Australian figure skaters | Page 74 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
The OWIA article says that he also works with Frank Carroll. But yes, Tammy is still his main coach.
I hope he doesn't feel too down after his performance. It really is all about what is between his two ears.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Was Andrew Dodds sick ? Why does his coach giggle after that skate. Why do we have to look so unprofessional with blow up kangaroos like everything is a joke. Very dissapointing results from Team Australia. Not one skater in top half of comp or improved places from last year. Kailani at least got PB in LP but overall results not improved. Brendan has been going so well but also did not shine here. The girls had perfect oppurtunity to place top 10 with so many pulling out and Gold and Chen off. I guess theres next year but compared to other winter olympic sports we are not at all competitive with the rest of the world. I really had faith that this was changing but our image continues to be lots of fun but no substance!

Gosh i have many opinions on your idiotic assessment of 4CC. Firstly, Kiss and Cry is not the time for a coach to be hard on their student when he has just fallen 4 times. After such a rough skate a coach has to talk about the positives. Coaches who talk negatives to skaters when they finish is a path to their student quitting. And having a blow up kangaroo for Kiss & Cry makes Australia look like a team. There is nothing unprofessional about it. Australia has always taken pride in team spirit and sportsmanship.

I don't really know what you expected from the ladies. Kailani just got the highest score for an Australian lady internationally ever and you're complaining about her result ? And to say you expected them to beat Gracie Gold because she wasn't at her best is absolutely ludicrous.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Kailani has been selected to represent Australia at Worlds in Boston. Well done to her.
I suppose that Brendan will take our men's spot.

I hope one day, the pairs and ice dance spot will be filled again....one day....some day

Hang on a minute. I think some of these comments are a bit harsh. It's not surprising Australian figure skaters aren't at the top of the boards considering we don't have the culture, coaches, financial support or ice of the powerhouse federations.

I agree with karne - Kailani and Andrew both achieved PBs, and Katie and the dancers have gained an experience that will only make them better competitors in the long term. What do you suggest Australia does? Never send our skaters overseas because they haven't got a chance of making the podium?

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Maybe we could learn a lot from the Japanese and be a bit more humble not so attention seeking. No other figure skaters blow kisses to the stands and carry on the way we do posing for photos in front of monuments in weird positions. Seriously team Aus need to tone it down until we have the goods otherwise we look a tad silly. I know this will be howled down but results don't lie. When you are the best in the world then you can be a diva - not before and even they don't carry on like we do. Whilst it may seem everyone thinks it's funny and aren't they silly Aussies- I think they may be laughing at us not with us. Sorry to shatter the illusion but The Russians and Japanese must think we are crazy - even the Americans known for their brashness aren't so full on.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If you think no other skaters blow kisses to the stands or in the kiss and cry, take photos in front of monuments in places they go, or goof off for the camera, then you have your head stuck in the sand.

I gotta wonder why you even bother coming to this thread.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Maybe we could learn a lot from the Japanese and be a bit more humble not so attention seeking. No other figure skaters blow kisses to the stands and carry on the way we do posing for photos in front of monuments in weird positions. Seriously team Aus need to tone it down until we have the goods otherwise we look a tad silly. I know this will be howled down but results don't lie. When you are the best in the world then you can be a diva - not before and even they don't carry on like we do. Whilst it may seem everyone thinks it's funny and aren't they silly Aussies- I think they may be laughing at us not with us. Sorry to shatter the illusion but The Russians and Japanese must think we are crazy - even the Americans known for their brashness aren't so full on.

This is probably the most ignorant post I've ever read.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
No one said anything about the kiss and cry ...but oh and wait we don't ever get to participate in a team event like that because out team seems to exist

GF2445

Record Breaker
....In other news, I am very happy to relay our reps from Jnr and Snr Worlds

Jnr.
James Min
Katie Pasfield
Matilda Friend & William Badaoui

Snr.
Brendan Kerry
Kailani Craine

5 Weeks to go.
Im sort of happy that none of them often update their social media. It means that they are working hard in training.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Im sort of happy that none of them often update their social media. It means that they are working hard in training.

I do enjoy when Brendan posts his jump clips to instagram though. He is truly a gorgeous jumper.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Point is top teams in world

Australia is never going to be one of the top teams in the world. We just don't have the facilities, money and coaches to create skaters that are going to be olympic champions. Australians must train overseas if they want a chance to make it in skating. But obviously not everyone can afford the luxury of training overseas, therefore we do not have a vast amount of skaters doing triples. You rarely see any Australians landing multiple triples that have never trained overseas. So unless you're offering money for all of Australia's singles pairs and ice dancers, i would stop being so disrespectful to skaters who are working their hardest to do the best they can for their country.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Good point.

I have moved those posts to the state of Australian skating thread..

BTW, a link to that thread is in the OP, if anyone is having trouble finding it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Brendan is competing at Nordics tonight. Time conversions below, all times AEDT etc.

SP
SATURDAY 27 FEB 10:10pm

LP
SUNDAY 28 FEB 8:00pm

Live stream is here!

As you can see these times are very reasonable for us.

GF2445

Record Breaker
SBS have put together a 1 hour video of Australia's performances at Four Continents.

The feature
Matilda & William FD
Brendan and Andrew's SP & FS
Kailani, Brooklee and Katie's FS

Enjoy.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do you know if this will be part of today's 4CC recap?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Good Luck to Brendan, who is competing at the Nordic Open.
Hopefully we will see him do a clean quad :)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do you know if this will be part of today's 4CC recap?

Well, they sort of were...they showed the highlights of each Aussie skaters skate (without that awful replay music 4CC has been using - man that gets old fast!) and their score and of course the inflatable kangaroo :biggrin:.

You can watch the 1 hour video on SBS on Demand if your internet is good enough though!