Patrick Chan | Page 232 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
For the past two weeks, his gluteus maximus muscles – the powerful butt muscles that move the hips in any direction – have felt uncomfortable, from all the work he’s done to hone his triple Axel technique."

Now we know... the secret to doing great 3As is... strong butt muscles!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
From twitter: https://twitter.com/SkatingChina/status/702857061814566912

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaRGkWuno9Y
I do not hear Patrick, the music is very high. Does anyone know what he says?

I guess happy new year but in English, Chinese ...?

I would like to hear him speak in French.

Apparently, Patrick spoke in his Chinese when asked. He said Happy New Year in Cantonese instead of being coached in Mandarin. However, they translated Patrick Chan for his Chinese name, including having his family name last. I've never seen such a name for him. He has always been Patrick Chan or 陈伟群, not 派翠陈.

Was this made At 4CC? Good to see Kevin included. Why was Zhang Hao there?

eta. I see Skating Canada has responded to vivley.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Apparently, Patrick spoke in his Chinese when asked. He said Happy New Year in Cantonese instead of being coached in Mandarin. However, they translated Patrick Chan for his Chinese name, including having his family name last. I've never seen such a name for him. He has always been Patrick Chan or 陈伟群, not 派翠陈.

Was this made At 4CC? Good to see Kevin included. Why was Zhang Hao there?

eta. I see Skating Canada has responded to vivley.

See Skating China's first response to me here.

I think they just transliterated Patrick's English name into Chinese (edited - I see you noticed the same thing). 派翠 is a transliteration of "Patrick" and not really a nickname. I responded that I thought his nickname was 群群 (the last character of his name doubled), just like Jin Boyang's is 天天 (as you saw on the yellow banner in the audience at 4CC). Their response here. Scroll down to see the rest.

Last edited:

m0001

On the Ice
Michael Christian Martinez posted this photo of him with Patrick at the 4CC banquet:

https://twitter.com/MichaelOlympian/status/702612023389999104

The same photo on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCL0o0ot6I7/

In case you didn't read this article "Canada's Patrick Chan befriends young Filipino figure skater"
"It felt really great," Martinez said, with a big grin. "I feel like a champion because I'm skating with Patrick Chan, and I feel like a world champion also. . . the way he skated, the way his edges are, I was trying to copy him but I couldn't.
"He gave me some knowledge because before I was just watching him on YouTube. Now I can see how he really does bend his knees (etc.). . ."
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/canada-s-patrick-chan-befriends-young-filipino-figure-skater-1.1684732

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Calica, Patrick has given a number of interviews in French... and I know I posted one a few pages ago... by few... I mean... probably 30-50? haha
His French is excellent and what I find strange is that it gets better and better every year, but it's not like he has much exposure to it, unless he did speak French with Elladj when they were both training in Detroit. Patrick was in French immersion in Toronto and born in Ottawa (which is technically bilingual) when in school, where he learned the basics. But from my own experience, his French surpasses French Immersion level by far, and is close to be of a working level proficiency.

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
In case you didn't read this article "Canada's Patrick Chan befriends young Filipino figure skater"
"It felt really great," Martinez said, with a big grin. "I feel like a champion because I'm skating with Patrick Chan, and I feel like a world champion also. . . the way he skated, the way his edges are, I was trying to copy him but I couldn't.
"He gave me some knowledge because before I was just watching him on YouTube. Now I can see how he really does bend his knees (etc.). . ."
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/canada-s-patrick-chan-befriends-young-filipino-figure-skater-1.1684732

Thanks for sharing, m0001! I didn't see this before.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
looks like my former hometown indeed ;) and the YOU was for me only... HAHHAHAHA just kidding ;) :laugh2:

It was so nice to login to Twitter and see his message come up first on the screen... and the "YOU" made me feel like he was talking to me personally, as well. I also loved that he used the word "reflection" - he must have thought of a lot of good things to skate so well.

I guess he was in Vancouver because someone on Twitter mentioned that their dad saw Patrick go into a fancy gym.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It was so nice to login to Twitter and see his message come up first on the screen... and the "YOU" made me feel like he was talking to me personally, as well. I also loved that he used the word "reflection" - he must have thought of a lot of good things to skate so well.

I guess he was in Vancouver because someone on Twitter mentioned that their dad saw Patrick go into a fancy gym.

well it looks like he is on a BC ferry : i am not 100 percent sure of where he is headed with that mountain view though... considering he was coming from taipei, it makes sense he would lay over in BC and of course, he has been to Vancouver quite often giving skating masterclasses and what not ;) unfortunately, I have never seen him in person... I saw Emmanuel and talked to him in a bar once LOL and saw Jeremy Ten as well... friends saw Jeff Buttle on the streets (I was very jealous) but I am still waiting for the day where my Patrick Chan (just noticed how his initials are the same as Prince Charming!!!!!) will come!

I am glad he answered your tweet... you deserve it... and I am sure he meant more YOU than ME :) since you have been doing a lot more cheering than I have... I just laid there in awe. :)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Aw, that's very sweet of you, 4everchan. I am but one of many fans who sent him support on Twitter.

Crazy idea - Perhaps our best chance of seeing him outside of an arena would be to take a trip to Bloomfield Hills and watch him practice at the DSC (might be fun for a group of fans to go together). Since it's a town of only 4,000 people, if we hang around the gyms or pets stores, or better yet, this place, we just might spot him. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm hoping to go to nationals in Ottawa maybe. Depends where life will take me. I already know I have a few Mack the knife shows in January and February 2017. It may conflict with nationals.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
From OniBan's reports from the 4CC live attendance:

I have to admit - when Patrick takes off his jacket/ vest before getting the ice, I had to fight off a sudden onslaught of giddy giggles. I mean - physique-wise - that guy is fine. Super fine. It's very hard for a girl to NOT notice that XDD

Patrick Chan - let's just say I am possibly a CHANged person now. I mean, yes, I get it now. If I was not already convinced during his SP, I totally am now. It is like he is on a whole different level - moments simultaneously hang in the air and yet goes by so fast that you wish it could go one forever. He makes you SEE the silent moments in the music, appreciate the soft glide of blade over ice as he goes around in smooth, graceful arcs, gentle tinkling of the piano keys hanging around your senses. I don't even care about the jumps at this point. Just skate like that forever!
When his skate ended, my brother (whom I had mentioned before was dragged here against his will and had never known anything about skating ever beyond watching Blades of Glory =_=), turned to me and said: 'This guy is an artist'.
His win is totally deserved here, I think.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Thanks, VB! And to think, OniBan and the entire lucky Taipei audience got to see this for free!

Just as well, because such artistry is priceless! :thumbsup:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Some more tidbits from 4CC Taipei. Another blogger's recap :

Languishing down in fifth after that segment, he seemed unworried, and as it turned out, with good reason. The free skate that he laid down was nothing short of enthralling, and he wove his technical strengths together with his silky-smooth skating skills to break the 200-point barrier and take victory by little over a point.

A real-time visualization of hot words in Japan last Sunday. "Patrick Chan Great! Chopin" was the hottest one.

https://tword.net/j2OT5Shw

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I'm hoping to go to nationals in Ottawa maybe. Depends where life will take me. I already know I have a few Mack the knife shows in January and February 2017. It may conflict with nationals.
4everchan, I'd love to hear more about your Mack The Knife show. I recall earlier posts in which you described researching MTK. Was this inspired by Patrick?

I too am seriously thinking about going to Cdn Nats 2017 however it's hard to commit to something that's more than ten months away!

Crazy idea - Perhaps our best chance of seeing him outside of an arena would be to take a trip to Bloomfield Hills and watch him practice at the DSC (might be fun for a group of fans to go together). Since it's a town of only 4,000 people, if we hang around the gyms or pets stores, or better yet, this place, we just might spot him. :)

That would be both fun and crazy at the same time! A group of fans lurking around trying to catch glimpses of Patrick! If I can't go I demand that someone documents every second of it so everybody else can enjoy it vicariously! I'd even pay to see that! :laugh2:

eta: A reminder to everybody that cbc will be broadcasting the men's 4cc competition tomorrow afternoon. (Feb 27th). I can hardly wait to see Patrick's brilliant performance on a big screen tv in HD. I still have Patrick's Skate Canada fs and National's sp pvr'd and I re-watch it often. There really is a difference than watching it on youtube!

Last edited: