2008 GPF Gala | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2008 GPF Gala

Bennett

Record Breaker
During her SP and LP performances as well, I noticed that quietness, which was unfortunate. Even a two-3A program was not enough to make them very excited. It wasn't like that when Mao skated at 4CC in Korea last time without Yuna competing against her, or when Yuna skated in Tokyo Worlds 2007. The audience at Tokyo were very excited with Yuna's SP and sighed truly dissapointedly when Yuna fell twice in LP. It seems that there are a lot of enthusiastic Mao fans in Korea. Even if not particularly devoted fans, they could be very excited with her as we saw at 4CC.

But as someone said, her fans and/or those who like FS in general may not have been able to get tickets of ladies. Only devoted Yuna fans may have been able to judging by the incredible number of banners for her that covered up most of the seats throughout the arena. Many of the banners looked very alike in colors and designs, which implies that many of the audience might be from her fan clubs. As I watched those banners, I was thinking that it would be cool if they did a "wave" using these banners.:laugh: It would have been an impressive sight:yes:

Overall, the gala had a great energy and I really enjoyed it.

Especially, I was happy to see Tomas's gala performance. He could be so sexy. Wow! The audience really loved him.

Johnny was so extremely beautiful as always. Joannie was also sexy and had a great ease in her jumps. Caro was very cute, too.

Taka had very interesting steps. I wish he did not fall. But it was an adorable performance.

I liked Yuna's costume. It was very elegant. I might have liked it even better if it were not black and silver. But it had a very beautiful line around her back. It was a lyrical performance, which reminded me of her 2006-7 gala.

Mao had a great energy. It is interesting that she is 100% more expressive during her gala performances than during competitive programs. This is a very cool, sophisticated program. Especially, I love the snakes and footsteps. I also like this costume. Very stylish.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Abbott was fantastic! Jumps were 3R, 3A (!) and 3L. He did the short program from last year - I loved that program and was incredibly sad that he never did it cleanly. Abbott's musical versatility is amazing, at this competition he had a classical short program, a Tango-long and a Santana-exhibition.

To each her own, as they say, cuz it's so funny to me you should say that -- I really, really dislike Jeremy's SP from last year. It's kinda kept me from warming up more to his skating overall. To me his "moves" (speaking of the choreography and attempts to move to the music) seem awkward and unnatural, especially so in that program. I always skip tracks when I'm watching my worlds cd and his sp comes up. Oh, well.

Kimmie Fan

On the Ice
This discussion about how much applause Mao should get is quite funny.

Because in most sports, the opposing team/players gets booed! :laugh:

Even the most fanatical FS fan is gentle compared to soccer hooligans! :laugh:

appletree

Spectator
This discussion about how much applause Mao should get is quite funny.

Because in most sports, the opposing team/players gets booed! :laugh:

Even the most fanatical FS fan is gentle compared to soccer hooligans! :laugh:

My feelings exactly.

As I am more used to English football derbies, I am amazed how figure skating fans can cheer for skaters from one another's countries! And I believe Mao received plenty of applause and reactions from Korean fans at the GPF. There are a lot of Mao fans in Korea.

Considering that she won over the hometown girl and considering the historical hostilities between Korea and Japan, I think the Korean fans were amazingly gracious toward Mao and all of the Japanese skaters!

Bennett

Record Breaker
Interesting point:)

I think that booing is off the FS culture.

Unlike ball games where two teams directly fight against each other, the competitor's bad performance proves nothing about your good skills. So booing and feeling lucky about the other's failure can mean something more nasty in the case of FS than in ball games.

It's also a performing art. You would miss the opportunity to see something beautiful if you let jealousy cloud your eyes.:)

Last edited: