Patrick Chan | Page 177 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks, skatingfan4ever and StSq4 for your articles and websites!

m0001, what a great interview with Kathy Johnson (with Patrick's voice at the end, too)! Many thanks to The Blade Boys!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the compliments about my blog post (and anyone who compliments me in a later post, thank you too).

I came here now to post Kathy's interview with The Blade Boys, but I see that m0001 has done that already. There are still no replies to the thread in The Edge and maybe that's a good thing. :laugh:

It's hard to summarize the interview because Kathy rambles like Patrick! Here are my takeaways/highlights:

-She says their coach-skater relationship involves a lot of back and forth and she “gently coerces him over to her side.” They argue about stuff and they negotiate and she “plants seeds.” That’s how he came around to two 3As in the LP again.

-She talks about why the Axel got difficult (Patrick got confused by trying to apply everyone’s feedback). She says jumping is “pattern and timing.” They work on basic things that apply to all movement, like balance and transferring weight and setting up right, and having that down has helped his Axel.

-She thinks Patrick either needs to add another 3A or a 4S in his LP, but not both, because he does so much else in his programs.

-At the end of the day, the music is always Patrick’s choice.

-She brings a positive spirit to things for Patrick.

-She doesn’t read anything online (thank goodness!) and the negative comments don’t bother her because the skaters and the federations don’t feel that way.

-Patrick’s voice makes it into the video. He says, “Sorry to interrupt. There’s a meeting” and then shares what he knew at that point.

Also, The Blade Boys were very complimentary when they posted the thread!

It's not very often that the fabulous Kathy Johnson gives media interviews, but The Blade Boys were able to catch up with her at Trophée Eric Bompard last weekend! We were able to get some insights into Patrick's skating, return to competition, new programs/elements, and her coaching style. Love the way she also addresses the online criticism! We always say the haters gon' hate, but the skaters gon' skate... you keep doing your thing, Miss Kathy! ;)

She was incredibly sweet and we really appreciate her giving us this interview. :)

(This happened literally right before the announcement of TEB's cancellation, so we had to cut it off abruptly. But hopefully you enjoy up until then! :biggrin:)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks for summarizing, Skatingfan4ever.

Darn! Just went to re-watch the video interview with Kathy Johnson, and they cut out the part at the end with Patrick's voice! I wonder why they did that?

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for summarizing, Skatingfan4ever.

Darn! Just went to re-watch the video interview with Kathy Johnson, and they cut out the part at the end with Patrick's voice! I wonder why they did that?
You're welcome. As to why they cut it, I have no idea. It kind of makes sense, since technically that wasn't part of the interview. Still, I'm surprised that they posted it with that in and then went back and edited it out, as opposed to editing it out before they posted it. It was a fun surprise to hear Patrick's voice, while it lasted.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
It was a fun surprise to hear Patrick's voice, while it lasted.

Yes, it was nice to hear him talking in a non-interview context. It was just an announcement, but he was so polite, too!

If I recall , he said something like, "Sorry to interrupt, but they're cancelling practice. There's a meeting for all skaters, and that includes coaches, too. I think it's for everyone."

Actually, I wish they had left that part in, because it was a firsthand account of a historic moment in figure skating history, when TEB was cancelled for the first time.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
after CoR, since Adam didn't win it... he will rank behind Chan if the ISU counts SP from TEB as points for the event.... JB withdrew from NHK. So, it looks like Patrick will qualify for GPF.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
CBC News: Patrick Chan should qualify for figure skating's Grand Prix Final

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/w...han-should-qualify-grand-prix-final-1.3331109

Hey, I announced it before they did. GS decided to erase the evidence by deleting the thread. :angry2:

Patrick should be the 6th placed Man with 22 points by the special GPF 2015 qualification. He is currently third with three possible GPF entries from NHK with 13 points each. If each of them medals, they will earn 28, 26, and 24 points and place ahead of Patrick. In the unlikely event of Hochstein winning NHK, one of the 13 pointers will have 22 points but Patrick will win the tie breaker in all cases of 22 pointers, by virtue of his SC gold medal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
pshhh i announced it when i found out JB was out of nhk… way before that thread :) evidence up there :)
Hey, I announced it before they did. GS decided to erase the evidence by deleting the thread. :angry2:

Patrick should be the 6th placed Man with 22 points by the special GPF 2015 qualification. He is currently third with three possible GPF entries from NHK with 13 points each. If each of them medals, they will earn 28, 26, and 24 points and place ahead of Patrick. In the unlikely event of Hochstein winning NHK, one of the 13 pointers will have 22 points but Patrick will win the tie breaker in all cases of 22 pointers, by virtue of his SC gold medal.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
pshhh i announced it when i found out JB was out of nhk… way before that thread :) evidence up there :)

Waaaaa............

OK, we are not going back to search for even earlier evidences but let's agree that we all knew Patrick would be in.

Where is the High 5 emoticon?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
anyone know where I can find video of this program?
I know it's "Stars on ice in Canada" but I find nothing

https://pp.vk.me/c622725/v622725046/2c761/Yvw3XMPz0DM.jpg

It was a very long program that received mixed reviews as many didn't get the story. Patrick and Scott had a fight. Then there was a very exciting segment with the two of them speed skating through other skaters over the whole rink, with close misses with each other. The program ended with peace and harmony in the originally selfish and quarrelsome community.

Oh, the video? I haven't seen any yet. Maybe it will be found and linked here.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It was a very long program that received mixed reviews as many didn't get the story. Patrick and Scott had a fight. Then there was a very exciting segment with the two of them speed skating through other skaters over the whole rink, with close misses with each other. The program ended with peace and harmony in the originally selfish and quarrelsome community.

Oh, the video? I haven't seen any yet. Maybe it will be found and linked here.

It received a lot of mixed reviews but it was something Kurt Browning said he had always wanted to do and I enjoyed it a lot, I watched it live and the Scott + Patrick fight had all the people around me howling with laughter. Some parts could have been condensed but I thought it was a coherent program with the right amount of drama, humour and everything else. Total I think it was around 20 minutes long so it would be hard to find a full video of it, I filmed some parts of the night but I was too busy enjoying myself to film, on youtube they get taken down for copyright so I'm not sure if there's any out there