Irina might be at worlds. | Golden Skate

Irina might be at worlds.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That seems like a long shot. Then again, assuming Russian will not be able to send Soldatova, they really have nothing to loose, as the 4th place finisher is Alima Gershkovich, a 15 year old that Federation really does not want to send.

I am a lot happier to hear that her health is improving than in speculation about Worlds. I agree with Ptichka. Irina has been out of action for many months with life-threatening illnesses. I can't see her suddenly jumping up and being factor in World championship competition.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As I said at ISFF... I'd rather her skip this season and come back strong and HEALTHY and kick tooshie next year...

If she's healthy and practicing well, I'm with whatever decision she makes. If she goes, then one of the 3 Nats finishes will have to stay at home. Will I ever see Oblasova?

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I hope so, Excidra. I miss her. She grew up along side of Michelle (skating wise) and I miss their good-natured rivalry....42

ATW27

On the Ice
I Agree with Toni; I'm more concerned that Irina has a full recovery first then think about competing again. If she's feeling better, great, but I hope she's not trying to rush things just because she misses the ice so much. So, Irina, please, take care of yourself, and look to the future.

Andy

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I agree as well. By the sound of it, she had (has?) a condition that you probably shouldn't mess with! And I find it hard to believe that she's going to be able to pull it together under the circumstances and end up on the podium. She could well push herself too hard to get there and end up like 7th or something, and what would be the point?

Ironic that the Russian women are having so many problems this year, considering how much top-of-the-line talent they had just 4 years ago. Maybe some of the up-and-comers from back then who dropped out because it was too competitive are now wishing they had stayed in.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'm glad to see she's recovering, but I too am worried that she may be taxing herself by returning too soon. Best of luck to her.

Does anyone know if this affects her COI contract? Will she still tour even if she doesn't go to worlds, or is she dependant on a world finish to secure a tour invite? At this point in her career, I would imagine she is popular enought to tour without a worlds medal, but does anyone know for sure?

Ironic that the Russian women are having so many problems this year, considering how much top-of-the-line talent they had just 4 years ago.

Ah, it's a slippery sport. The US had 2 men on the podium at 96 worlds, then just 2 short years later they were left completely off the podium at Nagano.

Tove

On the Ice
I'm so happy if she's healthy enough to skate, I hope she's not pushing anything.....

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If she's healthy and practicing well, I'm with whatever decision she makes. If she goes, then one of the 3 Nats finishes will have to stay at home. Will I ever see Oblasova?
Joe
Oblasova will go no matter what. Since the federation won't be able to send Soldatova, they will certainly send Sokolova and Oblasova. As I said earlier, they don't really want to send the unexperienced 15 year old 4th place finisher Alima Gershkovich.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Irina

It's just great to hear that Irina is recovered enough to even practice. It would be great to see her back in competition. Considering what has been publicized about her health, perhaps even if she does push herself no permanent damage will be done unlike if she had an injury. If Irina doesn't skate well, I can live with that and certainly understand. If she misses skating that much, maybe she should give it a try.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Dizzy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Irina is still on medication, and is on a very reduced practice schedule. There are less than 10 weeks to Worlds. If she really wants to be competitive, she would have to increase her practices drastically, and that can't possibly be good for her health.

I hope she takes the time to heal completely before jumping back into a competition such as Worlds were there are three segments to be skated.

The information from this article came from Irina's PR person. The thought has crossed my mind that it isn't really Worlds Irina is aiming for, but the COI tour. I am sure she needs the money now, what with her mother's and her own illness, and having lost income from the two cheesefests and the Grand Prix.

Evdokia

On the Ice
I slightly wonder, if it's not only money, but maybe there is some pressure of the Russian fed on Irina to compete at worlds? :confused: (Given the fact that they probably won't be albe to send Soldatova to worlds, it's very possible that they might loose their third sport for Worlds 2005 in Moscow if Oblasova + Gershkovitz = two rookies, will compete in Dortmund.)

I really wish Irina from my deep heart to be healthy and able to perform in top shape at Worlds 2004, but I just think it's not very realistic that this is going to happen. :rolleye: (However I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.:))