Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event | Page 47 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

Alex D

Record Breaker
Wow 3 deduction for Sarah... Thats like a red card in football.

They are on 3 now! 1 group to go.

IleK

On the Ice
Big congrats to Zoli! I am also a Hungarian born in Romania, living in Canada for 20y by now, but I always root for the athletes from back home and he is an inspiration indeed. I just learned yesterday that he has lost one eye in his childhood, so he deserves a lot of respect for what he is doing out there. Yes, and he is improved in spades since working with Gh. Chiper

I knew about his problem a few years a I think and I was socked he could do what he does. He signed a declaration that he is the only one responsable if something happens to him on the ice during a competition because of this. This takes a lot of courage, he did it everything on his own and lately with the help of Chiper and whoever sees him skate can not think that he sees with only one eye (the other one is a glass eye), he does everything with so much ease.

It's nice you remember your countrymen and root for them. Canada has a lot of accomplished skaters. Romania's Sabina Mariuta moved with her family in Canada in 1999 and it is very obvious she is training in Canada. I remember former Romanian skater Roxana Luca who trained in Romania like Zoli did and she was always struggling because of the lack of preparation. Now she is training kids in Germany. Chiper is main coach in Switzerland, at least their work and effort has been rewarded after they ended their careers. Chiper was very talented, I saw him competing in his last years and I remeber that in his last Euros he finished 6th or 7th.

And talking about Canada, I am very happy that a few minutes ago Sara Hurtado and Adria Diaz, my favourite ice dance couple in this competition, qualified for Sochi. And they looked amazing and much more improved comparing to last year because they are training in Canada with Marie-France Dubreuil.
And good for the Australian couple! What a party for Australia, after Brooklee and Brandon have already qualified.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Tuned in just in time for the Australians--thrilled that they grabbed an Olympic ticket, but those costumes are too distracting for me even for the circus theme. Congrats to Japanese and Spanish teams also. Now final group....

For some reason costumes seem to be irking me today. Somebody needs to tell Monko that horizontal stripes will only make you look chunky. Not a great choice. ETA: their free dance is boring and a bit klutzy and sloppy-looking. Russia has such a depth of dancing talent, but these are definitely the second- or even third-stringers.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I knew about his problem a few years a I think and I was socked he could do what he does. He signed a declaration that he is the only one responsable if something happens to him on the ice during a competition because of this. This takes a lot of courage, he did it everything on his own and lately with the help of Chiper and whoever sees him skate can not think that he sees with only one eye (the other one is a glass eye), he does everything with so much ease.

What a courageous guys both Zoltan and his coach Chiper, indeed! Thank you so much, herios and IleK, for sharing such most moving story with us all. :) Zoltan has been added to our (me and my hubby's ;)) list of skaters to root for from now on :yes: Really look forward seeing him skate live at one of competitions that we are to attend in the near future. Goooo Zoltan! :yay:

Oh, and many congrats to herios, too, for Romania getting the Oly spot!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Really pretty, haunting skate by Hubbell/Donahue, and I don't particularly like Queen music. I'm not that dance-knowledgeable but it seemed maybe to not have difficulty of top pairs? But for this field, probably plenty.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
When Madison did that move where she sort of climbs on top of him, I thought for a moment she was going to LIFT him, a la Marina Anissina (and someone else who slips my mind right now)!! LOL

ETA: Just thought of the other gender bender lifting woman, Sinead Kerr.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Chinese appeared to be skating slow and cautious. Not their best vehicle but hope it's enough for an Olympic spot since I'd love to see a Chinese team there. Nutcracker music always puts me in the Christmas shopping mood...:)

ETA: Ok, yes! The Chinese are going to Sochi.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
When Madison did that move where she sort of climbs on top of him, I thought for a moment she was going to LIFT him, a la Marina Anissina (and someone else who slips my mind right now)!! LOL

ETA: Just thought of the other gender bender lifting woman, Sinead Kerr.

Federica Faella also performed that lift.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Oooh, I love this Canadian couple. Shame about her little stumble on the twizzles. Canada really has a deep bench of good dance teams.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Turkish team are a really good-looking couple, but this music at first part of program is not really danceable and I think a poor choice. There are plenty of other sultry jazzy things out there with a better beat. James Brown part is fine.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
So glad for O'B/M .. Love both programs for H/D and P/I.

But au-u-u-gh! the twizzles for P/I( and they were gorgeous in the SD)..Now , on to Skate Canada..

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
OK, the qualifiers are China, Turkey, Australia, Japan, Spain. First alternate is Slovakia, which is important since the already-qualified spot for Lithuania may go unfilled depending on citizenship issues and availability of other qualified LTU team (is there another?).

Mao88

Record Breaker

skatingfan04

Final Flight
So glad for O'B/M .. Love both programs for H/D and P/I.

But au-u-u-gh! the twizzles for P/I( and they were gorgeous in the SD)..Now , on to Skate Canada..

H/D were just lovely. I liked everything about that FD. They got a well deserved win here. I'm hoping it translates to an Olympic spot for them later in the season.

P/I had the highest component scores again today. Looks like they definitely would have won it if not for the twizzles. It's really a shame, especially since they're usually P/I's best element. That being said, a bronze medal here is a great achievement for them, and a wonderful way to start their season. They're programs are really fabulous, and it should be a boost for them to see that they're being rewarded for their quality by an international judging panel. I just took a look at the protocols, and P/I got 0 points for their twizzle sequence, which explains why their technical score was so low. They also got level 2 on both footwork sequences, which didn't help either. Everything else was a level 4, though, so I think they're in good shape going into SC.

herios

Medalist
OK, the qualifiers are China, Turkey, Australia, Japan, Spain. First alternate is Slovakia, which is important since the already-qualified spot for Lithuania may go unfilled depending on citizenship issues and availability of other qualified LTU team (is there another?).

Is Agafonova a Turkish citizen, just wondering because Wiki does not mention anything like that.