2009 US Nationals & Worlds TV schedule | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2009 US Nationals & Worlds TV schedule

jcoates

Medalist
Interesting point. I'm not a big fan of tennis so I don't follow it. I don't even watch the championship events...maybe just bits and pieces of the final rounds.

That makes you a perfect example. Casual fans used to watch a lot more tennis and skating. I have lots of friends who don't watch either anymore. There needs to an investment in the sport not just by the governing bodies but also by the broadcasters. They want lightning in a bottle that takes little work on their part, but that won't yield long term results. Don't take your audience for granted and assume they will show up.

Golf is now getting that mainstream coverage you're talking about, mainly due to Tiger Woods. Not only major tournaments, but practically every invitational gets some sort of network TV coverage, it seems. Once he retires, I bet you anything golf fans will start complaining about dwindling coverage as well. But there is always the Golf Channel.

That's just what I'm getting at. Both tennis and skating used to feature not only professional (tennis) and Oly eligible (skating) competitions on weekends, but also lots of made for TV events as well. Tennis had it's boom in the latter area in the 70s and early 80's. Before it trimmed down to primarily main tour level events on TV in 80s 90s and 00s and now to almost nothing. Skating's boom on TV actually lasted a lot longer from the 70's to the early part of this decade. But the mainstream competitions are dropping off TV at a much faster rate. Skating, like tennis, used to be really effective counter programming against football and other demographically "male" sports. Tennis had the advantage of appealing to women and men equally. It still does, just a much smaller share of them. Skating's primary appeal was to women and is now being crowded out by the rise in other sports which women, and men, find appealing. Golf is at the top of the list, but other traditionally "male" sports have made inroads in popularity with women also from NASCAR to the NFL.

Also, golf may not have the drop off you are predicting, at least not like skating. Tiger will play for a very long time and is already attracting legions of new players. That's why skating's presence on TV matters. It's a recruitment tool. The PGA and LPGA are light years better at marketing themselves than either tennis or skating. That's partly due to the nature of the sport which is accessible to far more people of different ages and abilities, but also because there has been a major investment in making the players other than Tiger well known, regardless of where they are from. They are all but required to help market the sport because they have an ownership stake in it. The PGA and LPGA are both trade associations/unions. The other governing bodies and broadcasters work closely with them out of a sense of common interest and purpose. In skating and tennis, there is far less universal cooperation.

I think NBC faces the Olympic catch 22. The big thing in the Olympics is which country wins the most medals. So if the U.S. doesn't have a Nancy Kerrigan going against an Oksana Baiul, or a Debi Thomas versus Katarina Witt, then -- meh -- bring on skateboarding and the Flying Tomato. Get rid of the Olympic tie-in, and maybe fans will see that figure skating is a cool sport in its own right (apart from patriotic flag-waving). Then we could try to market events like the World Championship and international competitors. Roger Federer has a lot of U.S. fans in tennis, why not Mao Asada and Yuna Kim?

Witt was well liked by a wide international audience by the time Calgary came around and would have been even if Debi had not been such a great rival. That's because TV invested heavily in promoting her. Torvill and Dean were superstars before they went to Sarajevo. Again, because they had a pre-made image to sell. Yes, some stars are made at the Games, but others already exist before they get there.

I would say that the events held in the lead up to the Olympics should be used as a building cycle. That's the advantage to NBC having broadcast rights. They don't have to cram all the human interest work into Vancouver. They can lay the groundwork now. I'm sure they will try, but the job will be a lot harder with a lot of Worlds on hard to find cable. Let's face it, 2010 will have a lot of foreign faces in contention for skating medals. I think that's a good thing. Skating fans all over the world enthusiastically embrace skaters from far flung places. Like Johnny in Asia and Russia. That should be a selling point. Plus, the host nation is likely to field a very strong team in each discipline. Why not give them some love too? They are all attractive and marketable. Tessa and Scott could be models in their spare time. Why not use that to mine ratings gold? The US has the chance to build a new legacy in ice dance. Give that some emphasis too. There should be fewer preconditions on where new stars should be coming from. The emphasis should be on finding them, humanizing and promoting them and focusing on the quality of the overall competition rather than the countries. The Olympics will necessarily create a nationalistic atmosphere no matter what.

Still, much of this is out of our hands. I can only hope that it's not too late to reverse the trend.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Golf is at the top of the list, but other traditionally "male" sports have made inroads in popularity with women also from NASCAR to the NFL.

I think a great example of this is PBR (Bull Riding) The PBR is actively marketing their sport...AND using youtube to promote it..I subscribe and get little video excerpts of events sent to me. The PBR is growing by leaps and bounds and fans cheer on riders from all countries.

Is there any marketing and promotion of Figure Skating? You sure never see it.

Anyone got the complete story of where Icenetwork will be on all this? NBC is not interested in the extreme diehard fans who want to see everything and not just the top skaters I think the diehard fans (not the extreme ones) will be satisfied with NBC's schedule for Worlds.

Unfortunately, NBC is not going to show the SPs although they are on at decent times of the day. Hopefully IN has its cameras there during the week. And Juniors too. It would be nice to check out Armin M. and Becky B, and Chock/Zuerlein before Jr. Worlds.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They don't have to cram all the human interest work into Vancouver. They can lay the groundwork now. I'm sure they will try, but the job will be a lot harder with a lot of Worlds on hard to find cable.

To add to that, the Worlds are on the West Coast, and many of the events are in the evening. This means that for East Coast folks, they will have to stay up until the wee hours of the morning to see many of the final events. Worked for the Gymnastics All-Around final in Beijing, but not in this case. I'm not sure how much flexibility NBC has in the times of the events, but this would mean late-night coverage for many of the events. I've been thinking about this, and they have probably done the best thing by putting it on Oxygen, a network that will likely show live coverage across the country. To show it on the NBC network, they would either have to move the times of the events around, or pre-empt Leno and Conan to show it in late-night. And what about the west coast, where the event is being held? Can't show them live coverage (although knowing NBC, they wouldn't have too much of an issue with that) without cutting into time for local news segments. And we know as well as they do that the ratings wouldn't justify such a move.

Take a look at the schedule on the LA Worlds web site. Only the Ladies' FS is at a "TV-friendly time". Next best thing is to show the events on tape Saturday afternoon (if the day isn't already booked with something else).

Last edited:

jcoates

Medalist
I think a great example of this is PBR (Bull Riding) The PBR is actively marketing their sport...AND using youtube to promote it..I subscribe and get little video excerpts of events sent to me. The PBR is growing by leaps and bounds and fans cheer on riders from all countries.

Is there any marketing and promotion of Figure Skating? You sure never see it.

Well said. In trying to remarket itself the men's tennis tour has a youtube channel that features clips from tournaments each week. They still have a subscription service for the big main tour events outside the majors. The clips aren't just about tournament results either. For example every Xmas, they sit a bunch of players from all over the world and ask them to sing snippets of a classic carol in English. Many of them are totally unfamiliar with the song chosen or are just not good at singing outside their native language. Still, they gamely try and it's often hysterically funny. It shows a different side of them and really makes them all more likable. The USFSA and ISU could do more of this among other things. They could also invest in other new media like Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, etc. Another thing would be to make their current choice, IN, viewable on mobile devices. Everything else is.

Check it out

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree. USFS must step up promotional efforts and stop trying to take down every YT skating video that's put up. Yes, copyright is one thing, but they should also consider the free exposure they are getting from it. Even some of the record companies have figured it out!

jcoates

Medalist
Take a look at the schedule on the LA Worlds web site. Only the Ladies' FS is at a "TV-friendly time". Next best thing is to show the events on tape Saturday afternoon (if the day isn't already booked with something else).

I don't see why they couldn't do that. NBC is a sinking ship anyway. Their primetime operation has been in disarray for some time and it's not going to get better soon. That's why they are moving Leno to 10pm in the fall. In the meantime, why not use Oxygen to air a lot of live coverage and then rebroadcast edited taped coverage on NBC on Friday night (a virtual dead zone for them) and also on Saturday. Another option would be to negotiate a deal with USFSA and IN to cover portions not shown on Oxygen and then share video on both their websites, either nbc.com or nbcolympics.com. They could also use hulu which is an NBC property. They could recoup some of the cost through the advertising they use on their sites. Cross promote on as many platforms as possible and share the benefits.