Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

Kalina

On the Ice
His fans simply don't care about what he's wearing. He likes that style whether we like it or not, we know that, end of the story.
Personally, and I've said this in other boards as well, I'm just relieved that it's not pink and that it looks decent in motion. But I see people are having lot of fun with the skirt jokes (all men probably, or you would know that skirts aren't usually worn around the armpits?)

tung

Rinkside
Not as exciting as the ladies but it's weird to see Patrick do so well early in the season.

I for one despise Patrick Chan's parents and their aborted attempt to make their son the Queen of Spain. I've never met them personally before but that doesn't mean I can't hate them and their devious attempt to take over the world.

I spent three wonderful days with Patrick, Tessi, Karen Chan, and Karen's elder sister, in 2012 late April. I had conversation with Kathy Johnson, and her husband at HongKong hotel cafe, next morning after meeting them at HongKong airport, the previous afternoon. Karen had spent 8 to 10 years in HongKong, after emigrating from mainland China, before studying in Ottawa university, where she met and married her husband Lewis. She was the mastermind behind her son's development and career, then. But things obviously changed after Tessi Johnson met her son. Don't get it wrong, the Chans do not approve of this quickie matchup, western style, and wanted instead the slow courtship, and distance association before actual day to day, 24 hour unity of the youngsters.( I would not divulge the exact conversation, when she said the gist of her meaning, to my wife, for privacy reasons). So there is no conspiracy to make Patrick Chan the Queen of Spain, or anyone you think of.

I am happy that Patrick had apparently put everything in order, after last season's shaky performances. And I notice that someone had reported on a regular 'real skating expert' Mr.Slipchuk, to accompany his head coach Johnson, in preparation the afternoon before the SP. And I think that Patrick strategy was smart, to stay away from the quad for the SP, and put up a faultless triple turn performance, instead, to ensure the high marks, to establish the lead for the LP. But in analysis, Patrick knew, like everyone nowadays, that his steps, footwork, smoothness, and technique, are a few rungs above most of his competitors, and thus use them to their advantage, instead of risking a quad attempt, and leave the door open for others.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm glad Yuzuru didn't look as sad and beaten as yesterday, but I'm still a bit anxious about his performance here and what this outing means for the future. Doesn't help that the next GP also has Patrick as direct competition. Oda, Oda, Oda...why didn't he go for his quad? He could've gotten silver here, should've risked it all, make a stand for himself. But he seemed slow and unfocused. I don't understand why. He was in a good position. He cannot count on his rivals to make mistakes like today so this seems very much a missed opportunity. On the other hand from a personal bias maybe this will be good for Daisuke. But then comes Patrick Chan. And I admit, I always loved Four Seasons since I was a child. And that LP is really beautiful, something very easy to love. I think Patrick will win the OGM. Yes, still 4 months to go, and we still don't know how Fernandez or Plushenko play into this, but with a beautiful program like this, his rivals will have a hard time and they have to go clean. And if he skates his best, he definitely deserves it, as he deserved his SC win tonight. And I say that while he is not my favourite. Don't know why this is so hard to admit for some people.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Chan continues to miss the triple salchow in his three jump combo he should replace the double axel at the end with the salchow And those who think Chan can win so many falls come on get real. COP is more than just jumps and heck spins or tes. but falls cost a lot of points. Yes, I pointed out he missed some jumps but he didn't fall. Unlike Abbottt, Chan and Dai's performances even with several errors tend to hold up well skating skills but I have to say when Abbott falls apart it is ugly. I think worse than Zhang almost. I don't appreciate his programs with all those errors. I watch and maybe because the ss of Chan is so amazing but it is art when he sets up for his jumps but I see even Hanyu stalking their jumps comparatively. I think the fair analogy is this when chan is reasonably on his diamond may not be as big as say Javier, a clean Brezina or Aaron or Rippon but he is a better cut, clarity and quality of diamond and thus "worth" more. I am sorry folks about my penchant to have fun on this page too but seriously Chan needs to skate clean because look at those tes of Aaron last week with mistakes! I have no problems with the judges say giving Chan a 92 for pcs and the next highest would be a clean Dai or Abbott say at 83 or 84. Good point it is early on so things could change but it does appear Abbott is very incosnisent and not a sure thing to go to the olympics.

babyskate

On the Ice
I just had the opportunity to watch some of the videos. I was very taken by Joshua Farris' program as I am always moved by the Schindler's List music. It was elegant choreography that captured the mood of the piece well. If I compare to another fave of mine Jason Brown, I would say that Jason's choreography and style is a little more interesting to me, but these two young men are certainly the ones to watch. With the way some of the favorites have been skating and the unpredictability of the sport, it could easily be one of these two somewhere on the podium at Nationals.

So there is no conspiracy to make Patrick Chan the Queen of Spain, or anyone you think of.

Srin Odessa was kidding about that. Srin Odessa was continuing a joke about how foolish it is to criticize a skater's coach, family, etc., on a personal basis.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Patrick CHAN (CAN) - 262.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) - 234.80 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Nobunari ODA (JPN) - 233.00 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 218.32 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 216.72 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 215.95 Free Skate
7. Elladj BALDE (CAN) - 205.19 Free Skate
8. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 197.35 Free Skate
9. Ross MINER (USA) - 196.89 Free Skate
10. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 188.53 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

Men's Medal Ceremony

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
A portion of the press conference with Patrick speaking about his quads and training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73ZhGuZeiQE

Hanyu and Oda look exhausted. There are also videos for the other Canadian medalists.

Srin Odessa was kidding about that. Srin Odessa was continuing a joke about how foolish it is to criticize a skater's coach, family, etc., on a personal basis.

