Tips on buying used skates? | Golden Skate

Tips on buying used skates?

jjane45

On the Ice
Dear All,

I am hoping to get some advices on finding used skates. Seemingly I grew out of my second-hand Jackson Classique and need to find a pair of slightly more advanced boots that support ISI FS4 loop / flip jumps.

I do not have budget to buy new... Rainbo in my area recommended Jackson Elite (or Elite Plus) 6B but does not have a good used pair in stock. I will call in frequently to check.

In the meanwhile, where else could I look for used skates in addition to asking skaters / coaches I know? My rink does not seem to have a skates swap. Just set up an eBay search alert, any other sources I should try? I vaguely remember there is a website for swapping used skating goods (with the option to support clubs) but can't seem to find it now.

This link mostly recommends Riedell, Gam, and Risport for ISI FS4&5. Guess I could look into them as well if I run across a good pair.

Your opinions on skates-shopping are truly appreciated!

Kypma

Final Flight
I currently have Jackson Elite Plus and I'm working on the single Axel, and double toe and sal prep exercises. Honestly, I'm overbooted. I'm approximately 5"3, 120lbs, and after 6 months I had yet to even break in the boots. Maybe by getting them second hand it will be easier, but to jump from a Classique to even the basic Elite sounds like a lot to me. I was in Competitors (2 above Classique, 1 under Elite) and going to the Elite Plus was a huge difference. While in my previous boots I had all singles up to the Lutz hyper consistent, up to Lutz-loop combinations and good Axel takeoffs. The only reason I changed was that the boots had stretched a little, making them insufficiently supportive for Axels and doubles, so I was recommended to upgrade the boot to something which would last me 2 years (I'm done growing).

I would offer you my broken in (not broken down, as checked by a professional boot fitter) Competitors, as they are a size 6B, as a temporary solution but I don't think you're in my area.

jjane45

On the Ice
Thank you so much Kympa, taking it to the PM :)

It took me few weeks to adjust to my second-hand, allegedly soft-leather Jackson Classique, Elite is probably too tough then. Will talk to pro shop about it.

Oh btw I was talking to a prefreestyle skater last night who just got herself a pair of Jackson Elite. She had severe ankle problems with her previous custom Jackson, but skates fine in stock Elite in a week... I was soooooo surprised. Some skaters are just luckier than others! But maybe you feel the stiffness mostly on jumps?... :think: