Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2013-2014 Men's Long Program

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So Patrick missed one triple axel, on double axel, one triple salchow and his spins need work and his footwork though great he needs to make sure he gets those levels up. He doesn't have the potential of Fernandez or Max Aaron though Javier is more of a concern and Hanyu. Really concerning Ptrick can't land the axel or alchow often. Did he also have trouble with the loop too? I would get a new shirt as well maybe something in white with a very dramatic but simple branch
prin for four seasons and yes, less cleavage. Maybe a bit of a japanese kimono look would work? A bit of hair grooming might help too. Now in fairness - his inbetweens, the intricacy the program - wow - do you know how fit one has to be to do that - maybe that is why he didn't have energy to land some of those jumps he missed - easily 10 to 15 points left - and I am sure those spins nad footwork need to be examined for full levels. So much flow though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really like hanyu but his programme this year while I am sure he is working on it is rather meh, so so. I am not of a fan of his outfit because:

1. it looks like Johnny Weir is missing one of his club outfits and it should go home to Johnny
2. it has that swan lake, black swan look all the girls seem to like
3. the ruffle thing has that Lola she was a show girl effect
4. when bad outfits happen to good people

enough sarcasm.

His technical prowess is there though :) \but I know there are so many chan haters, I don't think (had the skating coach pointing out things to me) Chan gets ENOUGH credit for his skating skills. Hanyu is good but is his edging and security of edging isn't even close to Chan's. So people can whine about Patrick''s PE or interpretation a bit but he should be killing everyone by like 1/2 a point at least for transitions, skating skills and choreography..

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Lots of disappointments tonight. Thank goodness for Patrick he shocked me back from the haze
that was surrounding me from the prior skaters (Oda excluded) and reminded me what elite skating is
all about. He was absolutely fabulous!

Congrats to the Medalists!
He missed several jumps and I don't think he got all his levels on spins and footwork ; he needs them if he has any chance against Fernandez.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I remember seeing Yuzu a couple of years ago and thought he had great potential. Where have his program components gone? He is not in the same league as Chan.

ITA. I know we can talk about all the missed jumps by Chan and all but his skating skills need to be recognized more imho; they should be worth a 3a! lol

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
With their jump success rate and the fact that they rotate in different directions, that has disaster written all over it.

Maybe they can fall in unison? But the problem with singles skaters is they often are big enough for the lifts. Pairs is very different you need strength and timing and good coordination and the ability to not be the sole diva on the ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I've tried to come up with something for four minutes, but there's just nothing nice I can say about Hanyu's costume..

Well it is versatile. He could be a swan, a cross dresser and it is one of those tops that could be for a man with "unusual " taste or a woman. And it is sparkly. You could wear it to a Halloween party and then your wife could wear it for New Year's!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thank you Mathman! Very helpful. and you know, I HAVE seen Fernadez, and he looked weak. His new programs are not as good as last year's. I don't think anyone currently skating is anywhere close to Patrick in overall quality.

Look at the scores on tes and Chan is too far down the list to compete with a lot of them like Brezina has huge potential, Javier, Max Aaron is killing Chan even with mistakes remember I believe it was yagudin who over ten years ago had 2 quads and six triples in a conservative routine. Chan needs to be perfect; he is lacking technical abilities.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really? And thats why hes 3 time National Champ, right? :sarcasm:

So tell me, IcyEdges, what did Jeremy do at every single competition AFTER those Nationals during that season?

Jeremy is a gorgeous skater. There's no denying that. When he's on, it's beautiful to watch. But the sad fact is - and what his fans need to accept - he is a headcase. You can NEVER guarantee which Jeremy will show up. And he is "off" far, far, too often.

stickle

Rinkside
Look at the scores on tes and Chan is too far down the list to compete with a lot of them like Brezina has huge potential, Javier, Max Aaron is killing Chan even with mistakes remember I believe it was yagudin who over ten years ago had 2 quads and six triples in a conservative routine. Chan needs to be perfect; he is lacking technical abilities.

Are you the designated clown of goldenskate? Is this your attempt at comedy?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you the designated clown of goldenskate? Is this your attempt at comedy?

Apparently so, as Chan would have to fall 7 times to lose to someone like Max Aaron and Michal Brezina. Patrick is echelons better than both of them; they are not a threat to him unless he is deathly ill or injured.

spikydurian

Medalist
After chan Hanyu is one of my faves so I was sorry to see his skate. The good news is he didn't cry and his second place will help towards the GPF
He looked nervous. He did a comp B earlier. Maybe he was tired. Coupled with Sochi and high expectations as reigning National champion, the pressure may not be easy for an 18yo to handle.

So tell me, IcyEdges, what did Jeremy do at every single competition AFTER those Nationals during that season?

Jeremy is a gorgeous skater. There's no denying that. When he's on, it's beautiful to watch. But the sad fact is - and what his fans need to accept - he is a headcase. You can NEVER guarantee which Jeremy will show up. And he is "off" far, far, too often.

If Jeremy meets the qualification to represent USA in Sochi, then he should be given the chance without putting him down, Karne. No one can predict who will bomb at each outing. I am sure no skaters like to bomb.

By the way, what have you against Jeremy? You seem to get hysterical over him all the time? Were you two enemies in past life?

flaneur

On the Ice
Finally watched all the men. Some thoughts:

Mura: Like Max Aaron he needs his jumps. His lack of international experience was shown tonight. If i recall correctly, he didn't do well at SC last year either but followed it up with a GP win later in the season so maybe it is just his thing.

Oda: Looked really nervous. I think all his issues were in his head today (but with Oda isn't it always?). Had a chance to strongly reinsert himself into the Japanese Olympic team conversation... maybe that thought was his downfall (that and skating after a shaky Hanyu).

Hanyu: Fell apart today. On a positive note I think his stamina has improved (Got up from his quad fall pretty quickly. Didn't look like he was about to pass out after the LP). On a critical note his SS is still pretty sloppy.

Felt like the three Japanese Men all fell to Olympic pressure tonight. With the Japanese federation telling them they will be evaluated through all the GP events it's no wonder that they all looked off. Now that we have seen all 6 in either SC or SA, the only one to have risen to the challenge is Machida (who I would have rated has the least likely to make the Olympic team). Season is still young though.

Abbott: Oi. Completely came apart at the seams. I really love the program but that was uncomfortable to watch. Almost wanted to mercy end it.

Chan: Was the convincing winner tonight. He actually left a lot of points on the table (3A and some doubles and the last spin). But the program seems to have good legs and it was a solid start to the season for him. He was really feeling his footwork tonight.

Icey

Record Breaker
I seem to recall that Stephane Lambiel had several dependable quads but often flubbed the triple axel.

I wasn't able to watch but feel awful about the descriptions of Jeremy Abbott's long program. This guy has so much talent, and he almost never seems able to show it.

His ability to execute his talent is flawed, so I would say his talent, to whatever degree he has some, is lacking in something very important.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think I get Hanyu's costume now. He must be doing a whole "Black Swan" thing - where people play both the white swan and the black swan. I'm guessing Hanyu is playing both Romeo and Juliet in this program - I don't know how else to explain that frilly costume he's wearing.

What a brilliant concept, but a concept that is not obvious enough the audience would not require a public announcement : Tonight Mr. Hanyu will be skating both Romeo and Juliet. And even then only a few psychoanalytic types would probably buy in to it.

Is it true this notorious "skirt" was designed by the fabulous Johnny Weir?

Icey

Record Breaker
Those complaining about Chan's cleavage. Isn't his girlfriend a designer, and probably designs his costumes. If so she probably likes to see his cleavage and thinks others will enjoy it too. Probably wrong, but this could be Patrick's best performance FOR the year, at least as far as falls go.

There is no "figure" jumping or "figure" skating anymore, Wally.;)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Hanyu: Fell apart today. On a positive note I think his stamina has improved (Got up from his quad fall pretty quickly. Didn't look like he was about to pass out after the LP). On a critical note his SS is still pretty sloppy.

I'm encouraged by the apparent improvement in stamina as well. He actually got stronger as the program progressed, so I think his team has done a lot of work in this area. He also didn't seem wiped out after his skate at Finlandia, and that one was technically packed. As for the SS, he's obviously got a ways to go compared to Patrick, but I think his capabilities didn't come through in this performance. In practices the program seems to have much more flow, so we'll just have to see if he can translate that into the real thing.

I didn't get the impression that Oda was nervous, but I do think he has confidence issues when it comes to his quads and all. I'm really liking both his programs, especially the SP, and I think he still has a good shot at an Olympic spot.

I think this is my favourite LP by Patrick in recent years, you can tell he's really comfortable with the music and the program. In previous seasons I sometimes felt he was trying too hard to interpret his music and act like an arteest, but it seemed to come easily to him this time.

You know, I told you so : http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ll-go-to-Sochi&p=773415&viewfull=1#post773415

But when I tried to phrase my feedback diplomatically, I was immediately attacked and accused anywhere from incompetent to homophobic. Hanyu's ubers should know they are not doing him any favor by making him an emperor without clothes by shielding away constructive feedback.

OTOH, what's with all this attention on his costume this year? Am I the only one who thinks its an improvement over last season's pink one? I can barely notice the gems/lace when he's in action for the 4.5 minutes, and even if its not an ideal look for him there's not much to talk about other than to state your opinion and move on. Obviously part of the fun of being a skating fan includes discussions about costumes, but since when does ragging on skating outfits count as 'constructive feedback?' :p Let the boy wear what he wants, even his fans aren't this invested in it. There are lots of more interesting things about him to discuss.

edit: this includes Patrick too. although all around trying to stem costume disses might be asking too much :biggrin: