Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Oooh, I love this Canadian couple. Shame about her little stumble on the twizzles. Canada really has a deep bench of good dance teams.[/QUOTI ]

I like them too, prefer this team to the other two top teams. They should be the third team for Sochi.

herios

Medalist
H/D were just lovely. I liked everything about that FD. They got a well deserved win here. I'm hoping it translates to an Olympic spot for them later in the season.

P/I had the highest component scores again today. Looks like they definitely would have won it if not for the twizzles. It's really a shame, especially since they're usually P/I's best element. That being said, a bronze medal here is a great achievement for them, and a wonderful way to start their season. They're programs are really fabulous, and it should be a boost for them to see that they're being rewarded for their quality by an international judging panel. I just took a look at the protocols, and P/I got 0 points for their twizzle sequence, which explains why their technical score was so low. They also got level 2 on both footwork sequences, which didn't help either. Everything else was a level 4, though, so I think they're in good shape going into SC.

Well, I have to say I do not trust Paul and Islam as competitors. Once again they screwed up. I did not share the enthusiasm after their SP, because I felt they might be doing something wrong and lose the lead. So they did.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm really hoping P/I get the third spot for Canada ..and now that I've had a few deep breaths and poured a strong cup of coffee ( the sun is not over the yard arm where I am ) .. does anyone have an explanation for M/K's program ? What weirdness was that ?

ETA: Oh, and ditto to hopes for H/D for their third spot.. I actually thought they were a bit robbed at their nationals last year.

Kutien

Final Flight
Eurosport HD Russian
1 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 147.11 video
2 Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN RUS 142.14 video
3 Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 141.99 video
4 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN 133.90 video
5 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR 127.53
6 Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN AUS 127.20 video
7 Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN 126.97 video
8 Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ ESP 119.76
9 Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK 118.93 video
10 Justyna PLUTOWSKA / Peter GERBER POL 118.86 video
11 Angelina TELEGINA / Otar JAPARIDZE GEO 118.66
12 Shari KOCH / Christian NUCHTERN GER 118.11 video
13 Henna LINDHOLM / Ossi KANERVO FIN 117.98 video
14 Ramona ELSENER / Florian ROOST SUI 115.59 video

bramweld

Record Breaker
M/K don't have the personalities or level of artistry required to pull off that program well. It just comes across as flat. Maybe it'll get better though as the season progresses. But I'm curious now to see R/T because M/K's scores here were respectable. Zhulin was probably thinking of P/B when he put that together.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oooh, I love this Canadian couple. Shame about her little stumble on the twizzles. Canada really has a deep bench of good dance teams.

That was not a little stumble, as they lost all value for the twizzle element; an L4 Twizzle is worth 6.5+ points. They also got L2 for both step sequences; H/D and M/K got L3 for at least one of their steps.

That was an unfortunate error for P/I, who have been historically error-prone. They needed to show Skate Canada that they were capable of delivering a clean performance in a key competition, and this one does count for both ISU points and the SB list. A win would have been a big plus and instead goes down as another negative.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what programs she (Faiella) specifically performed it in? I don't remember it, but am curious now!

herios

Medalist
That was not a little stumble, as they lost all value for the twizzle element; an L4 Twizzle is worth 6.5+ points. They also got L2 for both step sequences; H/D and M/K got L3 for at least one of their steps.

That was an unfortunate error for P/I, who have been historically error-prone. They needed to show Skate Canada that they were capable of delivering a clean performance in a key competition, and this one does count for both ISU points and the SB list. A win would have been a big plus and instead goes down as another negative.

My thought exactly. You can have all the talent and programs to make it happen, but if you cannot lay it down when it counts, you are a weak competitor. And here was no pressure cooker, like it will be at nationals.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Madison HUBBELL & Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 147.11 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Ksenia MONKO & Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) - 142.14 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Alexandra PAUL & Mitchell ISLAM (CAN) - 141.99 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Xintong HUANG & Xun ZHENG (CHN) - 133.90 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
5. Alisa AGAFONOVA & Alper UCAR (TUR) - 127.53 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 127.20 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
7. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 126.97 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Sara HURTADO & Adria DIAZ (ESP) - 119.76 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
9. Federica TESTA & Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 118.93 Free Dance, 2nd Copy

Medal Ceremony

MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 262.98 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Jason BROWN (USA) - 228.43 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Jeremy TEN (CAN) - 205.56 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Artur DMITRIEV (RUS) - 201.74 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 197.46 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Zoltan KELEMEN (ROU) - 194.08 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 189.46 Free Skate
8. Brendan KERRY (AUS) - 188.67 Free Skate
9. Yakov GODOROZHA (UKR) - 188.26 Free Skate
10. Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON (ITA) - 184.07 Free Skate

Medal Ceremony

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
A special thank you for Mao and sequinsgalore for all you do. It is the next best thing to being there (or finding a feed that isn't geoblocked!).

:clap:

samba

On the Ice
Love it!... LOVE P/I's music and program, too bad on that twizzle, they would have got gold medal! H/D skated well but the music put me to sleep and the program seemed to be less difficult when compared with P/I's. Hope P/I get the Canadian third spot.
What will happen if the LTU and TUR won't make it due to citizenship issue? Will the SVK and Polish get the last 2 spots??

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
M/K don't have the personalities or level of artistry required to pull off that program well. It just comes across as flat. Maybe it'll get better though as the season progresses. But I'm curious now to see R/T because M/K's scores here were respectable. Zhulin was probably thinking of P/B when he put that together.

I don't agree. As a matter of fact if they won gold I wouldn't have batted a lash.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't agree. As a matter of fact if they won gold I wouldn't have batted a lash.

Actually I liked it a lot! They skated it with lots of speed and personality. And this program really highlights their great matching lines!

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Thanks Mao for the videos! The men's podium is the happiest I ever see! They were all so happy! Good for them.

Never noticed Jason Brown before but an instant fan now! He's a bundle of joys! Congratulations to Oda, Brown and Ten!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Gala report

Just returned from the Gala and I have to say that it all was kinda weird this year. We at Oberstdorf have a tradition that is about shaking hands with all the athlets at the end of the Gala, this wasnt allowed this year - so that the Skaters and we were just smiling at each other, clapping for 2 rounds in our hands instead of having the usual ritual.

I find that quite a pity, because I know how much the Skaters love that last moment and we of course do so as well :(

Anyways, as for the Gala itself, it was quite funny when Anne Line stood right infront of me with a japanese umbrella in her hand and said "HI I am from Saigon and I now jump over the ring fence and also take part in the Gala". That poor thing had to wait about 5 minutes though, barely wearing something that was appropiate for such a long delay - she must have been freezing.

Her Skate was nice to watch and I think it was really lovely that she wanted to join the Gala, as not everyone could. As for example the Wende Family couldnt join, but I also missed Nathalie and Isa.

Those that took part in the Gala were of course the other medalist´s and some really special guest´s. For instance did we have a visitor from the Czech Repuplic who was a little bit "different" to his usual being and also an old friend of Nintendo came over to say hello!

I am honest with you, those Gala Skates can be really breathtaking and as a person that is build close to water I had that moment when Alexandra and Mitchell were on the ice. That was so beautiful!
A quite funny contrast had Jason who gave us the Sledge Hammer again and Elena? Oh god she was a Zombie! You can hardly believe that this young girl is only 14 years old! Her attitude and expression on the ice, is really fantastic. There is nothing she cant do, its so amazing to see, she is a real actor on the ice!
Russia is really blessed with young skater right now, they could dominate figure skating after the Olympics, or maybe even there already.
Another youngster is Annabelle - she who is too young for Worlds or Olympics, while her partner Ruben is too old for Juniors has a phänomenal style on the ice, so yes also we Germans are blessed with talent finally again!

Somebody else who has talent and now finally an "appropiater" partner, is Tatiana. In my opinion the best pair right now and this I say as a German! I do know there are quite a few here who dislike M&T - but for me they always bring something new into their programs and I have to admit, I like their personality too. I see them now for so many years and some people are just very sympathic you know, they smile back when you smile at them, they greet you if you walk past each other - something that a lot of "VIPs" forget over time.

That does not mean that other pairs dont do that, no no! Most of the athlets in the Skaters family are very kind and you can always have a chat, get an autograph signed or take a picture. I am glad that it is like this, because this makes figure skating to a very "family like" business! I certanly hope it stays like that ;)

Somebody else who likes to keep a tradition is ODA. He won the men´s competition last year and he did it again. Not like Britney once "OOPS", no he really does it on purpose I believe ;) What I like about him is his character on the ice and of course his skill, it always looks so easy at him - so that you might want to try a quad yourself but then you remember last time when you did this and how much it has hurt, so that you better let him do the jumping, while you just keep on writing your silly articles.

If you add to the name ODA an N and put it into a mixer, then you get ANDO eventually! Miki did a wonderful exhibtion as well, she really seemed to be happy, but still she always looks like a shy kitten and this makes here skates somehow magikal. She skates so soft with these smooth movements be it arms or legs, it just always looks so calm and you can really loose yourself into her performance.

There were of course many more skaters that I could write about, but its Saturday night and I eventually bore people anyways, so I let go and hope that things get back to normal next year and that we can shake hands again with the skaters, like we did in every year!