2023 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Skate | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Pairs Free Skate

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting both Canadian teams are 4th... one 4th overall and the other 4th in free program....

The judging and placements are pretty good ... one thing maybe wrong is technical mark between the 2 teams for American and Canadian ... American got highest mark and Canadian got the lowest... And technical they were basically the same...

But I do agree the Canadian team is 4th overall...
yep, its not on purpose but I sense Canada is going to be on the short end of the stick in a lot of the events if not all. I hope I am wrong as I love Deanna and Max now but Piper and Paul have lost the momentum. Still this freeskate was part of so lid skating in Japan.

WAC172

Rinkside
Some general comments. Good solid skating. Not awesome. technically while the Japanase had ana amazing sequence these teams are really good but not great. THey just don't have the amplitude or wow of Sui and Han and th eRussians. Still great but not awe inspiring. I was happy for the podium but sad for Deanna. I hope she comes back and beats the Italians. To be honest the top two teams are the best of the "rest" Clearly. Everyone had errors. But I hope the Canadians get a bronze next year though I would watch the second American team they were solid. Big surprise Lia and Trennt. I think they have been barely together six months. Trennt's former partner must be in shock but granted that is missing 4 teams that would probably be ahead of them. But then again it is who shows up that cares.
I'm not sure it's amplitude that separates these teams from the ones who aren't here, to me it's more about consistency of the jumps. And when we say the Russians...who do we really mean. Tarasova/Morozov were capable of excellent, superlative skating, but they were not the most consistent team out there either. Boikova/Kozlovskii had some nice routines, but they were kind of fading the last time we saw them on the international scene. M/K I do miss having here, but what I remember most about them is their excellent 3-3 combo (and that they skated to the Russian news theme song). Sui/Han are all-timers, so of course they are missed. So yes, let's give the teams that aren't here their due, but I think we still saw some great skates tonight

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As they present the medals I am happy for the medallists. but I really feel sorry for the Canadians. I think it would have been a nice story had they won bronze. I fear for Canada I want to be positive but I think and worry that Madi won't be top ten, that Keegan won't win a medal that Piper and Paul won't win gold and that the Danadians will miss the podium. I think Japan will win 3 out of 4 events. Sorr Dai has no business being in the top 5 short of a pandemic outbreak. I am happy Italy has two spots for their decent though not inspiritig teams. The US team must be thrilled they still have three spots. Actually Canada is quite impressive as they have a whole new team here (all three pairs). History is made - not perfect skates but good on all of them! Also liked Australia. Some interesting pairs from Germany.
no need to fear for Canada... as you say, they had a brand new team at worlds this year... and they placed 4th, 6th and 11th... very impressive. Madi : i wasn't thinking she would necessarily make top ten... possible but not easy.
Dance is dance... we will see how it turns out. But good news, it will be hard for Canada not to get 3 spots back... so it's a winning situation.

Keegan : it's not about placements for him, it's really about saying goodbye in style.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Didn't France also lose their second spot? They finished 14th and 15th, so their combined points would be 29, which is above the necessary maximum 28 points for two spots. 🙈
Did I see things wrong? I saw 13 and 14... oups..you are correct... so yes...France lost their second spot too... oups... i will correct my post not to confuse anyone... I guess i may have counted before adding the winners... newbie mistake

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wished the last six skated slightly better... but it was a great event anyway. I am a bit surprised, even disappointed that there was no reshuffling in the rankings from 2-10th place which could have been expected considering how close the scores were.
I am very happy for the some of my favourite pairs but slightly disappointed for Max and Deanna. I think it's no secret that Max is one of my favourite skaters : so it hurts a bit... but then, i can rejoice for Trennt and Lia... so i am okay. M/K won this with their stellar SP and i am glad they did. I would have been disappointed if KF had won it with the skates they had in both the SP and LP... at least MK had one superb skate.

Italians will probably start getting more recognition : they deserve it for their polished style and consistency.

I cannot wait to watch all of these teams live in Montreal next year :)
Do you think Deanna and Max will retire after this year? Mind you the lure of Montreal might help. Lia and Trennt have a great future. six mos and no. 6 in the world. Wow! I saw some Meghan Duhamel influence on MK especially the throw triple lutz. I believe though the lutz is worth the same as the flip? Hmmm I think we can tell why pairs tend not to do quads any more like Duhamel and Radford - it just isn't worth it and too risky. An individual lutz is 5.9 pts. Throws are worth over half a point less. What about BRandon and Alexa? I suppose they might want to stay on til the next olympics if the Russians don't come back and China is sort of non existent/developing again. The second Americans look ready to move on to the podium. I expected more from the Germans and Georgians but they too could come along with the Australians who unfortunatley had a rough short. I would have loved to see the Canadians at least get a small medal here but they didn't even do that. I think Deanna and Max really need to get her to be a diva in these performances and they need to push the envelope with tech skill and amplutide on their elements. That's one thing I think is appropriate criticism. Teh amplitude is lacking.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Happy with the results. I think Alexa and Brandon have a lot of potential. I actually like their program the most and they deserve high GOEs. I thought the Japanese team were a bit overscored. She even had a feeling that the last jump might have made them lose gold after they heard the American scores.

