Patrick Chan | Page 176 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't know. I just checked his Twitter hoping for some sort of "I got home safely" tweet, but no luck. Patrick really does not tweet very often and most of his tweets have to do with his sponsors and/or causes that he supports. I wonder why he doesn't tweet more often (which I guess is a good thing because it's less likely that his tweets can get misinterpreted). Of course, I'm not one to talk because my last tweet was in April of this year.

Patrick is not a tweetaholic because he is living a life. Not saying there aren't tweetaholic skaters who are really enjoyable and entertaining. Tweeter is one of the PR tools a celebrity can use to keep the connection to their fans. Pchiddy is not really so much a man of words, you know? ;) I'm sure there are just other things he would rather be spending his time on.

You would probably be the best interviewer that Patrick has ever had. Being so curious about the workings of his mind, you would figure out how to ask the right questions and you would let him talk freely. It would be a very positive interview. And regardless of who writes Patrick's biography, I am SO buying it, ESPECIALLY if Patrick and VB deliver it together. ;)

I haven't watched TV for years now though I follow a few favorite programs online. I remember how frustrated and incredulous I sometimes felt when an interviewer cut off the guest to ask the next question on their list just when the interviewee was opening up and getting interesting. Most interesting and enlightening questions and answers are usually not expected and planned and they are like gold mines to hit upon. But most journalists are only concerned with "doing their job" going by the fixed agenda. I believe the best thing an interviewer can do is to encourage the interviewee to open up and talk so we can all listen.

I don't know if I would do any better but I know I very often interview people without their knowing about it. :) People's words often reveal their subconscious thoughts and beliefs without realizing it. There were times I wish someone else would listen to me to dig out some of these thoughts the way I do others, because it does hit me sometimes the hidden meaning of my own words that I wish to have known earlier. It's important to really understand oneself, I believe.

Through personal questioning of some very successful people and through reading about many others, I have uncovered two traits they all have in common:

1. The very successful people trust their well honed intuition, at least in their areas of excellence;

and

2. Nobody is perfect.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
According to this article, Patrick should be home now. Good article with Patrick's photo at the top.

Slipchuk said the skaters first learned of the attacks through text messages from concerned loved ones back home. They went to the rink as planned Saturday morning, and the women’s, dance and men’s practices were held before the Bordeaux government cancelled the rest of the event.

The Canadian skaters held a team dinner Saturday night before flying home Sunday.

And another article about the TEB cancellation.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't know. I just checked his Twitter hoping for some sort of "I got home safely" tweet, but no luck. Patrick really does not tweet very often and most of his tweets have to do with his sponsors and/or causes that he supports. I wonder why he doesn't tweet more often (which I guess is a good thing because it's less likely that his tweets can get misinterpreted). Of course, I'm not one to talk because my last tweet was in April of this year. :slink:

You would probably be the best interviewer that Patrick has ever had. Being so curious about the workings of his mind, you would figure out how to ask the right questions and you would let him talk freely. It would be a very positive interview. And regardless of who writes Patrick's biography, I am SO buying it, ESPECIALLY if Patrick and VB deliver it together. ;)

I think that if Patrick were to deliver his book to my house with VB, they may have to stay for dinner, and then... 4ever ;) ... i am 4everchan after all... LOL

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I got my wish of NBC showing Patrick’s SP. It’s such a shame that it was under these circumstances. They showed most of the Ladies SP and Mens SP, plus V/T from pairs and H&D from dance. Johnny and Tara were lukewarm about Patrick's SP. (Unfortunately, I could not find a video online with the NBC commentary). Johnny said that Patrick is “a deep-knee skater” and that in this SP he “doesn't find the time to ease into the ice,” which makes him comfortable for the jumps. Johnny complimented Patrick for being very committed to any piece of music that he chooses. Johnny appreciates that he tries to dance his way through Mack the Knife, but he thinks the music is not conducive to completing jumps strongly because Patrick is so rushed and “not in a nice frame of skate” for difficult jumps (i.e. 4T and 3A). Johnny also thinks the program is unorganized, even for Patrick,

Maybe this program needs further adjustments. I guess we will see in the next competition, hopefully the GPF.

and he does not like the costume at all, although Tara loves the sweater.

I don't have the same taste for costumes as Johnny but this season, Patrick's non-costumes are a contrast with his beautifully designed ones with haute couture touches from the last Olympic quadrennial. I miss Tuly's work for Patrick.