Hey, they were so close to reestablishing the Spanish monarchy along with the Illuminati and the Nanny from Muppet Babies.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I'm glad Yuzuru didn't look as sad and beaten as yesterday, but I'm still a bit anxious about his performance here and what this outing means for the future. Doesn't help that the next GP also has Patrick as direct competition. Oda, Oda, Oda...why didn't he go for his quad? He could've gotten silver here, should've risked it all, make a stand for himself. But he seemed slow and unfocused. I don't understand why. He was in a good position. He cannot count on his rivals to make mistakes like today so this seems very much a missed opportunity. On the other hand from a personal bias maybe this will be good for Daisuke. But then comes Patrick Chan. And I admit, I always loved Four Seasons since I was a child. And that LP is really beautiful, something very easy to love. I think Patrick will win the OGM. Yes, still 4 months to go, and we still don't know how Fernandez or Plushenko play into this, but with a beautiful program like this, his rivals will have a hard time and they have to go clean. And if he skates his best, he definitely deserves it, as he deserved his SC win tonight. And I say that while he is not my favourite. Don't know why this is so hard to admit for some people.

Oda basically lost the silver by forgetting to do a 3rd combo and the 3 jumps combination. Had he did it, he will had earn another 3 points.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think the Japanese federation is putting Hanyu too much pressure, as one of the main contender to challenger Chan and on podium. He needs to pace himself and see a sport psychologist maybe to handle the pressure. One the brighter side, he is improving and doesn't look like he is about to pass out after the LP. Falling on quads, happens and pop on 3A is probably timing thing. He knows he has to land all the jumps because he will be in 15+ points deficit in PCS no matter what compare to judges' pet. I think that is putting pressure on all the guys head...'thinking....gotta land the quad quad quad...' Maybe he just needs to relax and skates his best...ok silver or bronze is still good.

sweetskates1

Medalist
He has his severely weak lungs and the distance from his home to deal with as well. Another 'problem' is his overtly feminine style. Unfortunately, I think that federations and judges will continue to reward the "more masculine" skaters. And, I feel, that sadly, he is turning into another Johnny Weir (with higher technical skills), highly capable and graceful but inconsistent.

I think the Japanese federation is putting Hanyu too much pressure, as one of the main contender to challenger Chan and on podium. He needs to pace himself and see a sport psychologist maybe to handle the pressure. One the brighter side, he is improving and doesn't look like he is about to pass out after the LP. Falling on quads, happens and pop on 3A is probably timing thing. He knows he has to land all the jumps because he will be in 15+ points deficit in PCS no matter what compare to judges' pet. I think that is putting pressure on all the guys head...'thinking....gotta land the quad quad quad...' Maybe he just needs to relax and skates his best...ok silver or bronze is still good.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hanyu´s Julia costume does not seem to be a lucky one for competitions... What about being a Romeo instead and having a man´s shirt? Chan definetely deserved his win! Oh, Oda, Oda, can you not learn to understand what is still open for you to do if you make a mistake (or more)? I was impressed by Farris and hope that he will be readi with his programmes soon. He and Rippon would be great choices for the Olympics, in my opinion. But they both have to be excellent at the US Nationals...

I don't think we should be too hard in Oda for not tacking on a couple of 2T's somewhere. He was up the creek after opening with 3T and 3T (seq). Now you have to think quick to figure out what you can and can't do. Better just to concentrate on skating the rest of the program cleanly. It was the flip that cost him second place.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't think we should be too hard in Oda for not tacking on a couple of 2T's somewhere. He was up the creek after opening with 3T and 3T (seq). Now you have to think quick to figure out what you can and can't do. Better just to concentrate on skating the rest of the program cleanly. It was the flip that cost him second place.

Agree - especially since it is Oda we are talking about. Thinking on his feet is not his strong area - I'm sure he's been told not to do that. I'm just glad he didn't end up with three 3Ts or something...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Ooooh Jeremy… better luck in Japan...

Ooooh Nobunari …. better luck in Japan...

I want to see them both in Sochi :eek:hwell:

Congrats to Patrick!!! If he nails his jumps in Sochi, this could be the greatest men's figure skating olympic gold performance ever. In tough competition with Yagudin :)

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Oda basically lost the silver by forgetting to do a 3rd combo and the 3 jumps combination. Had he did it, he will had earn another 3 points.

He only needed to tuck a single toe-loop at the end of the second 3T, which was good enough to have a couple of 2T in quality. What a pity! I guess he's scared to make too many combos. How come it's so difficult for him to understand the concept? He could also make the last jump a combo or even a three-jump combo. I'm pulling my hairs for him. Sigh....

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Love Patrick Chan's LP, so beautiful and intricate. Hopefully he will be able to save a clean skate for the Olympics.

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Love Patrick Chan's LP, so beautiful in intricate. Hopefully he will be able to save a clean skate for the Olympics.

IA. Amazing. His skating skills, transitions & footwork all show why he's #1 in the world & make some of the other guys in the competition look like juniors. He becomes another instrument as he interprets his music. Also loving his shirt with what appears to be embossed leaves - suits the program. For an October showing this was pretty good.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Patrick may very win every competition he enters including the Olympics this year and after but he will never compare to Yagudin - that man is a living legend.

Ooooh Jeremy… better luck in Japan...

Ooooh Nobunari …. better luck in Japan...

I want to see them both in Sochi :eek:hwell:

Congrats to Patrick!!! If he nails his jumps in Sochi, this could be the greatest men's figure skating olympic gold performance ever. In tough competition with Yagudin :)