Australian figure skaters | Page 75 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Enjoyed watching the 4CC performances again on the SBS site, as well as the recap from 4CCs.

Mark Webber's slogan has always been: Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think that applies beautifully to all of our skaters too. So hard working and always up for a fight. :love:

Good Luck to Brendan, who is competing at the Nordic Open.
Hopefully we will see him do a clean quad :)

No clean quad in the SP last night but some very interesting developments in the jump layout. Opened with 3Lz (after a slight hesitation - I think he said something about the boards in the kiss and cry), then a 3A (hand down) and then in the second half of the SP he did a 3S-3T which to me can mean only one thing - he is going to change out the 4T for a 4S and put it in combo in the second half. No-one can say he doesn't have the ambition!

He did look very tired, though, so it would not surprise me if tonight's performance is a little fatigued. Men's LP at Nordics starts from 8pm and the live stream is VERY good!

peese

Medalist
And good luck Team Australia this week! Love little James Min! So much personality and promise.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoyed watching the 4CC performances again on the SBS site, as well as the recap from 4CCs.

Mark Webber's slogan has always been: Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I think that applies beautifully to all of our skaters too. So hard working and always up for a fight. :love:

No clean quad in the SP last night but some very interesting developments in the jump layout. Opened with 3Lz (after a slight hesitation - I think he said something about the boards in the kiss and cry), then a 3A (hand down) and then in the second half of the SP he did a 3S-3T which to me can mean only one thing - he is going to change out the 4T for a 4S and put it in combo in the second half. No-one can say he doesn't have the ambition!

He did look very tired, though, so it would not surprise me if tonight's performance is a little fatigued. Men's LP at Nordics starts from 8pm and the live stream is VERY good!

When do you head to the US for Worlds? So jealous but hope you have the best time!!!

peese

Medalist
And of course good luck to the Aussies at Sr Worlds!!! I'll be cheering loudly here at home for them.

GF2445

Record Breaker
It's a PB for James!!

Great to see him try a triple triple, as well as get the 3Flip.
He's in 4th place atm. Again, unlikely to make the cut but an improvement is definitely noticiable.

To make the top 24, he can't finish in the bottom 15.
He is currently ahead of 7 skaters (6 atm+ 1 withdrawal)
Of the remaining skaters, I can see 2-3 skater placing below James, but there will need to be 5 meltdowns for James to make the top 24.

Nevertheless, so happy for him.
From a general skater fan comment, i would love to see his movements to be not so angular and manic- soften them a little- and stretch (of course easier said than done)

GF2445

Record Breaker
That's a shame He probabky wont get through couldnt get Hola working

I've tried Hola so many times, only to be left feeling like raging at my computer screen :(
The youtube channel "Iceburg Up" has been very vigilant atm.

Update: James is scheduled to finish in 30th place atm.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Update: James is scheduled to finish in 27th place.
Massive improvement.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Despite the shockingly low score they received for their SD, i must say that Matilda and William's skating has jumped leaps and bounds compared tot he start of the season.

Despite the shockingly low score they received for their SD, i must say that Matilda and William's skating has jumped leaps and bounds compared tot he start of the season.

I have just checked out Matilda and William on video. Did they really deserve such a low score???

GF2445

Record Breaker
I have just checked out Matilda and William on video. Did they really deserve such a low score???

They didn't. They seriously got dumped by the judges. I hope they knew that they did such a great job and continue to make strides. They really have improved on their speed, flow and unison. Their edgework is getting cleaner. There seems to be a bit more confidence.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
is there a reason Kailani Craine did not skate both junior and senior worlds to ensure JGP spots? reading that seven other skaters will do this. Australia has now gone from 5 to 3 spots next season in ladies and ISA knew this would happen. You would really hope that our federation are looking after the sport as a whole by decisions not just favouring certain coaches kids and students to ensure they all get to go to worlds !

snsd

On the Ice
is there a reason Kailani Craine did not skate both junior and senior worlds to ensure JGP spots? reading that seven other skaters will do this. Australia has now gone from 5 to 3 spots next season in ladies and ISA knew this would happen. You would really hope that our federation are looking after the sport as a whole by decisions not just favouring certain coaches kids and students to ensure they all get to go to worlds !

I am 100% sure it was Kailani and her coaches choice not to do JW not anyone elses decision for a few reasons.
One its hard to do 3 big major events in a row without any downtime. Its asking a lot for her to do 4CC, JW and Worlds all in a row and expect great results at all 3. She has gone back to LA to train and work on doing her senior programs.
She is more concentrating on getting a good performance at Worlds to set her up and have a good experience under her belt for next season being the Olympic qualifying worlds. Better for her to get her name out there in senior!

She decided this on her own, Yes she was offered both events being the highest ranked junior and senior but in the end it is her decision.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We are not doing this. Not again.

An eight day turnaround across two separate continents is an insane idea that introduces an (IMO) unacceptable risk factor. Injury, exhaustion, jet lag, heck, it wouldn't be the first time this season that a member of Team Australia has had mislaid bags...and then there's the factor of different requirements for Junior and Senior.

Does it suck that Australia lost some JGP spots? Absolutely it sucks. But it is not Kailani's fault and no-one here should be bashing her for making the decision that was made. Short of the ISA forcing her to go, what did you want to happen? So seven other people have decided it's an acceptable risk. Whoop-de-doo, good for them. You'll notice however, that I think all of them are Europeans. Meaning, they weren't doing the double-continent hop to do both events. And for most of them, it's a case of no other option. Australia did have another option and we took it.

As for the ridiculous "favouring certain kids to go to Worlds"...like who? Are you going to deny that Brendan and Kailani are the best of the Seniors? Who other than James Min should have gone to JWC for the men in your opinion? Taking into account age eligibility, who above Katie Pasfield should have gone? Who other than Matilda and William? Bearing in mind also the minimum required scores for JWC?

This is nonsense. After what we saw at JWC we should be banding together and loudly hoping that if Brendan and Kailani deliver, they are given the scores that they deserve, and not dumped because of the flag next to their names. Not picking fights, again.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Well I think its a shame as I think she would have done well and it would have been a good warm up and posiibly even top 10. kaikani is a very fit athlete and would have easily coped as shes dine it at nationals twice.At seniors she may not even make cut. Risky and whoever is advising her put all her eggs in one basket.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, she competed both Jr and Sr at Nationals in three days. But that was at the same rink, in the same time zone, where all she had to do was change CDs.

Being fit doesn't mean jack if you're in Boston but your suitcase is still in Hungary!

I have every confidence that, if they are given the scores they deserve, both Brendan and Kailani will make the cut.

snsd

On the Ice
In reference to the junior worlds question, according to the ranking Charlton Doherty is the highest ranked however didn't do an international to achieve the scores before entry cut off date. So yes James min could go but only by an error on charltons teams behalf.