Jason Brown and Max Aaron | Golden Skate

Jason Brown and Max Aaron

MasterB

Final Flight
WOW! have you guys checked out sectionals?

Jason Brown, junior men's champion, gets the most improved skater award. At Novice nationals last year he earned a silver with a very exciting and confident program. I believe he only landed three different triples at that event.

This year he has added a flip and a lutz to his arsenal. He skated a perfect program at Midwestern and earn 130 points for his efforts. He beat out last year's novice national champion Joshua Farris.

You should check out this event, you won't be disappointed.

MAX aaron gets the comeback award. Last year at sectionals or regionals he skated a misearable program. He looked overweight and out of shape. He could barely land one triple, now he is cruising through the triples like a walk in the park. He is one to watch at nationals in January.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Jason Brown, junior men's champion, gets the most improved skater award. At Novice nationals last year he earned a silver with a very exciting and confident program. I believe he only landed three different triples at that event.
By "junior men's champion," MasterB is referring to Jason Brown winning the very competitive Junior Men's event at Midwestern Sectionals last weekend. Brown was the Novice bronze medalist at 2009 US Nationals (behind Joshua Farris and Steven Evans, both of whom competed on the JGP this fall while Brown was a listed alternate) and was credited with cleanly landing 2 different triples at last year's Nationals (toe and salchow) with a triple loop downgraded.

This year he has added a flip and a lutz to his arsenal. He skated a perfect program at Midwestern and earn 130 points for his efforts.
Brown landed 7 triples in his Mids FS (2A, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A+2A SEQ, 3Lz, 3T+2T+2Lo, 3S) and will be 15 years old in December -- here's the link to his Icenetwork bio (he usually wears his shoulder-length hair in a ponytail): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100826&mode=I
I like the contrast in his two programs this year -- an upbeat/jazzy/entertaining short program to "Hey Pachuco" from The Mask soundtrack and an elegant classical free skate in the role of the Prince to Tchaikovsky's "Pas de Deux" from The Nutcracker.

MAX aaron gets the comeback award. Last year at sectionals or regionals he skated a misearable program. He looked overweight and out of shape. He could barely land one triple, now he is cruising through the triples like a walk in the park. He is one to watch at nationals in January.
I know Aaron was injured most of last season and that's most likely why he did not skate well at last year's Midwestern Sectionals (8th place in Junior). This season Aaron has relocated to the Broadmoor SC in Colorado Springs and acquired a 3A (at Mids he landed it SP with +GOE and fell out of the jump in his FS but rotated 7 other triples, 6 cleanly).

WOW! have you guys checked out sectionals?... You should check out this [Mids Junior Men's] event, you won't be disappointed.
For those interested, I've posted the 3 links to Icenetwork's Sectionals videos in the thread for U.S. Sectionals: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=435253#post435253

Last edited:

MasterB

Final Flight
Sylvia,

Do you have any information on Roger Corvasce? A few years ago this young man seemed very promising. Last year he made it to nationals but had to withdraw to what I assumed was due to injury. His skate this year at regionals was dismal and at sectionals he didn't do much better.

penguin girl

Rinkside
Jason Brown is AMAZING, and the best thing about him is his joy in skating. I was ice monitor last year at uppers and saw the joy on his face throughout his programs.

It looks like Joshua Farris has really grown--in feet. I'm amazed he has held his jumps together but he looked a bit slow at sectionals this year.

I am amazed at Max Aaron, but I can't say I liked his music in his free program this year. He really just overpowered it--boy he can jump.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Sylvia,

Do you have any information on Roger Corvasce? A few years ago this young man seemed very promising. Last year he made it to nationals but had to withdraw to what I assumed was due to injury. His skate this year at regionals was dismal and at sectionals he didn't do much better.
I don't have any current first-hand information, but my understanding is that Corvasce's 2009 Nationals withdrawal was due to a serious knee injury and his rehab./recovery has continued into this season. He may not have been ready to compete until Regionals and Sectionals, which would explain why his showings have been below par for him. A real shame -- Corvasce was landing consistent triple axels in competition last season and was expected to be one of the contendors in Junior Men at Nationals before his withdrawal.

MasterB

Final Flight
I don't have any current first-hand information, but my understanding is that Corvasce's 2009 Nationals withdrawal was due to a serious knee injury and his rehab./recovery has continued into this season. He may not have been ready to compete until Regionals and Sectionals, which would explain why his showings have been below par for him. A real shame -- Corvasce was landing consistent triple axels in competition last season and was expected to be one of the contendors in Junior Men at Nationals before his withdrawal.

Thank you for the update. That explains alot. I hope he hangs in there and makes a strong comeback next year. He has great technique and an almost Yagudin quality about his presentation.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I saw Jason skate at UGLs this year (LP only) and he was awesome. There's something about Jason live that you don't pick up from video and that's his "it factor" or ability to draw you into his performance.