Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Skate Canada 2012 Ladies - Short Program

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    Today, a skater who skate bad will necessary have a bad score, like example : Patrick Chan in Japan Open 2012, and a skater who skated to her potential even if this skater is new to the judge can win a competition, like example : Christina Gao in skate america 2012.
    Um, Christina Gao wasn't anywhere close to winning Skate America (although she should have been) and Patrick Chan's bad skate at Japan Open 2012 is the first time he has actually received a bad score for a bad skate, not to mention his PCS for that performance were still probably too high.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboogie22 View Post
    I believe that figure skating is going for the first times in the good way. And, this will help to makes the sport more appreciate and more popular.
    Did you see the attendance at this event? Try again.

skating philosopher
    To be fair to Gracie, some skaters would have fell off that 3F given how tilted it was. Her mistake was that she tried to power though the 3T instead of just doing a 2T. She would have scored better if she did that.

And while not her best effort, I wouldn't consider it a meltdown either. She's within striking distance of the bronze. Hoping she'll recover in the FS!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    And while not her best effort, I wouldn't consider it a meltdown either. She's within striking distance of the bronze. Hoping she'll recover in the FS!
    That's true; a lot of skaters can potentially medal here, considering how close the scores are. I suspect those of us who were skating fans under the old system are using to the actual rankings after the SP being very important (needing to be in the top 3 after the SP to win gold without "help", etc.), but under this system they're really not that important when things are this close.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    On the protocols, Tuktamysheva got negative GOE on her 3 loop. However, it looked clean to me. Does anyone know why she got those scores?
    Yes, I've noticed that on many skaters (Ex. Elene G., Caroline Z.). The chief reason I believe is that there are NO PRECEEDING STEPS going into a SOLO jump. They are required to dock GOE despite the fact that the jump is clean.

Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    O.K., I was confused by the question. I noted that her set up time into the 3Lo took a very long time and they weren't preceded by connecting steps as required in the SP. It looks like some judges chose to penalize her on not fulfilling the requirement, which I think is a good thing. In the past, many skaters could get away with it because the rule is not always strictly reinforced. I am glad they dinged her for it to send a clear message to all skaters.
    Yes, I'm quite glad as well.
    Last week, in the Men's SP at Skate America, many of the contenders (Ex. Kozuka, Abbott, and some others) did not put ANY steps prior to the solo Quad they attempted. Yet, they didn't get -3s across anywhere (save for Abbott, who fell on his Quad).
    If men want to start attempting Quads in the SP, I have nothing against it, but if you're going to do it, do it with steps, or a combination. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    When will these ridiculous < calls on Kanako's 3T-3T stop?!?! It is NOT justified. Those jumps have the rotation and she has been more consistent on that combination than any other woman in the World. The << call on her Triple Flip here was not correct either, that jump was only < .

Zhang sadly hasn't stepped it up at all, after her good showings at Nationals and 4CC last year. Maybe she is just having a slow start to the season again, but it's not looking promising.
    Agreeing completely on the case with Murakami. The judges simply dislike her for some reason. Those UR calls are definitely incorrect.
    Yes, my speculations from last season were correct. Zhang's performance at 4CC and Nationals were basically a one-off skate of her life type. After such, I really don't see how she can improve and GROW from that, as it appears to be too late.

Tripping on the Podium
    I was very impressed with Osmand. Such a joyful to watch! Well deserved.

So happy that Elene had a good skate. She looks fit, and her dress is gorgeous. She looked like she was skating to some fast music, though. I prefer the upbeat music for her.

Enjoyed Gold even with some mistakes. She's just lovely!

Is Taktamysheva inured? She looks slow and tentative. Her arm movement has much improved, but her neck and shoulder are still stiff.

Enjoyed Murakami's program even if she's little sloppy.

Some interesting movements, but Akikio's programs was a bit of disappointment. Her spin was slow and ugly..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy15 View Post
    Zhang's performance at 4CC and Nationals were basically a one-off skate of her life type. After such, I really don't see how she can improve and GROW from that, as it appears to be too late.
    To me she skated as well as she did last year. Her 3R-2T earns almost as much as her 3R-3R at 4CC. There really isn't much upside to her marks without improving her PCS pretty drastically. I agree that it's too late for her, her fundamentals were just not ever strong enough to succeed under COP.

Rinkside
    Thought Zhang bombed with that score before watching the program. Watched Zhang's program, it was quite good. She was so underscored. Probably because she skated early. If She skated last, she will be in a different position. She was one of the few with clean programs. To be fair to Zhang, she was robbed. The program should be scored around a 58. There is no way that program should be behind some of those ladies who made mistakes in their programs. I would place her in 3rd. It doesn't matter if the other ladies attempted harder triple triple, if they dont land it, it disrupts the program and it should be reflected in the PCS scores. It's even a joke when she is only 1 point ahead of Gold who had two major mistakes. The judging is a joke, it's all about reputation, politics. COP or 6.0 figure skating juding is a mess. Zhang might as well hang her skates and go to school like Flatt.
    Last edited by skatingcoach; 10-27-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by naan View Post
    I was very impressed with Osmand. Such a joyful to watch! Well deserved.

So happy that Elene had a good skate. She looks fit, and her dress is gorgeous. She looked like she was skating to some fast music, though. I prefer the upbeat music for her.

Enjoyed Gold even with some mistakes. She's just lovely!

Is Taktamysheva inured? She looks slow and tentative. Her arm movement has much improved, but her neck and shoulder are still stiff.

Enjoyed Murakami's program even if she's little sloppy.

Some interesting movements, but Akikio's programs was a bit of disappointment. Her spin was slow and ugly..
    She's filled out and that influences her jumping ability - hope she'll get her former shape. And also,yes, she is still recovering from back and leg injuries(
    Hope she and Gracie will have great skates!=) They still can make the podium

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    She's filled out and that influences her jumping ability - hope she'll get her former shape. And also,yes, she is still recovering from back and leg injuries(. Hope she and Gracie will have great skates!=) They still can make the podium
    Gracie still has a shot for a podium or even win Gold
    but Liza needs to have an error free or at least only 1 error to make the podium.

I agree, she filled out, her body type will not help her if she gains weight as she is short,
    Liza is shorter than Adelina and Julia

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    She's filled out and that influences her jumping ability - hope she'll get her former shape. And also,yes, she is still recovering from back and leg injuries(
    Hope she and Gracie will have great skates!=) They still can make the podium
    Hope she recovers soon. Liza is my favorite Russian girl

Custom Title
    Gold's 3F and Shelepen's 3lutz have edge deductions.

Custom Title
    Was very impressed with Elene G, a deserved lead and a nice change of style. My favourite performance was Makarova, I really thought she was undermarked on PCS. Liza felt a bit flat not her best. I was very disappointed with Shelepen, last year I was expecting her to make the Russian team for Euros and Worlds, she is a long way of that now. Not sure if the coaching change is working for her.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18