U.S. Team Envelope criteria revised for 2009-10 season | Golden Skate

U.S. Team Envelope criteria revised for 2009-10 season

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Consideration will be given to place World medalists from the previous two seasons into Team A – Tier 2 or Team B – Tier 1 at the discretion of the International Committee Management Subcommittee. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the next competitive season."

Assuming the "previous two seasons" are 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, the only US World medalists are Belbin/Agosto (2007 bronze) and Johnny Weir (2008 bronze).

So it would appear that if Cohen returns and/or Meissner and/or Lysacek don't meet "A" criteria this season, they wouldn't be included under this provision, because they were medalists in the 2005-2006 season.

Kypma

Final Flight
"Consideration will be given to place World medalists from the previous two seasons into Team A – Tier 2 or Team B – Tier 1 at the discretion of the International Committee Management Subcommittee. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the next competitive season."

Assuming the "previous two seasons" are 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, the only US World medalists are Belbin/Agosto (2007 bronze) and Johnny Weir (2008 bronze).

So it would appear that if Cohen returns and/or Meissner and/or Lysacek don't meet "A" criteria this season, they wouldn't be included under this provision, because they were medalists in the 2005-2006 season.

Sine these are the considerations for 2009-2010, wouldn't the past two seasons be 2008-2009 an 2007-2008? In which case, there would be Weir (bronze, 2008) and whichever skaters medal this year...

-Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Except that the 2009-2010 envelope placements would be initially based on performance during the 2008-2009 season. Skaters who medaled at Worlds 2009 would automatically be in A, tier one---no need for any other qualification.

The key word is previous two seasons, not the one on which the base placements are made. So that would be 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, meaning medalists at 2007 and 2008 Worlds.

U.S. Figure Skating has published their 2009-10 Team Envelope criteria that has been revised to have two tiers per level (A-C): http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?cat=2&id=2&sid=41936
I read it twice, but the dummy that I am can only say the splitting up of the Level A into two Parts means that there will be less money for the "B" part. Is that correct?

And deciding whether to put which skater into what grouping is a discretionary matter for the Committee Management Sub-Committe (whatever that is). Am I reading correctly that after completing the criteria for Level A, a skater must wait for the final decision as to where he/she/them stands?

ChrisH

On the Ice
This season's envelope criteria: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?cat=2&sid=35400

I noticed yesterday that the USFS finally promoted Alissa from the reserve team to team C. If Alissa's Nebelhorn win (as a senior) didn't move her up, I would've called for some heads at the USFS to roll. ;) A couple of the criteria changes (posted prior to Alissa's win) seem to be specifically and negatively related to Alissa's travels.

The overall changes seem to have marginally improved the team envelope criteria. The biggest hole IMO still hasn't been addressed, which is non-utilization of an international and/or national ranking system. The ISU utilizes two rankings (and Worlds placement) for GP qualifying, a two-to-three year cumulative ranking and a season best ranking. The many USFS criteria in effect substitute for a season best ranking. The exception is for regional and sectional results. The substitute for the cumulative ranking, however, is sparse. The USFS could substitute for a cumulative ranking by saying if you meet 4 or more criteria in one envelope, you will be placed in the next higher envelope.

The criteria fixes parts of two issues I had.
1) It differentiates between medaling at GP events, JGP events, senior B internationals, and junior B internationals rather than clumping them all together.
2) It differentiates between medaling at Worlds and placing 4th through 10th.

The criteria worsens another issue I had. It eliminates reserve team consideration for regional and sectional performances.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I noticed yesterday that the USFS finally promoted Alissa from the reserve team to team C.
Besides Czisny, skaters/teams that have moved into Team C envelope funding from the Reserve team after medaling in their JGP events are: Melissa Bulanhagui, Curran Oi, Alexander Johnson, and Piper Gilles/Zachary Donohue.

The criteria make worse another issue I had. It eliminates reserve team consideration for regional and sectional results.
Well it wasn't being utilized anyway...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I read it twice, but the dummy that I am can only say the splitting up of the Level A into two Parts means that there will be less money for the "B" part. Is that correct?
Yes, I assume so.

And deciding whether to put which skater into what grouping is a discretionary matter for the Committee Management Sub-Committe (whatever that is).
It's the International Committee Management Subcommittee (ICMS), and they oversee the envelope process as well as the fall international assignments (JGP, Sr. B and Skate America). ICMS only uses their discretion in specific cases (as noted in the document). If a skater or team meets the criterion for a specific envelope level (A-C) or tier (1 or 2), then they qualify automatically for it (no ICMS involvement). And, as the document states: "Athletes qualifying in more than one envelope and/or tier will always be placed in the higher envelope and tier."

ChrisH

On the Ice
Besides Czisny, skaters/teams that have moved into Team C envelope funding from the Reserve team after medaling in their JGP events are: Melissa Bulanhagui, Curran Oi, Alexander Johnson, and Piper Gilles/Zachary Donohue.

The criteria make worse another issue I had. It eliminates reserve team consideration for regional and sectional results.
Well it wasn't being utilized anyway...
So that non-utilization wasn't just confined to ladies singles? The list of ladies alternates for the JGP showed that the USFS is capable of choosing the right ladies for the reserve team, but have declined in some cases to do so.

Given the quality of the competition at Nebelhorn and Alissa's performance, she's really somewhere between a team B and team C skater. Some even consider her a threat for the top 2 at Nationals.