At the end of the broadcast, they showed an interview Patrick did with Tracy Wilson. Patrick said that he missed the quad because he had a little moment of hesitation going into it. Tracy asked him how he was able to continue so well knowing he had just lost 15 points, and his response warmed my heart as his fan: “When you make a mistake, you get the cobwebs out. Before the program, you worry about making a mistake, so once you make it, you're like, ‘Oh well, just enjoy it now, what else are you going to do?’” He said that’s what he did going into the other jumps, and it’s what he didn’t do in the SP at SC but he was able to do it at TEB. He said the energy of competition is “scary and also exciting, right on the edge of both.” LOVE HIS HONESTY. There is such a maturity in his outlook now. He was nowhere near this “Oh well; enjoy the rest of the program” attitude when he made his mistakes in Sochi. :thumbsup:

Love his new attitude. :agree: That's one way to stay in the moment. It's dwelling on the first mistake that ruins so many programs by some of the best skaters. Patrick is really building his mental strength, learning from every experience. :2thumbs:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
According to this article, Patrick should be home now. Good article with Patrick's photo at the top.

And another article about the TEB cancellation.
That is wonderful news indeed! :) Thanks for bringing it here, vivley.

Patrick is not a tweetaholic because he is living a life. Not saying there aren't tweetaholic skaters who are really enjoyable and entertaining. Tweeter is one of the PR tools a celebrity can use to keep the connection to their fans. Pchiddy is not really so much a man of words, you know? ;) I'm sure there are just other things he would rather be spending his time on.
:agree: Patrick does seem to be more a man of action than words. And when he does speak, he tends to ramble somewhat. (I do too, when I'm passionate about something, as you can no doubt tell from my posts in this thread:laugh:). It's kind of difficult for me to get things down to 140 characters, so most of the time I don't bother anymore.

Through personal questioning of some very successful people and through reading about many others, I have uncovered two traits they all have in common:

1. The very successful people trust their well honed intuition, at least in their areas of excellence;

and

2. Nobody is perfect.
Thanks for sharing these two nuggets about what successful people have in common. :thumbsup:

StSq4

Rinkside

Patrick has left Novotel sunday morning at 8 a.m. There was a lot of tension in the air saturday morning, but in the evening all team Canada looked more relaxed and try to have some fun moments at dinner. We tried to do the same.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick has left Novotel sunday morning at 8 a.m. There was a lot of tension in the air saturday morning, but in the evening all team Canada looked more relaxed and try to have some fun moments at dinner. We tried to do the same.

Did you observe this personally? Who were "we" who tried to do the same? Tell more please.

StSq4

Rinkside
Did you observe this personally? Who were "we" who tried to do the same? Tell more please.

I was in the same restaurant (but different table :laugh:)
My friends and I, as all the skaters of course, tried to find a way to go on and do not think all the time to what happened in Paris. It's been quite hard to deal with our mixed feeling... :palmf:

Kuan

Final Flight
Yeah, they were all disappointed.:sad21: Me and my friend were in Novotel too. I whished him good luck for his FS when he was coming back from practice saturday morning. Then he must have already known that the event was cencelled, but he just said thank you and went to his room (after I took a photo with him of course). Maybe he did not want to be the person to ruin our mood. Then the first came back from the arena and told us about the news. My friend and I were sitting outside and discussed how we should go home, when team canada appeared behind us. They built a circle with chairs and Mike S. and a lady from Team Canada, who I did not regocnize discussed with them, how things should go on. The mood was certainly very down.

They all seemed to be very nice. Marvin and Patrick especialy are very friendly and always smiled back.

Again, sorry for my bad english. :bed: I just wanted to give you a short recap of my experience at TEB.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Wow, thank you, StSq4 and Kuan for sharing your in-person news and experiences from TEB! :agree:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just finished a blog post that was inspired by what Patrick overcame at SC. I focused on the importance of "emptying your trash can," an image I got from Kathy Johnson via Patrick's interview with PJ Kwong. I shared Patrick's experience at SC as an example of what can happen when you release negativity and clear your mind. At the end of the post, I even mentioned our Fan Fest and included a quote by VB. Enjoy reliving SC yet again! :biggrin:

Empty Your Trash Can

StSq4

Rinkside
I just finished a blog post that was inspired by what Patrick overcame at SC. I focused on the importance of "emptying your trash can," an image I got from Kathy Johnson via Patrick's interview with PJ Kwong. I shared Patrick's experience at SC as an example of what can happen when you release negativity and clear your mind. At the end of the post, I even mentioned our Fan Fest and included a quote by VB. Enjoy reliving SC yet again! :biggrin:

Empty Your Trash Can

Dear skatingfan4ever, can I share your blog post in a Patrick's facebook group? :)

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dear skatingfan4ever, can I share your blog post in a Patrick's facebook group? :)
Certainly! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :) Maybe I could join the Facebook group? Is it a group created by the fans? I assume Patrick himself doesn't post in it.

m0001

On the Ice

Empty Your Trash Can

Thanks so much skatingfan4ever! Really enjoyed reading it! I find the words "emptying your trash can" from Patrick, and summerized by you, very philosophical, and can be applied in our daily life. I'm glad we have great poets and now a great philosopher too in this thread!