Artistry On Ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Artistry On Ice

aaron

Rinkside
Thank you LuCN for video links and interesting observations:)

I really like Patrick's new program. It seems as though the whole program is made up of step sequences with jumps integrated within the steps. He can be more dramatic and brings out jazzy feeling of the music, but that I think, will eventually improve as the season goes by. BTW, does naval officer cleans the deck?

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Patrick Chan's new EX moondance by Micheal Buble:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjg2MDIxOTQ0.html

WOW, it is just wonderful to watch as the skater has the music and choreography that really, really fit him...

As the opposite is Weir´s performance to Piaf music sung with soooo much heart which did not suit his distant performance at all. The choreography was too hasty, unemotional and did not interpret the music well, in my opinion. Oooh, Lambiel would make a wonderful performance out of this music, I think!!!

So far I have not been able to watch Buttle, Yagudin and S & Z.

Last edited:

LuCN

Rinkside
well,I once want to write down the all feelings from the beginning,but seems you alll concern about Johnny,then Johnny first

but it may hurt fans,it's just my opinion,I don't ask you to agree with me,if you don't want to see criticism,don't read this post,thank you.

Johnny is the biggest star of the night,obviously.only Vladimir Besedin/Oleksiy Plishchuk got louder ovations,but they have no fans before,nearly all the audience saw them for the fist time.Johnny have planty of die-hard fans here,and because of the orgaziner and the medias's promotion,all the people know there is a "Lady Gaga On Ice".they cheered weirdly when Bad Romance began,and shout at every moment of the number.But they just want to see a over the top performance,weird costumes,and twist the ***...not skating,they can cheer for anyone did those.Many people even think it's Poker Face again!(we all know it's Bad Romance.)It's kind of sad...the ladygaga things bring flame to Johnny,but also take away something...

anyway,we have different feelings about the pro,but Johnny already said at the press conference,he won't skate to Lady Gaga anymore.Hope he can do it. :)

for the other pro,die-hard fans may love it to death,because it "MIX" most of his representative work.They will cry or feel on heaven when see them together at the same time.BUT,for the other audience,other figure skating fans,it's too casual IMO.the first part people don't know what he want to express,especially when it's not a English speaking country.and the 2nd part,is too slow,and lack of choreograph.

besides that,Johnny become so slow in person,I don't know why.maybe he's just tired,maybe he's lack of training,or maybe...figure skating is not his first choice anymore...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick works for his money. He makes the extremely difficult look easy while others make the easy look impressive.

I'm disappointed at a couple of the others and feel like they are cheating. Champions should skate like champions, even in shows. Let them impress me with at least one aspect of skating even when they don't have the skill levels any more. N/K, e.g., made me wonder at first if it was a Pairs or a dance. Their program doesn't have any of the difficulties of either, as they don't do close skating as in Dance and of course there are no Pairs tricks. But then it works for this audience, so.........

I like S/Z innovating with the table though more can be done with the choreography for the story. Really good for their taking on choregraphies for the show though. So far the Chinese skaters have to go oversea for their programs so S/Z are breaking new grounds.

eta. LuCN, what you say about Johnny is realy quite obvious. He doesn't have the skills or stamina so it's about distractions and staging, with makeup and costumes and provocative poses. Not my cup of tea on ice.

Last edited:

LuCN

Rinkside
well,SkateFiguring,figure skating shows are different from the competitions,especially in China and other new markets,most people who come to the show don't know what figure skating is.They need to see some more dramatic,powerful,pop culcure related,even something dirty...

To make those kind of people crazy with typical figure skating pros need much more skills.someone like Yagudin,Kurt,Lambiel...can do this.But others have to do something not very "figure skating" to attract the audience.I think it's acceptable...

BTW,They went to the great wall today:
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/690ffbeftw1dja80rusi3j.jpg

seniorita

Record Breaker
Making an easy thing look impressive is not a piece of cake as well. Johnny is a showman, how many can do what he does, wear what he wears and get applauded for it on top of all? It is not only in China he gets cheered. Every show with him I ve seen live he is always well accepted. And before rushing that the audience of shows is different than competitions, I ve seen him getiing huge applause in GP gala as well. I say everybody in the show work for their money, a show only with rachmaninofs or only lady gagas would be extremely boring, the ones who paid a ticket which I usually find expensive havent gone there to count the turns and the quads, they want to get two hours of entertainment, a show can fit a lot of different styles. I wouldnt underestimate the showmanship factor, especially if i was the owner of the show.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't deny Johnny his success, just saying it's not my cup of tea. I've always preferred purer talents in singing, dancing and skating, with props and costumes being enhancers, not the main act. Anybody can wear the outrageous makeup and costume if they choose.

Actually I've always found it ironic for some to keep complaining about the non-popularity of skating in the US and to blame it all on the pageantry whereas the best known, most popular, and crowd drawing American skater is Johnny Weir, the ultimate pageant diva. There is probably not enough pomp and pageantry in skating for the Americans.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Since when Johnny is not a pure talent of a figure skater? Because he is not in the top form anymore? People forget easy.

Anybody can wear the outrageous makeup and costume if they choose

True. I dont know though how many could have gotten away with it. Probably none else.

I think one can know what sells on him and what not and for which kind of show it is suitable.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think if Johnny wants to get back in top form, he can. I've seen footage of his perfect 3A in May or so. It will be interesting to see if he ever wants to get back into competition.

As far as pure skating, how about Rondo Capricio and others of that era? Or his 2010 long program?

He's having a lot of fun now, is more popular worldwide than ever. So it will be interesting to see what happens in his future.

LuCN

Rinkside
about the tickets selling,as I've said before,this kind of shows here never depand on the gate receipts,but on the sponsers.This time,they seem to have more sponsers,good for them.Although the stadium was over 70% full,most them take complimentary tickets or bought the scalped tickets in a very low price(around 10%-20% of the original one).only die-hard fans bought high price tickets from the organizer.I didn't bought the best seats,but sit on the front row through the two shows. :cool:

Opening,WOW~It's powerful,passionate and very entertainment!music like KOI by Marton,and the theme is "the Matrix".(pity Joubert didn't come LOL)the costume,sunglasses are so COOL!wonderful opening for a show~SZ did a great job!PS:Yagudin and Patrick showed step sequence together then Jeff and Johnny come from the other side,wonder who johnny will come with in Shanghai and Taipei.(jeff had gone to the The Ice shows in Japan)

2nd half opening,it's a story in the club LOL funny and enjoyable~love it!wonder what will SJP do in Shanghai and Taipei show~

in final,everybody just showed one element,and no encore><

some backstage things: (all the organizers love Johnny so most him)
they didn't drink REAL wine in the Sex and City group number,it's just water or coke like drinks...but Yagudin and someone bought beers and chinese wine by themselves,he handed a bottle of beer when leave the stadium. LOL
Johnny said he's not familiar with other cast members at all.and joked Yagudin's fat and look down Chan.really hope Sasha Cohen can come to the Shanghai and Taipei shows,then he can have a friend.
Johnny receive the stick from Rochette's 1st number: (1st day he's nearly topless ~)
http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/690ffbeftw1dja6c13pwcj.jpg
Johnny mistaken the guard of stadium to the police and ask for a cosplay photo: :rofl:
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/690ffbeftw1dj81co9jc8j.jpg
Patrick Chan and Hao Zhang tried pair spins many times,but always failed LOL : :rofl:
http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/large/690ffbefjw1djayv4rwf7j.jpg

They've left for Shanghai.let's wait for more photos and reports :D

LuCN

Rinkside
how many can do what he does, wear what he wears and get applauded for it on top of all?
we don't know the answer cause no other male single skater did this.
But Vladimir Besedin/Oleksiy Plishchuk who weared weird things,funny staff and dirty tricks got response from the audience as Johnny.People see him as "Lady Gaga on Ice",a joker,not a skater,a sportsman.I don't think it's a praise.you can say it's his wish,but I don't think so.If he likes this kind of thing,he won't say those "I'm tired of lady gaga" "I won't skate to lady gaga again" things.

Yes,he got a lot of frame from "Lady Gaga on Ice" promotion,but the lable is like a cage too.his programs beside ladygaga never got that kind of weird ovation and applaud from the common audience.He need ladygaga to attract people.The organizers need "ladygaga on ice" to promoting.if he want to be himself,he need get over that.and make "his" programs,a style by himself,not ladygaga.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan and Hao Zhang tried pair spins many times,but always failed LOL

Tong Jiang also taught Takahashi and Mao some Pairs moves for their Worlds exhibition last year. There was a YT video of Tong doing lifts and spins with Takahashi which has now been taken down by Fuji TV. Lots of fails for the Ladies and Men Worlds Champs. LOL.

I think single skaters who try Pairs moves really gain respect for them. Probably the easiest for the singles to attempt is a throw jump. Many Men have done that with each other. They have also tried simple lifts. Pairs spins seem the hardest. Probably a throw lift is even more difficult but it's too risky and scary to try!

Johnny Weir & Stephane Lambiel Pair Practice

Nice throw

Lysacek and Buttle

Last edited:
Tong Jiang also taught Takahashi and Mao some Pairs moves for their Worlds exhibition last year. There was a YT video of Tong doing lifts and spins with Takahashi which has now been taken down by Fuji TV. Lots of fails for the Ladies and Men Worlds Champs. LOL.

I think single skaters who try Pairs moves really gain respect for them. Probably the easiest for the singles to attempt is a throw jump. Many Men have done that with each other. They have also tried simple lifts. Pairs spins seem the hardest. Probably a throw lift is even more difficult but it's too risky and scary to try!

Johnny Weir & Stephane Lambiel Pair Practice

Nice throw

Lysacek and Buttle

In 1992, Nancy Kerrigan and Paul Wylie did a pair routine in the Olympic exhibition, to a piece from Miss Saigon. Wylie had begun as a pairs skater, and they both had the same coaches, the Scotvolds, so their styles melded well and the effect was lovely despite the fact that they were about the same height. I believe they repeated the program last year for the American skating tribute show. The thing about singles skating pairs, or pairs switching partners, is that there's a nice chemistry set up (when done well), so it's usually a treat to see. Speaking of Lambiel, I love when he skates with Shizuka.

LuCN

Rinkside
Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Johnny tweets that he's now conserving energy for the Shanghai and Taipei shows whereas Joannie tweets that she's now in Japan for The Ice. So Jeff and Joannie are gone and Sasha is supposed to come join the cast.

Tickets for the Shanghai shows are supposed to be much more expensive so I wonder how that will affect the attendance.

LuCN

Rinkside
great pics from Beijing shows:
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_3f4fdda40102dqp1.html

Sasha Cohen and Arakawa have already arrived in Shanghai,and attend the rehearsal these days!
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/large/4889eb71jw1djdbyzbroij.jpg

ArOI hold a press conference today,some pics from that:
Sasha,Shizuka,and Zijun li
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/4889eb71jw1djddno9up9j.jpg
SZ
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6c2f7c63jw1djden2ro90j.jpg

for SkateFiguring
Patrick on his new EX moondance with a mop:(he also showed some chinese words,and according to one of the workers for the show,he comes with a teacher on chinese.)
http://news.sports.cn/figureskating/...1/2152629.html
(rough translate)"the story is,I stand on an old boat,dancing with my girlfriend while clean the floor.then my brain is stuffed with the girls imagine,like I've experienced before~"
It's a little comfusione ,maybe he meant he's moping,and imagine dancing with his girlfriend like before. (hope we can see the original English answer...)

Tickets for the Shanghai shows are supposed to be much more expensive so I wonder how that will affect the attendance.
Don't worry,as I said before this kind of shows here never depand on the gate receipts,but on the sponsers.most audience take complimentary tickets or bought the scalped tickets in a very low price. ;)

there is a interview of Johnny from the ArOI press conference,I think many people will intersted in it~so rough translate for the main part:
Lady Gaga on Ice declaim against ISU:they make figure skating losing its beauty
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2011-07-21/19295669208.shtml
……
Weir haven't compete for two years,he said,"In this two years,I write a book,attend fashion shows,take photoshot for magazines,very very busy.I know there are many rising stars these days,for example Patrick Chan,it's a good thing."but after said that,he twitst to another thread,"But,because ot ISU's new mark system,today's competition can't see the real figure skating.Now watching a match like look a ancient curio,all the skaters just know to add difficulty,get high marks,but ignore its beauty."

about whether he'll comeback,and when he'll be back,Weir said,"If ond day,figure skating mark in the way I like,I may consider (coming back).Although I'm a little old,but I'll be just 30 when 2014 Sochi Olympics.My single jump is pretty good,and I'm very beautiful,and I have a lot of competions experience,if I don't attend Sochi Olympics,it's a pity." but,even if he really come back,"I will not fight like a dog as Plushenko,(he) only want the Gold medal.For me,the 1st place or the 20th place is equal,the most important thing is enjoy the competition."Weir said.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
LuCN, your links re Patrick don't work but I found the report which also says he cracked himself up explaining his program. :)

He also opened the interview with greetings in Mandarin Chinese, receiving warm applause and praises for his accurate pronunciation. However, I don't think he travels with a teacher. It's costly enough to have his parents accompany him. According to this other news, his language demonstration was taught by the host of the press conference. (He does speak Cantonese as his parents are immigrants from HK.)

“我下一步的目标是保持健康,避免伤病。我希望能够再次夺得世界冠军,以更高的分数、更好的表现再次征服裁判。”

"My next goal is to stay healthy and avoid injuries and illness. I hope to win the next World Championships, with higher scores, and better performances to "conquer' (win over) the judges."

I still can't get over this sequence in his Moondance, from about 2.20 to 2.42, with all the non stop choreo into the first jump and then the crazy setup for the immediate next! :jaw: I'm speculating that we may see something similar in his new LP as Lori choreographed some elements into the exhibition peice as practice over the summer.

I'm searching for Zhang/Zhang's video, a reportedly very impressive program. Evidently they made good use of Hao's recovery time from his shattered finger.

eta: Artistry on Ice 2011.Johnny Weir interview from China. Johnny Weir, Lady Gaga On Ice, is featured on Chinese TV.

Last edited: