Men's Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program

Art&Sport

Medalist
I had a thread with Javi's interview in which he said Orser was like his Dad in Canada and that he's a happy person. You should check it out. Very nice things said about Chan too.

Yes, that was a great interview with Javi. Love the "Caviar" nickname, Spun Silver.

apple123

On the Ice
I feel like putting Dai in the first place, clean, expressive program just draw you into it. Javi is wonderful, but his spins are weak spots and his jumps lack height. A little surprised to see him ahead.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Dai's program was beautiful, mature, and expressive. As long as he has good technique on his jumps, and lands them well and delivers a clean program like this, what's with the "height" obsession. MKwan generally did not have great height on her jumps either, but it took nothing away from her consistency and greatness (spins were not Kwan's strong suit either, but she worked on them and made it all work beautifully, as does Dai at his best). Not everyone has the launching power of Midori Ito, btw.

In fs, the thing is you might be strong in one area and weak in another. There is always room for improvement, and that's why the sport is not easy, and the art is always a work-in-progress for most skaters.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh, right, apple123. Up thread someone was complaining that Dai lacked height on his jumps too. I don't think Javi lacks height that much. He's certainly quick at turning the revolutions. Great program from Javi, very confident. Happy for Brian O too!

ETA: Without the quad by Javi, Dai definitely should have been in first. As it is, Dai is practically tied with Javi in the scoring. Chan is too close to them re his skate, but I'll stop beating that to death. And to think I liked Chan at 2009 Worlds. It all began to be too much for me with the Canadian media over-hyping him, and Chan's overconfidence and mouthing off re his competitors, which he thankfully seems to have stopped doing.

Last edited:

LisaS

On the Ice
I used to enjoy Chan when he first came on the scene, but his mouth and superior attitude and the hype surrounding him have been just way too much over the top.

I find it interesting you use to like Chan, and now you don't based on his mouth, superior attitude and hype. So if you never heard his mouth, or superior attitude, or any of the hype, would you still like him? Maybe you should judge his skating, on his skating.

prettykeys

Medalist
Dai's program was beautiful, mature, and expressive.
Oh...yes. :eek: :bow: I wouldn't say I was a "fan" of Daisuke until today when I saw this SP. It is absolutely stunning and it showcases his masterful performance abilities, musicality, attention to detail, and raw skill. This one is going on my all-time list of top SP's by the guys. I had to run to Wikipedia to check who choreographed it.

David Wilson, you have NOT lost your touch! :bow:

And speaking of Wilson... Javier, what was that!? My closely second-favourite performance of the Men's SPs at this comp. I haven't watched such an infectiously fun program in a long time, and to pull it off with a nice quad in the beginning...good for you, sir. And it is very nice to see Orser jumping happily and cheering from the sidelines again.

I feel bad for Patrick for the little slip-up, but I do believe he will do better in the Long. Being nervous on home ice for the first major competition of the season is very understandable.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I used to enjoy Chan when he first came on the scene, but his mouth and superior attitude and the hype surrounding him have been just way too much over the top.

I find it interesting you use to like Chan, and now you don't based on his mouth, superior attitude and hype. So if you never heard his mouth, or superior attitude, or any of the hype, would you still like him? Maybe you should judge his skating, on his skating.

My dislike, as I said, started with the over-hype and with Chan's mouthing off. Then I noticed how he made so many mistakes at 2010 Olympics but was still placed high comparatively. I also began to notice that I didn't see any growth and maturity in his skating. He definitely has always had the blade skills, and a sense of the music, but as some have said he tends to skate over the music and therefore lacks true musicality, even though many fans and admirers tend not to see that subtlety because he is so light and smooth over the ice. I see Chan kinda resting on his laurels in respect to artistry. I do give him cred for listening up at 2010 Olympics, seeing the writing on the wall, and going back to train quads. He put the quad where his mouth was, and that has put him in even better stead with the judges.

Hope you find these thoughts interesting as well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chan should have been able to skate a clean SP even early in the season, since he's recycled the program from last season. He was overscored as usual despite having a bad landing on the quad attempt and doubling the axel.

I would have Fernandez at least 5 points up on Chan, and Takahashi at least a point ahead of Fernandez.

Art&Sport

Medalist
^^ ITA. I also think that b/c Chan's always being given good marks when making mistakes, it feeds into his overconfidence, which really helps him competitively, at least so far. But I don't see the overconfidence affecting Chan adversely as long as he keeps his mouth zipped. Wouldn't all skaters love knowing they'll be given leeway for mistakes and at least a 10 to 15 point spread over the field when they go clean.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh::disapp:

( *sigh*)

The top 3 placements seemed fair to me. I love Javier's program and hope he does as well with his FP ( which could be a real crowd favourite without being gimmicky ) I really like Dai's SP and have a feeling it will grow on me more and more over the season.If anyone can make me not mind revisiting Blues for Klook :rolleye: , it's probably Dai. We'll see..,I guess. I don't much like Patrick's take 5, though there's no doubting the content ... but I quite like his FP from what I've seen of it so far.

I like Adam's Shae-Lynn program..Looking forward to his long.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Fernandez's skating skills and transitions were certainly not in the same league with Chan and Dai. His footwork looked somewhat labored and his edges and flows still had much to be desired, not to speak of his spins that traveled quite a bit. He jumped really well and surely deserved some positive GOEs.

Chan's performance had some positives and negatives. He made a funny face at the moment where the "getting punched" part used to be. And I liked it. And there was a more matured look about him. He looked nervous in some places and I guess that's why it was reflected in his PCS. Still, he held the program together and the jumping errors did not cause too much interruption.

All in all, I think the judging is about right. Maybe I would have placed Dai slightly ahead of Fernandez. But again, they are in virtual tie. No complaint about the judges.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Watching Javier Fernandez was just a joy. How wonderful to see a skater from a non-skating country, who had a long way to go to break into the top ranks of skating, finally get there (and get some PCS love) through hard work and sheer talent. :clap: I hope he does well in the free skate and that he'll be inspiring more Spanish kids to take up skating.

I also liked seeing Orser in the background, going through Javi's choreo along with him. I've seen him do it before, and it's always fun.

Wait, there were other skaters who competed in this event? Well, right now they are of far less interest to me. :biggrin:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Lots of sighing and shaking my head too Colleen, after I watched Chan's skate and saw his marks. Fine, he's in third, but a bit over-marked for what he did and didn't do.

All in all, the judging is always right in figure skating (gag).

aemeraldrainc

Final Flight
Watching Javier Fernandez was just a joy. How wonderful to see a skater from a non-skating country, who had a long way to go to break into the top ranks of skating, finally get there (and get some PCS love) through hard work and sheer talent. :clap: I hope he does well in the free skate and that he'll be inspiring more Spanish kids to take up skating.

I also liked seeing Orser in the background, going through Javi's choreo along with him. I've seen him do it before, and it's always fun.

Wait, there were other skaters who competed in this event? Well, right now they are of far less interest to me. :biggrin:

I'm right there with you! ITA.:rock: :thumbsup::cool:

skatinginbc

Medalist
All in all, the judging is always right in figure skating (gag).
No, judges are not always right. But this time I think they are about right, and it is only my opinion and I am not always right. I am allowed to express my layman's opinion, am I not?

Art&Sport

Medalist
Sorry skatinginbc, no offense meant to you. Not all judges are corrupt, but most do tend to be hampered by the political aspects of the sport, not to mention loyalties to their respective federations. In this case, I think Adam deserved a bit higher marks, and Chan a bit lower (certainly not so close to Javi and Dai). I think Dai's program was the best, but with his quad and his joyful skate, I can see why Javi is in first, and I'm happy for him. Also, Dai and Javi are practically tied, as noted previously. The judging is what it is, and (as you said) not too far off here, aside from the Chan love (IMO).

seniorita

Record Breaker
I rewatched Javi this morning:biggrin:, what Buttercup said, it is so nice that he is from Spain where there is not such tradition and hopefully he will break to the top this season, as a mediterenean I feel I m represented very well.:cool: No need to say how thrilled I am he is Morozov - free. Now Morozov though recycled his last season lp and gave it to Alena as sp. :disapp:

And definetely Chan has done something with his sp, because firstly I skipped it because I knew it from last season but then I rewatched it too and I enjoyed it, I didnt do it last season. Though Kozu's take five is the top for me, anyway he seemed more mature yesterday.
Although the bashers - lovers war here takes pages after pages and it s actually rather boring I guess for the rest.

This is just the SP, so unfortunately, Javi is not standing atop the podium just yet, having beaten all the stars in this comp. He now trains under Brian Orser.

I really will be shocked if tomorrow's story unfolds like today's. I expect Chan will have his feet under him better tomorrow.
This silly Short Program the ISU devised is like an hors d'ouvre. It tells you nothing about the Sport of Figure Skating, but I understand the fans demand for it, but it serves no purpose for a championship. I tolerate it and consider it a separate little competition as one in a Golf Round.

So I don't foresee Fernandez as holding up the entire 4.5 minutes which does show great sportsmanship. He will be excellent for 3 minutes and then peter out, unfortunately.

Chan and Dai have been around a long time now and it would be shameful if they did not place 1st and 2nd. Maybe Rippon will squeak in 3rd, but I would like Javier to get a medal.

Lets hear it for the underdog and watch him surpass the 20ll stars and in the future be a genuine contender for the Olys.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Javier Fernandez: Yeah, that was great, wasn't it? Euros just got very interesting. Love the joy he demonstrates, the lovely 3A, and Orser's palpable enthusiasm.

2. Daisuke Takahashi: Too bad about the levels (that's why he's in second and not first) but what a gorgeous skater he is. Lovely choreography (particularly around the lutz) and a real sense of attack (love the speed). Happy surprise to see he still feels the fire.

3. Patrick Chan: Some choreographic/interpretation improvement, but "Take Five" is so last year. Still, that footwork is legendary and choreography is insane. Fine with third, think he should be a couple points lower.

4. Adam Rippon: You know, for all the kvteching, three of the top four skaters truly look revitalized, which is something to see. Don't think all that much about this program - it takes too long to build, but the abandon is indeed glorious.

Good for Ten and Rogozine. Didn't see Miner, but like Chan, Miner should have been able to skate a clean SP even early in the season, since he's recycled the program from last season.