The greatest free skates in ladies' figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The greatest free skates in ladies' figure skating

Vash01

Medalist
Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plus Kwan improved a lot after 1998. The Kwan at 2001 Worlds would have creamed the Kwan in 1998. Like others have suggested, Kwan skated many programs over the years that were heads and shoulders above anything Lipinski ever did. But I did think the result in Nagano were correct; Lipinski skated better than she ever had, and Kwan was very solid but conservative.

The Kwan at 2001 Worlds would not have creamed the Kwan from Nationals 1998. In fact the Kwan from Nationals 1998 would probably still have won based on a higher 2nd mark.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Kwan at 2001 Worlds would not have creamed the Kwan from Nationals 1998. In fact the Kwan from Nationals 1998 would probably still have won based on a higher 2nd mark.

Also, wasn't Michelle in 3rd in the short in 2001? Michelle was stellar in 1998 and 2001. Neither would have "creamed" the other.

krenseby

Final Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuBE3PrNsxQ&feature=feedrec_grec_index

Miki Ando 2010 Worlds FS!

She failed to medal at the Olympics but she does this amazing and inspired performance! I was here in Torino to watch this! She was surely robbed of a medal! She should have had a silver or a bronze medal in this event.

You know, christinaskater, figure skating baffles me at times. And there is no better example for the craziness of it all than Miki Ando. The performance of her 2010 Worlds LP is on a whole different plane than what she was able to accomplish with her 2011 LP. And yes it is the latter that got her a medal and not the former. Now I know, the field in 2010 was totally different and it' s not fair to compare with 2011. Likewise, at 2010 Worlds Miki Ando bombed her SP. But still, I kinda wish Miki medaled in 2010 because the LP was that good.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan

ITA. Miki, except when competing as the country's top representative (e.g. 2010 GPF), doesn't seem to get much love from the judges. Take for example the GoE received for her jumps in the past two seasons. The quality was the same IMO, but GoEs were not as generous in 2010 as 2011. I don't think the presentation side of her skating was as inferior in 2010 as the PCS make you believe. Thanks christinaskater for reminding me of her wonderful 2010 LP!

Back to the topic:

Midori 1990 Worlds

Lu Chen 1994 NHK (her skating was beter in 1996 Rachmaninoff but the choreography and the perfection mesmorised me)

Michelle 1997 Worlds (especially in the context where she was coming from that season)
Michelle 1998 Nationals
Shizuka 2004 Worlds (nothing flashy, pure and refined atheletic beauty! and the smile after the 2nd lutz and her emotion at the end!!)

Yu-na 2007 Worlds (I was there at Staples Center. Her speed and jumps rocked the house!)
Mao 2008 Worlds (yes despite the fall)
Mao 2011 Four Continents (one of the few performances I can watch again and again and again.)

Last edited:
Mao is exquisite at 4CC! Thanks for the link.

I'm always so impressed by her tenacity. She pushes to improve and doesn't give up. And she's so musical and graceful. I just want her to go on forever!