Patrick Chan | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

periperi

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing, SF! Have a thing for guys in suits and the look is definitely flattering on him. He belies his 21 years in those photos, and I mean that in a good way. :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There will be a livestream of King Patrick's address tomorrow at Winnipeg Free Press:

The Winnipeg Free Press News Café is going to be hopping on Wednesday.

Andy Maize and Josh Finlayson, the lead singer and lead guitarist respectively of roots rockers The Skydiggers, will kick things off with an interview and a couple of tunes at 10:30 a.m.

Rick Hillier, formerly Canada’s top soldier, will march in at 2:30 p.m. to discuss the state of Canada’s military and his work with Junior Achievement.

And Patrick Chan, the two-time defending world champion figure skater will drop by at 3:45 p.m. to discuss, you know, being the king of the world.

All three interviews will be livestreamed below.

:biggrin:

And here's a news video of Patrick's in Halifax where he's fundraising:

http://www.globalmaritimes.com/vide...an+in+halifax/video.html?v=2238131614#stories

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
He sounds motivated, confident, and taking charge for himself. He is grown up and new. All very different from the last Olympics and all good.

eta: This article just confirmed my impression of his tremendous progress in mental strength and preparedness since Vancouver 2010. He is so much in control when dealing with the media now.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/99237-chan-prepared-for-sochi

Audio interview on Radio Canada:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vi...FH/LereveilNouvelleEcosseetTN201205230753.asx

etaa: He is so tanned from his tropical vacation. :)

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Am so excited about all these changes.

Sad about Lori because she has been wonderful for him. I think he has taken to heart criticisms of him as a COP robot and wants to explore the other side now.

I hope he turns Elegy into a long program and has JB as a choreographer at least for 1 of his programs.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, SGrand and SF! So one thing that we are certain now - his new choreographer/choreographers is/are in Toronto.:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, SGrand and SF! So one thing that we are certain now - his new choreographer/choreographers is/are in Toronto.:)

No Morozov! :yay: :laugh:

Elegie is not a COP competitive program. I hope he gets a choreographer well versed in COP and his skills but I suspect Patrick will have more input than before.

He needs a coach with the right chemistry to keep him mentally strong besides having a keen eye on nuances of his techniques. At his level, it's not so much about teaching as about guiding and inspiring, leading him to insights for improvements and refinements. And of course to prevent and nip wrong/bad techniques from creeping in.

emdee

Final Flight
Elegy may not be COP in current format but it may be the first draft of a COP program. Maybe he is doing the reverse of Daisuke and Joubert ie instead of choreographing a fully COP viable program and then removing elements and simplifying it or canning the entire program he will build the program upward so it ends up a thing of (COP) beauty.... just speculating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The beauty of Elegie lies partly in the time taken for every detail and expression, a luxury not afforded by COP competition in which a great number of technical skills need to be shown within the timed program.

Moreover, I think Elegie was designed and unveiled to commemorate Mr. Colson whose birthday fell on the competition/title defense day at Worlds 2012, just as Mannish Boy celebrated Patrick's 21st birthday. I don't think Elegie will be tempered with to comply with COP.

Patrick was always seen with an elderly coach at the K&C and then he was surrounded by women. So far he has not picked coaches based on current popularity and reputation. Really curious to see who will be with him besides Johnson. Kurt as an advisor/mentor would be very interesting though Kurt doesn't coach and has commentary duties which may be deemed a conflict.

eta. I am getting hopeful about the possibility of Kurt's involvement. It just may suit him to be a part time coach. He is very familiar with Patrick's skills, they have a good chemistry and relationship and it would be wonderful if Patrick would win an OGM for Canada and for Kurt, even more so than Yuna winning one for Brian.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
The beauty of Elegie lies partly in the time taken for every detail and expression, a luxury not afforded by COP competition in which a great number of technical skills need to be shown within the timed program.

Moreover, I think Elegie was designed and unveiled to commemorate Mr. Colson whose birthday fell on the competition/title defense day at Worlds 2012, just as Mannish Boy celebrated Patrick's 21st birthday. I don't think Elegie will be tempered with to comply with COP.

ITA.

At least we know he will have two new programs next season. I am almost sure his new choreographer is David Wilson. Can't wait to see his new programs!

Thanks for the photo. It's indeed eye candy for me. :love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A reminder for the ubers, livestream of Patrick at Winnipeg Free Press beginning soon at 3.45PM Winnipeg time (CT?). I believe the video will stay a while on the site as today's earlier programs are still there.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...opping-into-News-Cafe-tomorrow-152682425.html

But I think he still keeping his new coach and new choreographer secret and new music and programs are not picked or worked on yet. Maybe some hints? ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Yes. As I said, he's much more in control dealing with the media these days. Gone was the young kid being manipulated and put on the defensive during the 2010 Olympics or the open stream of consciousness phone chat with the AP reporter with agenda last year. However, if we are talking about the WinnipegFP's video interview, the interviewer was a clueless deadbeat who didn't even know what to ply out of him. :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This Baidu thread has the best collection of Patrick's pictures from Rick Hansen's MIM 25th Anniversary.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1603617965

I am feeling encouraged about the possibility of Chan-Browning collaboration because Patrick has said it is "experimental", considering also that he still has Kathy Johnson with him in CS. If anybody could tempt Kurt into coaching, it would be Patrick, especially on an experimental part time consultant basis. Fingers crossed.

Yes. As I said, he's much more in control dealing with the media these days. Gone was the young kid being manipulated and put on the defensive during the 2010 Olympics or the open stream of consciousness phone chat with the AP reporter with agenda last year. However, if we are talking about the WinnipegFP's video interview, the interviewer was a clueless deadbeat who didn't even know what to ply out of him. :rolleye:

Clueless deadbeat...love it! Did they just assign some general sports reporter to the job? That's what usually happens in the U.S. these days, because so little attention is paid to skating. (Side note: I was so green with envy yesterday when I heard that one sports service will have six channels--I swear that's what I heard, six!--devoted to the tennis action of the French Open. Not that I resent tennis fans, but the comparison does sting somewhat.)

I'm very eager to think of Kurt pitching in to take part in Patrick's training. I think it will be rewarding for Kurt as well as for Patrick in terms of growth and just sheer enjoyment. I gather from SOI reports we've seen on this thread that Kurt's choreography was a delight to behold, and of course he has so much more to impart than just choreography. With all the wonderful male skaters Canada has had through the years, I think that Kurt is still the very best. Maybe in terms of impact on the sport, Toller gives Kurt a run for his money.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Have not read 64 pages of chan fest as I am a sometime fan, not an uber and who has time? Not even I. Can someone tell me who is going to coach and choreograph or who is not at least. Isn't Toronto Brian's home base? I am really hoping he goes with David Wilson for both programs, as he is the best, along with Lori. Has Orser been ruled out? I feel he was very hurt by Yuna/Mom?ATS whoever. He was very hurt. He is a male skater with 2 silver OLy medals which could have been gold. Who better to guide patrick to the gold in Sochi? I have said PC is a lock, but maybe not. Changes in scoring of jumps are possible and PC's falls will hurt him if things change.

I just want to know without reading pages who is likely his team, and who is ruled out. Thanks SF who sems to be a PC expert. Or the other couple ubers who do this thread for latest concise info.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Everything will be revealed in good time. Here we are having fun and enjoying the journey and the ride with Patrick.

Nobody knows what will happen in Sochi but the changes in scoring of jumps are not hurting Patrick, contrary to myths and wishes. Firstly, he is not the only one falling nor is he falling the most. Secondly, while there are no changes to fall penalties, his rivals need to worry about the more severe scoring of two foot landing of jumps.

All is well. Don't worry, be happy. :)