Ladies Q A - Notes & Results | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies Q A - Notes & Results

ElsaSchraeder

Spectator
brenlynn said:
was hoping to see kirk do a bit better, but it is her 1st worlds, so it's not too bad! plus she has a great sp and she sells her lp as well, so i am hoping she'll go nowhere but up!!

Actually, Kirk's first Worlds was 2002 - she went when Sarah Hughes dropped out. Withdrew after placing 15th in the sp.

brenlynn

On the Ice
ElsaSchraeder said:
Actually, Kirk's first Worlds was 2002 - she went when Sarah Hughes dropped out. Withdrew after placing 15th in the sp.

i knew that, but i meant it as in her 1st that she'll actually complete and be healthy, so really this is her first full worlds experience.

lavender

Record Breaker
Re: Holy Horse Spit!!!!

Doggygirl said:
Many people thought that given Sasha and Michelle's "rest of the package" they wouldn't be necessary. But it sure sounds like some of the 3/3 ladies are bringing their "rest of the package" together. Will be interested to go back to that topic once all the kissin' and cryin' is over.

DG
Well the 3/3s aren't necessary for Sasha and Michelle if they stand on their feet and skate with fire. Miki Ando falling on a quad will get her more points so she's where she should be.

Michelle's presentation is really up there with that flawed skate so if she skates clean she will have much higher scores technically and presentation wise.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Yikes............this is what makes this sport so exciting. The short program is gonna be a cat fight..........okay, let me get this straight, by my best guess, the final flight of six skaters will be Sasha, Michelle, Shizuka, Ando, Solcolova, and Sebestyn? Correct? 42

Evdokia

On the Ice
:eek: Wow, to me it looks like Slutskaya was held up against Kostner and Volchkova and Kwan against Pokyo, Kostner, Volchkova & Suguri. - So Volchkova it the one who was robbed most! :( What a weird QR! !:rolleye:
And :cry: about Lautova

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A good performance by a skater - any skater - deserves to be rewarded.

ITA, Rain!!!

Artistry YES should be rewarded... but so should the jumps... it is whoever skates THE BEST technically AND artistically... not one or the other...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Anyone else...

...getting the e-mail reports from www.figureskatingreports.com? Very interesting observations, especially about the A group. Would love to share thoughts with anyone else who signed up for those reports, but DANG it's copywrited so can't talk about it here. PM me if you get this report and want to chat.

DG

clairecloutier

Final Flight
This is really pretty shocking! I'm really disappointed Michelle skated so poorly. This must be the worst she's skated in any qualifying round at Worlds. I wonder what went wrong . . . And it does sound, at least on the surface, like she was very much held up by the judges (both her and Irina), which is a shame as well.

I don't know about these qualifying rounds at Worlds. If they're going to do it at all, the skaters should absolutely be seeded. It just doesn't seem fair to do it any other way. Group B was a lot less competitive than Group A.

The win in Group B certainly sets Sasha up nicely. She's definitely the favorite to win the short program, I think, which could give her a big lead going into the long. In a way, I guess it's a bit of payback. Last year Sasha had to skate in the same qualifying group with Kwan and Sokolova and somehow wound up third despite doing a 7-triple program. (I think I'm remembering this right, correct me if not.) Basically Sasha kind of got the shaft in the QR last year, so maybe it's divine justice that she lucked out in the QR this year. Anyhow, she's in a great spot, and so are Arakawa, Sokolova, and Ando. I didn't expect Arakawa to do so well--good for her.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the short, but my feeling is Michelle may be out of contention for the title at this point, and probably rightfully so. Maybe if she wins the short, she'll still have a chance. But I don't know if I see that happening. Sasha is just so strong in the short.

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think that MK is out of contention yet. As evidenced by the men's event, there was a lot of jumping around in the standings after the short program. I do think that this event is Sasha's to lose. She normally wins the short program but it will be interesting how Arakawa will match up with her there.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
First of all, kudos to Arakawa -- I am very much looking forward to seeing her on the podium.

Secondly, I am NOT shocked about Michelle being 3rd. This may sound crazy, but on occasion I get these "Skating Psychic Flashes" during competitions (I kid you not; the night before the Ladies final at the Calgary Olympics, I had a dream that Thomas was going to tank, Trenary was going to be 4th, and Caryn Kadavy was going to withdraw. It wasn't that straightforward, but it's what it boiled down to and it's what happened.) Anyway -- a couple of days ago I totally pictured pulling up the qualifying results off the ISU site and seeing "3. Michelle Kwan". Now I'm just weirded out, actually.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
... and Michelle does do well when her back is up against the wall and she has to come from behind.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
QR / COP?

Assuming COP comes in, I wonder how that will impact the QR? Anyone heard anything? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm a QR idiot. But aren't there two different sets of judges for the A/B groups? If so, couldn't that have an impact if total points are accumulated as opposed to just rankings basically? Maybe I'm smokin' crack here....just wondering...maybe it doesn't make any difference in an already whacky QR world.

DG

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think CoP will actually make QR a little more fair, as it won't matter as much if one group happens to be stronger than the other. And yes, it is a different set of judges.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Re: Re: Holy Horse Spit!!!!

lavender said:
Miki Ando falling on a quad will get her more points so she's where she should be.

I find that so irritating - especially since Rosaleen reported that it was 1/2 rotation short. Credit should only be given when completed - no 'A for effort' here, IMO.

I'm very cursious to see Ando skate - I never have. I've heard she's all jump w/ little refinement? Also, and maybe I didn't read the report properly, but it looked as though she had 4 triples (although that did include a 3/3), 2a, and a failed quad? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't all that impressive.

Can't wait to see her skate. I've heard about her for so long now, but haven't seen anything yet. Maybe I'll be impressed when I do.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
On Ando...

Of course I've seen nothing myself. But of all the various reports I've read in various places, the prevailing "noise" about the placements have been:

Michelle propped up.
Irina propped up.
Viktoria wuzrobbed.

I've not seen anyone mention that they felt Ando didn't deserve the placement she got.

So....I can't WAIT to see this gal skate!

DG

Kwantessence

Rinkside
Kwan vs Ando

Looking at Michelle's skating skills, it is not inconceivable that a 4 triple( with a fall) Michelle can beat a 5 triple (with a fall) Ando. Especially when a two 3/3 (7 triple program) Sokolova was placed below a 6 triple Michelle. Obviously the jumps are part of the whole package, but they are not the whole package. As for Volchkova, it has been reported time & time again that she skates very slowly even if she is one of the best jumpers (techniquely) in the world. Slow skating can detract from the overall impact of a jump filled program.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Welcome to Goldenskate Kwantessence!

Since I didn't see any of these performances myself, I have no idea what my personal opinion would be. Just wanted to clarify that I'm sharing broad general comments I've seen from people who are there.

Glad you joined us! What an exciting comp so far. Selfish me - I love the excitement of shake ups. I hope the ladies all put down excellent SP's and LP's!

DG

Lucy25

Final Flight
I am wondering how a clean toe-less program from Sasha will fair against a clean Shizuka. It sounds like that jump will not be planned for the LP either.

From the sound of things, Shizuka had the best skate of the day by far. We'll see if it continues. I hope her injury (pulled leg muscle) doesn't affect her later on. It seemed not to bother her performance today.

I am not too worried about Michelle at this point. I know she is mad at herself for missing two jumps. If she skates well in the SP and LP, but doesn't win overall, I don't think I will be too bothered. She has nothing else to prove.