The Japanese team won due to the combo. Meagan’s strategic 3T 2T 2A was very smart and made the difference between the two top teams.

Also, I was cheering hard for the Canadians and I’m super proud of them. Deana needs to listen to Meagan… they should have implemented 3S earlier on in the season….
The Italians were fantastic. They were great and deserved the bronze medal. Very exciting competition.

readernick

Medalist
Happy with the results. I think Alexa and Brandon have a lot of potential. I actually like their program the most and they deserve high GOEs. I thought the Japanese team were a bit overscored. She even had a feeling that the last jump might have made them lose gold after they heard the American scores.

The Japanese team won due to the combo. Meagan’s strategic 3T 2T 2A was very smart and made the difference between the two top teams.

Also, I was cheering hard for the Canadians and I’m super proud of them. Deana needs to listen to Meagan… they should have implemented 3S earlier on in the season….
The Italians were fantastic. They were great and deserved the bronze medal. Very exciting competition.
I also like Alexa/ Brandon's programs better. And, I think their pair elements are the best. The Japanese were overscored in the FS. However, even with fair judging they probably deserved the win due to their incredibly well skated SP. Plus their SS are incredible. So, it's fine.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Do you think Deanna and Max will retire after this year? Mind you the lure of Montreal might help. Lia and Trennt have a great future. six mos and no. 6 in the world. Wow! I saw some Meghan Duhamel influence on MK especially the throw triple lutz. I believe though the lutz is worth the same as the flip? Hmmm I think we can tell why pairs tend not to do quads any more like Duhamel and Radford - it just isn't worth it and too risky. An individual lutz is 5.9 pts. Throws are worth over half a point less. What about BRandon and Alexa? I suppose they might want to stay on til the next olympics if the Russians don't come back and China is sort of non existent/developing again. The second Americans look ready to move on to the podium. I expected more from the Germans and Georgians but they too could come along with the Australians who unfortunatley had a rough short. I would have loved to see the Canadians at least get a small medal here but they didn't even do that. I think Deanna and Max really need to get her to be a diva in these performances and they need to push the envelope with tech skill and amplutide on their elements. That's one thing I think is appropriate criticism. Teh amplitude is lacking.
Max and Deanna are hoping to become Olympians.
Yes for throws, lutz and flip are worth the same.
People tend to forget that it's pretty much Max and Deanna's first full/complete season on the circuit... first worlds together. They are working on upgrading their elements... for instance, they added the axel on their series of jumps. (i think they even plan for a 2a). The 3s didn't happen tonight and was costly but they added it for 4cc. Throws are better and better. Twist is AWESOME. Lifts are great. Love it or hate it, their DS is earning them good points... I think they weakest element other than mistakes tonight may have been that pair spin which lacked ease and steam at the end of the program.

VickB

On the Ice
Japan,Canada and USA 3 spots
Italy has now 2.
Germany 2.
Hungary 2.
Australia 2
NED lost a spot... France, were lucky to keep 2. lost their 2nd spot Georgia did lose their second spot as well.. but i don't think they will need it anyway

Italy needs to go 3.. Because they have 3 excellent teams ..🤩

And Canada even has excellent 4th team. 👍

LadyB

Record Breaker
My plans to rise early didn't materialise and I missed it (but I'll defo rewatch it).

Hearty congratlations to Riku and Ryuichi for making history in front of their home crowd. Lovely jubbly! :clap::clap::clap:
Also happy for Sara and Niccolo to be on the podium. Pavlova/Svyatchenko could improve one place, can't wait to see their performance. They've got so much potential, I hope they'll come back next year even stronger. They've earned two spots for Hungary! Maybe Klimov Team can come up with another pairing to put on the Hungarian colours...:wink:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japan,Canada and USA 3 spots
Italy has now 2.
Germany 2.
Hungary 2.
Australia 2
NED lost a spot... France, were lucky to keep 2. lost their 2nd spot Georgia did lose their second spot as well.. but i don't think they will need it anyway
Hopefully Harley Windsor finds a new partner soon.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lia and Trennt had the highest base value of the free. Still trying to wrap my head around him going from missing the Olympics to this. What a difference a year makes.
The scarey part if that is the highest base value while good for them not great for skating. What happened to those quad salchows (throws and individual 3 lutzes and 3salchow 3salchow sequences

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
she will.... she is young and very serious. If Zach Lagha managed to start smiling, anyone can :)

PS Zach : i will miss you so much in the dance event... sigh... they should be here.
but what's this breaking news - Zach Lagha has cracked a smile?????

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canada has 5 good teams now.
Six, I would argue. Although two of them (Proft/Nadeau and Derenisky/Eberl) need to see what they can do on the international scene next season. (Skate Canada assignments pleasepleaseplease!)

So, any guesses as to which former Russian pairs skaters are going to find a home in Hungary or Australia next season?

Last edited: