2023 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Skate

discodisco

On the Ice
Literally went "pffft" at that score, sorry.
I am no K&F fan, but the programs are worlds apart. The pairs elements were so far superior. The throws were about as good as they get, their lifts were dynamite, ice coverage was excellent, spin and death spiral were top notch. They deserved every positive GOE they got.

Liked the Italian sp more than fs - their step sequence was awesome. But the speed and ice coverage of the Americans, along with superior pairs elements, is what put them ahead.

slider11

Medalist
It's the right podium but I think the tech scores for Riku and Ryuichi were a bit high. Brandon was penalized much heavier for a fall in the short compared to the fall with R/R's throw and the double sal. But R/R are joyful skaters and deserve a win in their home country.

WAC172

Rinkside
I think Alexa and Brandon's skate was more moving than M/K and better skated, but overall the result was right. M/K's short was leagues better and it felt like Alexa/Brandon were propped up more in the short. The top two teams were both propped up in the free.

For me, Alexa/Brandon's skating skills and program composition are the best in the field. They really skated the rest of the program after the mistakes with a ton of conviction. Please don't retire!!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some general comments. Good solid skating. Not awesome. technically while the Japanase had ana amazing sequence these teams are really good but not great. THey just don't have the amplitude or wow of Sui and Han and th eRussians. Still great but not awe inspiring. I was happy for the podium but sad for Deanna. I hope she comes back and beats the Italians. To be honest the top two teams are the best of the "rest" Clearly. Everyone had errors. But I hope the Canadians get a bronze next year though I would watch the second American team they were solid. Big surprise Lia and Trennt. I think they have been barely together six months. Trennt's former partner must be in shock but granted that is missing 4 teams that would probably be ahead of them. But then again it is who shows up that cares.

VickB

On the Ice
Interesting both Canadian teams are 4th... one 4th overall and the other 4th in free program....

The judging and placements are pretty good ... one thing maybe wrong is technical mark between the 2 teams for American and Canadian ... American got highest mark and Canadian got the lowest... And technical they were basically the same...

But I do agree the Canadian team is 4th overall...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As they present the medals I am happy for the medallists. but I really feel sorry for the Canadians. I think it would have been a nice story had they won bronze. I fear for Canada I want to be positive but I think and worry that Madi won't be top ten, that Keegan won't win a medal that Piper and Paul won't win gold and that the Danadians will miss the podium. I think Japan will win 3 out of 4 events. Sorr Dai has no business being in the top 5 short of a pandemic outbreak. I am happy Italy has two spots for their decent though not inspiritig teams. The US team must be thrilled they still have three spots. Actually Canada is quite impressive as they have a whole new team here (all three pairs). History is made - not perfect skates but good on all of them! Also liked Australia. Some interesting pairs from Germany.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wished the last six skated slightly better... but it was a great event anyway. I am a bit surprised, even disappointed that there was no reshuffling in the rankings from 2-10th place which could have been expected considering how close the scores were.
I am very happy for some of my favourite pairs but slightly disappointed for Max and Deanna. I think it's no secret that Max is one of my favourite skaters : so it hurts a bit... but then, i can rejoice for Trennt and Lia... so i am okay. M/K won this with their stellar SP and i am glad they did. I would have been disappointed if KF had won it with the skates they had in both the SP and LP... at least MK had one superb skate.

Italians will probably start getting more recognition : they deserve it for their polished style and consistency.

I cannot wait to watch all of these teams live in Montreal next year :)

Last edited: