event.

I'm not so sure the Swiss Fed gives him much money. In the early days, his fans used to donate money for him, so anyway he can make a buck, he has to go for it. We all love him, but he is not Federer.

Hopefully, he gets the injury under control and he comes out with flying quads and does SA and TEB. I think it's still a bit early for him to call it quits.

emma

Record Breaker
does doing a show before the GP's even start actually count in terms of the ISU rules? Somehow I thought their rules meant during the GP season...

Anyway, I was afraid of this when Weir mentioned Lambiel was in Europe (or whatever he said in his journal that indicated Stephan might be injured). I really, really hope he gets this 'fixed' and comes back fighting - no surprise to anyone, but I love Lambiel, and with Jeff retired I'm already feeling blue.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
does doing a show before the GP's even start actually count in terms of the ISU rules? Somehow I thought their rules meant during the GP season...

He is saying he is injured, but he is participating in shows. If he does cancel out of Skate Canada, the ISU can point to the shows he was doing and say, 'how is it that you were injured but still able to do the show'.

It's a legitimate question. Lambiel has a GROIN injury, an injury that takes a long, long time to heal, and skating in shows does nothing to promote the healing process. He still must stress those muscles during his show routines, instead of resting as the doctors recommended.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about Lambiel's recent injury. IMO Lambiel's passion for competition has left the rink and this recent injury just might push him out.
It may be more lucrative for him to skate in only shows. He is very popular and has a lot of fans. JMO

ETA: according to an article posted on FSU (it is not in English and the poster translated a bit of the article) Lambiel will be returning to the U.S. in a few days to continue his training. He has got the green light from his doctor and he will be doing both of his Grand Prix events.

Last edited:
Does doing a show before the GP's even start actually count in terms of the ISU rules? Somehow I thought their rules meant during the GP season...
I think you are right, in terms of the official Grand Prix rules. Skaters who are scheduled to perform in the Grand Prix but who withdraw because of illness or injury are not allowed to participate in any competitions, shows or exhibitions during the Grand Prix season, from Skate America until the end of the Grand Prix final.

Also, however, if a skater withdraws he has to submit doctors' reports stating the date that the injury was sustained, the severity, etc. As far as I know the ISU rarely questions whether an athlete was really injured or not. But conceivably they might see something amiss if Stephane says just before Skate Canada, "oh no, I injured myself yesterday, now I have to withdraw -- please ignore all those blog entries on my website about how I have been injured for months."

On the other hand if he says, "I received a serious injury 6 months ago, so I can't do Skate Canada even though I have been skating in shows" -- that might be questioned, too.

There is also the infamous "Rule 136, paragraph 6." I forgot the exact wording, but basically it says that any skater who punks out on ISU competitions to do other stuff can lose his/her eligibiltity of Worlds, Olympics, etc.

KayMil01

On the Ice
The news on his website stating he has had an injury must have been posted a little late, because new articles today say the doctors gave him the green light to resume training, and his left adductor muscle is stable. In the article it says he still feels a little pain, but it's alright to train again. He'll be going back to New Jersey in a few days. Also, he still have some choreography to finish, but it shouldn't be a problem as he learns choreo fast. It says he'll compete in his GP events as planned...great news, I'm so glad!:rock::clap::love: now I'm crossing my fingers and pray that he'll stay in good condition the whole season.

I should say the same thing for any skater with an injury...no more injuries so they can compete.

Go Stephane:agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
strange how how he never seems to be 100% . so talented, yet it is either his injuries, or lost triple axel, or lack of fire and confidence. I hope he can get everything working together by 2010.

merrybari

Final Flight
Good news indeed that he feels able to participate in his GP events. I look forward to seeing him live for the first time at Skate Canada.

Let's hope ALL competitors stay healthy this season.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks chuckm and MM for the clarification on the rules --

Here's hoping it all works out well for Lambiel!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Maybe Lambiel should start doing just show skating? I´m sure he, with his wonderful feeling towards music and great choreography created by a professional, would be a huuuuge asset to SOI, really needed. I think that with the combined efforts of Lambiel, Buttle and Weiss SOI would start winning the audiences back, that were lost after Hamilton left the show skating.