Skate Canada high performance camp, September 2012 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada high performance camp, September 2012

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
Btw - will be posting Tweets and pics w/Canada's top skating talent on Thursday from high perf camp - should be great! #cbcskates
10:49 AM - 31 Aug 12​

The camp will be held the "second weekend of September" in Mississauga, according to a Skate Canada tweet back in July.
Although Kwong's tweet suggests that Thursday, Sep 6, will be the first day of the camp, I don't know the exact dates.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Kaitlyn / Andrew ‏@WeaverPoje
Just a few more days until HP camp... The season is about to BEGIN!!! #getexcited #goCANADA
7:26 PM - 3 Sep 12

Skate Canada ‏@SkateCanada
@WeaverPoje We love the enthusiasm! See you guys soon :) #HPCamp
1:33 PM - 4 Sep 12 ·​

ETA:​

PiperGilles ‏@PiperGilles
Can't wait to see everyone at team camp today!! Safe travels everyone!!
3:08 AM - 5 Sep 12​

ETA:

Eric Radford ‏@Rad85E
On the way to team camp! Can't wait to see everybody! #sk8teamcamp
11:16 AM - 5 Sep 12​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
HP Camp roommates:

- Piper Gilles + Kirsten Moore-Towers
- Paul Poirier + Jeremy Ten

and ... ??

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe the camp runs from Sept 6-8

hohoho's dates are correct, per Skate Canada release today:
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1917/language/en-US/Default.aspx

See GS Program thread for program news re Virtue/Moir and Chan.

As promised, Pj Kwong @skatingpj is sending a steady stream of tweets and photos. [ETA: Well, the steady stream lasted a couple of hours, but seems to be on hiatus at the moment ...]

Skate Canada @SkateCanada also is tweeting.

And Skate Canada also is providing updates and photos on Facebook.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^

Re Dube/Wolfe: Do you mean anything beyond this (from this morning)?

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
Just confirmed w/SC 'ppl who come to the HPC are expected to be at a certain point for readiness and they weren't there yet" re dube!wolfe
8:17 AM - 6 Sep 12​

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^

Re Dube/Wolfe: Do you mean anything beyond this (from this morning)?

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
Just confirmed w/SC 'ppl who come to the HPC are expected to be at a certain point for readiness and they weren't there yet" re dube!wolfe
8:17 AM - 6 Sep 12​

that doesn't sound good... :think:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Injury maybe? I'm going to favor D/R and MT/M anyway. I think both those teams have much more potential......Any thoughts on that?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Skate Canada ‏@SkateCanada
It's day 2 at the #HPCamp and the skaters on are on the ice doing their competition stimulations. Important day with critical feedback.
7:37 AM - 7 Sep 12​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No claim whatsoever that the following list is exhaustive, but I have seen mentions and/or photos of the following skaters at HP Camp:

Patrick Chan
Kevin Reynolds
Jeremy Ten
Elladj Baldé
Liam Firus (GP assignment to SCI)

Amélie Lacoste
Kaetlyn Osmond

Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford
Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch

Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir
Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje
Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill
Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams (GP assignments to Rostelecom and NHK)

- PJ Kwong tweeted about the absence of Jessica Dubé/Sébastien Wolfe.

- Is Andrei Rogozine the guy in the white shirt and blue jeans in this photo?
ETA, the answer from colleen o'neill is Yes.​

- The following also are members of the national team - so theoretically could/should be there too?

Cynthia Phaneuf
Alexandra Najarro
Adriana DeSanctis
ETA: Najarro has tweeted from HP Camp. And I'm pretty sure that I see both DeSanctis and her in the group photos.

Taylor Steele/Rob Schultz

Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam​
ETA, update: Paul/Islam eventually were shown in HP Camp photos.

- Jeffrey Buttle is there, but in his role as a choreographer, I believe.

- Skate Canada tweeted a photo of "Aaron" + Virtue/Moir + Zoueva, but I'm guessing that Aaron is not a skater?? [ETA, Aaron is Aaron Lowe. Thanks to hohoho and colleen!]

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
Skate Canada have not been sending out much information on the camp, ie dates, attendees, etc. The little bits you are getting is all about the World Champions (Chan, Virtue, Moir). I believe the list above is basically who I saw in the few pictures circling around.

Aaron Lowe was a skater (dance). He is now a coach in BC. He coaches Orford and Williams.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
And Aaron and Megan Wing ( wife , skating and coaching partner ) were Zueva students.

ETA: I'm wondering , what with SLC being only a few days away , if P/I didn't just opt to stay put and polish their programs ?

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh ... thanks for your help, hohoho! Although I am familiar with the names of "Wing and Lowe," just his first name (and without hers) did not ring a bell for me. And I did not know what he looks like.

Did you by chance click on the Facebook photo link above? Do you agree that the guy is Rogozine? If not, do you know who he is?

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I don't know about hohoho , but that link didn't work for me . However ,Rogozine is in some of the group photos wearing a white button up shirt and jeans .

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Colleen, thanks for confirmation re Rogozine (like you, I saw him wearing a white shirt and jeans). [Sorry about the link, but I went back to check -- and it still works for me, even without being logged in to Facebook.]

Thanks also for your previous post pointing out the Lowe/Zoueva connection. (I was in the middle of writing my post above when you added yours.)
Because I know so little about skating history (so I mean no disrespect to the many accomplishments of Wing/Lowe), one of the contexts in which I "know" W/L is that for the 2006 Olympics, they were the #2 Canadian dance team -- the slot that the young Virtue/Moir had hoped might be their own.
Glad that everyone is all smiles at this point. :)

ETA:
Regarding whether Paul/Islam are at the HP Camp -- and if not, what the reason might be:
I believe that each skater or team is entitled to decide what is in his/her/its best interest, so no judgment attached to the following comment.
But also competing at SLC are many of the skaters who are attending the HP Camp: three singles skaters, two pair teams, and another dance team.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) yeah, no judgement from me either.. I just wasn't panicking , thinking ,if it was me, I'd weigh very carefully what was in my best interest... They had quite a bit of work to do on their polka .. I don't think they need feedback on their costumes or music ..There will be a very tough fight ( I hope ) at Canadians , and in the meantime , they have only the 2 Senior Bs to try to put up really competitive scores .

Going into SLC , G/P have the PR advantage of having been 3rd in Canada last year ( and having been marked undeservedly, I think , close to V/M and W/P ).

So , if it was me , I think I would be keeping my nose to the grindstone for an extra week .